Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 06:16 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thyroid disease can predispose people to diabetes, and it doesn't matter how much they weigh. They may start noticing pre-diabetes symptoms at some point, even if they've been slim and trim all their lives.

Thyroid disease is (typically, there are exceptions) an auto-immune disease/disorder. So is diabetes. There is some thought out there that if one is diagnosed with one auto-immune disorder, they are predisposed to others. Makes sense. If the body is attacking its own organisms, it's not going to stop at just one type.

People love to pass judgment on others who don't meet their definition of "healthy" or "thin". They point fingers and place the blame of serious health risks on the individual. It's their way of feeling somehow superior.

Mostly I just laugh at their stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 10:10 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Thyroid disease is (typically, there are exceptions) an auto-immune disease/disorder. So is diabetes. There is some thought out there that if one is diagnosed with one auto-immune disorder, they are predisposed to others. Makes sense. If the body is attacking its own organisms, it's not going to stop at just one type.

People love to pass judgment on others who don't meet their definition of "healthy" or "thin". They point fingers and place the blame of serious health risks on the individual. It's their way of feeling somehow superior.

Mostly I just laugh at their stupidity.
Diabetes is an auto-immune disorder? Could you elaborate on that a little?

Old 09-01-2017, 10:52 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Quote:
Diabetes is an auto-immune disorder? Could you elaborate on that a little?

Although this article is a little old (2011) it definitely explains things better than I could.

Hope it helps:

Is Type 2 Diabetes An Autoimmune Disease?

Old 09-02-2017, 09:23 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Although this article is a little old (2011) it definitely explains things better than I could.

Hope it helps:

From that article: "B cells promote insulin resistance through modulation of T cells and production of pathogenic IgG antibodies."...they forgot to add "in our special strain of genetically engineered mice."

Moral of that story-- don't feed your special strain of genetically engineered mice a hi fat diet if you don't want them to develop diabetes. Hi fat diets don't cause diabetes in humans.

Be cautious in extrapolating results of animal studies to humans. Remember that Lasix can cause bleeding in humans and prevents it in race horses.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:37 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You imply that surgical removal of the fat would cure the diabetes. Patently false. (BTW- insulin receptors bind insulin, not fat.)
Of course youre free to believe whatever you want to believe, as we all are, but the scientists actually who study type 2 diabetes for a living have found that losing 1 gram of fat from the pancreas/liver removes diabetes in many patients...if people want to claim that science is "patently false", thats certainly their choice...there are also those who still believe the earth is flat...I would encourage you to direct your patently false allegation to the doctors who study and report the findings though, as Im not the one making the claim...but its ironic that you mention surgery, since actually, even MORE research shows bariatric/weight loss surgery DOES eliminate diabetes/normalizes insulin response in most cases.

Last edited by soletaire; 09-02-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-02-2017, 09:41 AM

There is also recent speculation that type 2 diabetes could be caused by a rogue protein that is transmissible through food. Not sure how that theory will pan out.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Hope it helps:

I see. It's saying that Type 1 is an auto-immune disease, and some researchers are thinking type 2 might get classified that way eventually, too.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I see. It's saying that Type 1 is an auto-immune disease, and some researchers are thinking type 2 might get classified that way eventually, too.
This is true...it is a very recent finding that I dont think most people have heard about yet, but I read the same thing a few weeks ago.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Yes, I understand the difference.

And if you don't understand that the best way to avoid Type 2 diabetes is maintain the correct weight and exercise (like the best way to avoid lung cancer is to not smoke and the best way to avoid skin cancer is not to fry in the sun), there is no point in continuing the debate.

I don't care if you want to call it increasing risk or causation or correlation or whatever. T2, for the most part, can be avoided.

Why are you in such denial about T2 diabetes and obesity?
People who are thin and who exercise regularly can still get it. It depends on many factors. Diabetes is a condition of insulin dysfunction. That can happen to anyone; obesity doesn't have to be present for that to develop.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
People who are thin and who exercise regularly can still get it. It depends on many factors. Diabetes is a condition of insulin dysfunction. That can happen to anyone; obesity doesn't have to be present for that to develop.
for certain, my son's father was always very thin and so is his daughter, both are type 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes