Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:48 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

I have just read an article by Dr. Sircus where he says that Magnesium is necessary for the action and manufacture of insulin. And vice versa, without insulin magnesium is not transported from our blood into our cells where it is most needed. So insulin is not just responsible for regulating sugar entry into the cells but also magnesium. Magnesium deficiency is associated with insulin resistance.

This reminds me of the young woman in the room with me at my last rehab, she was 33, insulin dependent and was found to almost have no magnesium in her system. The rehab was giving her mag every day but she must have gone a long time not knowing she was diabetic. She was involved in a terrible auto accident and lost one leg below her knee. Tragic and a mother of 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 07:26 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Studies show that diabetics are severely deficient in magnesium, and they use more of it than non-diabetics. And since excess mg is excreted daily (like Vit C) it has to be replenished constantly. It also takes a long time for a person to build up their stores. I have been supplementing heavily for a couple years now and I think it took me a year to feel like it was near where it should be.

I use the powder form of mag citrate. I can feel it's relaxing properties instantly. I will never be without it. Great for high blood pressure.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:40 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Studies show that diabetics are severely deficient in magnesium, and they use more of it than non-diabetics. And since excess mg is excreted daily (like Vit C) it has to be replenished constantly. It also takes a long time for a person to build up their stores. I have been supplementing heavily for a couple years now and I think it took me a year to feel like it was near where it should be.

I use the powder form of mag citrate. I can feel it's relaxing properties instantly. I will never be without it. Great for high blood pressure.

How much do you take daily?

Old 05-10-2017, 03:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I take magnesium citrate as well. I only use it to help with digestion. I have it in powder form and the recommended therapeutic dose is 400mg however unless you have a mg scale or a scale that weighs 100th of a gram it's difficult to measure. I just ordered and received mag citrate tablets but they are huge! You have to take them one at a time. The powder is pure. I would take a dose as needed to stay regular and measure one teaspoon with a small amount of water, mix it with a spoon and then drink , followed by more water. This teaspoon comes out to be about 3g or 3000mg. So if you measured about 1/8 teaspoon that would equal 375mg which is roughly what you need per day. It is kind of pain which is why ordered the tablets. That is one of the drawbacks to the citrate. If you get another type like oxide which is not as good, the tablets are much smaller.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:22 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I like powder form, and it is difficult to say how much I use per day. What I do is measure very small amounts at a time at various times per day. It is much more effective to do it this way than to take a large amount at once. Also, the powder enters your bloodstream almost immediately and you can feel its relaxing effects. It is great for reducing blood pressure, also.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:59 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Thanks. I do have the tablets and yes, they are huge!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:03 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times
Can I join the discussion?
I have recently been dx'd Diabetes 2. I am on Janumet 50/1000mg for that, but have also been experimenting with herbal supplements as well as mineral. Documenting as I go along.

I have tried Berberine, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar capsules, gymnema silvestre so far. I also have continued researching alternative medicines and had come across the same info about using magnesium. At first, I used it sporadically, as I have to crush them to swallow them. But I also noticed on the days I took magnesium, my Blood Glucose levels were within target range or below.

This week, I have been just taking the magnesium as well as the Janumet. My BG numbers have all been excellent. I am not taking any of the other herbal supplements either, as I am just seeing what the magnesium results will do.
Daily, I have been doing online research on Diabetes management. My Dr never mentioned my taking any Diabetes Education. The office just handed me some pamphlets and sent me along my way. I wonder if that is because I am currently un-insured.

Anyway, maybe there is something there. About diabetes being partly due to magnesium deficiency. I have always had the insulin resistance due to PCOS, but it only recently developed int diabetes.

I have observed that all of our bodies react differently to medications etc. Even foods. Of course. My body metabolizes medications far different than my DH. He is very sensitive to drugs and medications and alcohol, but I have found that with many medications, they do not work at all. Painkillers, etc.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:39 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
You have to crush them to swallow? They do sell a Magnesium Citrate powder which I bought and have but it became a pain to take on a regular basis. This is the "preferred" type of Magnesium to take or so I read. So, I bought it in pill form and the tablets are huge. I do not have problem swallowing them with plenty of water but I can see your point about having to crush them. So you may want to look into the powder form of the Mag. It has a pleasant taste sort of like citrus which is where it gets its name?

Magnesium Citrate Powder 8 oz. (227 g) | Magnesium Citrate Benefits | Piping Rock Health Products

Old 07-21-2017, 01:11 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I use only softgel and capsules for magnesium supply. No need to take hard rock tablets and crush them. There are also many forms of mag powders.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:22 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Mag oxide tabs are small, cheap, better absorbed and less of a tendency to loosen the bowels than other preps. Mg and Ca both tend to slow nerve conduction-- that's why some may feel more calm when taking them. ("Spirited horses" are often calmed down by giving them Mg )

Mg is readily available in our diets and usually only gets measurably low when we're also taking diuretics. (That doesn't mean total body Mg isn't low-- serum Mg level can still be normal.)

Also- diabetics are often deficient in Chromium. I knew of a diabetic with a non-healing foot ulcer for two years. It healed in two weeks after starting on Chromium supplements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes