Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:30 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Mag oxide tabs are small, cheap, better absorbed and less of a tendency to loosen the bowels than other preps. Mg and Ca both tend to slow nerve conduction-- that's why some may feel more calm when taking them. ("Spirited horses" are often calmed down by giving them Mg )

Mg is readily available in our diets and usually only gets measurably low when we're also taking diuretics. (That doesn't mean total body Mg isn't low-- serum Mg level can still be normal.)

Also- diabetics are often deficient in Chromium. I knew of a diabetic with a non-healing foot ulcer for two years. It healed in two weeks after starting on Chromium supplements.
Not true, mag oxide is less absorbed mag and more tendency for loose bowels. It's the cheapest form, wonder why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM

265 posts, read 686,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Can I join the discussion?
I have recently been dx'd Diabetes 2. I am on Janumet 50/1000mg for that, but have also been experimenting with herbal supplements as well as mineral. Documenting as I go along.

I have tried Berberine, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar capsules, gymnema silvestre so far. I also have continued researching alternative medicines and had come across the same info about using magnesium. At first, I used it sporadically, as I have to crush them to swallow them. But I also noticed on the days I took magnesium, my Blood Glucose levels were within target range or below.

This week, I have been just taking the magnesium as well as the Janumet. My BG numbers have all been excellent. I am not taking any of the other herbal supplements either, as I am just seeing what the magnesium results will do.
Daily, I have been doing online research on Diabetes management. My Dr never mentioned my taking any Diabetes Education. The office just handed me some pamphlets and sent me along my way. I wonder if that is because I am currently un-insured.

Anyway, maybe there is something there. About diabetes being partly due to magnesium deficiency. I have always had the insulin resistance due to PCOS, but it only recently developed int diabetes.

I have observed that all of our bodies react differently to medications etc. Even foods. Of course. My body metabolizes medications far different than my DH. He is very sensitive to drugs and medications and alcohol, but I have found that with many medications, they do not work at all. Painkillers, etc.
Hi, did you not think your other supplements,vits work as well since you're trying the MAG?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:05 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatehumidity View Post
Hi, did you not think your other supplements,vits work as well since you're trying the MAG?
The magnesium has worked very well for ME. Others may get different results. I will keep experimenting with the herbal supplements occasionally, but for now, I will stick with magnesium.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:17 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Mag oxide tabs are small, cheap, better absorbed and less of a tendency to loosen the bowels than other preps. Mg and Ca both tend to slow nerve conduction-- that's why some may feel more calm when taking them. ("Spirited horses" are often calmed down by giving them Mg )

Mg is readily available in our diets and usually only gets measurably low when we're also taking diuretics. (That doesn't mean total body Mg isn't low-- serum Mg level can still be normal.)

Also- diabetics are often deficient in Chromium. I knew of a diabetic with a non-healing foot ulcer for two years. It healed in two weeks after starting on Chromium supplements.
Magnesium Oxide tabs ARE small and cheap (for a reason). A lot of low carbers (like me) take Mag for help with constipation and actually want to loosen things up a bit, lol. Plenty of water will help as well. It does have many other benefits as well. Greens such as Romaine lettuce and Spinach contain a good amount of Mag and it is preferable to get it from foods for much better absorption. The darker the green, the more Magnesium that is contained. Of course that isn't always possible which is why I take supplements.

The Best Kind of Magnesium For You

Old 07-21-2017, 02:45 PM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Not true, mag oxide is less absorbed mag and more tendency for loose bowels. It's the cheapest form, wonder why.

??? Mag citrate is the basis of bowel preps for colonscopy. MgOxide is given as supplement with KCl for those on diuretics expressly because it causes less bowel effects.

A serving of beef has about 25mg Mg, spinach 117 and romaine lettuce 0.8mg
Spinach, frozen, chopped or leaf, unprepared Nutrition Facts & Calories

Mg is mainly an intracellular ion: serum levels are on the order of 2mg%- distributed over ~5L, while intracellular levels are ~200mg% distributed over ~50L, ie- total body stores ~ 100,000mg. RDA is on the order of 300mg/d-- pretty hard to increase body stores by diet alone if you're depleted. You need pharmacological doses to do that.

BTW- carbs cause constipation for the most part (old joke about Chinese don't really have slanted eyes).

Old 07-21-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
??? Mag citrate is the basis of bowel preps for colonscopy. MgOxide is given as supplement with KCl for those on diuretics expressly because it causes less bowel effects.

A serving of beef has about 25mg Mg, spinach 117 and romaine lettuce 0.8mg
Spinach, frozen, chopped or leaf, unprepared Nutrition Facts & Calories

Mg is mainly an intracellular ion: serum levels are on the order of 2mg%- distributed over ~5L, while intracellular levels are ~200mg% distributed over ~50L, ie- total body stores ~ 100,000mg. RDA is on the order of 300mg/d-- pretty hard to increase body stores by diet alone if you're depleted. You need pharmacological doses to do that.

BTW- carbs cause constipation for the most part (old joke about Chinese don't really have slanted eyes).
Yes, spinach is one of the foods that contains the most. Lettuce apparently not much at all.

Meat and especially cheese which make up a large part of many low carb diets also causes constipation. It's important to balance with plenty of vegetables and other sources of fiber. Carbs causing constipation? What type would that be?

Pumpkin seeds, almonds, avocado and yogurt are all in the top 10. All of which I enjoy on a regular basis. Good to know.

Top 10 Magnesium Rich Foods

Old 02-22-2018, 06:52 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Studies show that diabetics are severely deficient in magnesium, and they use more of it than non-diabetics. And since excess mg is excreted daily (like Vit C) it has to be replenished constantly. It also takes a long time for a person to build up their stores. I have been supplementing heavily for a couple years now and I think it took me a year to feel like it was near where it should be.

I use the powder form of mag citrate. I can feel it's relaxing properties instantly. I will never be without it. Great for high blood pressure.
Good to know about replenishing magnesium as I was wondering about that and that excess is excreted like Vit C. I'm finding good success for MY body with 800mg of a complex Mag that contains a portion of oxide as well. Some days take more than 800mg. But never all oxide. Normally citrate, glycinate or malate and oxide...all three.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:04 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Maybe good to bring this up as a reminder on the importance of magnesium for so much including diabetes.
I thank you for bumping this up, as I missed this thread the first time.

I will try magnesium, since I have long thought (Type I diabetic) that my cells do not process the insulin I take very well, and I take a lot of insulin, even on my low-carb diet (I have an Omnipod pump).

I do tend to eat a lot of salad with butter-crunch lettuce that I grow; while it is a source of magnesium (looking it up just now), it is still rather minimal. I will try to incorporate spinach, as well as the supplement. We shall see!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 AM

One of the foods that has the highest amount of Magnesium are Pumpkin Seeds. I love them anyway and I buy the shelled variety in bulk from Sprouts. I also take supplements. Taking Oxide at the moment. I have taken Citrate as well.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
For those with kidney disease, do your home work before taking magnesium or any supplements for that matter.

https://academic.oup.com/ckj/article...l_1/i39/449350
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes