Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 12:17 PM

13,076 posts, read 7,515,583 times

Advertisements

[you] may get gout if you eat too much protein and acidify your blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 12:58 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Well for sure you don't want to eat a bunch of sugar carbs...I think most agree with that. There are things about the Mediterranean diet, Keto, and other diets that are similar but in some cases, very divergent.

I was eating a diet before I switched to the Plant Paradox diet that my Dr. thought should result in lower A1C and cholesterol numbers but it didn't work and when I switched to the Plant Paradox diet, everything clicked for me far more than I ever anticipated....now down 40 lbs, 10 belt sizes and reversed diabetes later, I'm ecstatic.
Good for you, wonderful results!

Honestly, I don't think anyone has to pay money to pay for a book to control their diabetes, especially a book endorsed by a celebrity, as heavy marketing and paying money isn't necessary--just common sense and a glucometer can improve your diabetes. But however you arrive at good health, it's great, no argument from me.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:03 PM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
For breakfast today, I had 2 eggs, brussell sprouts, beets, onion, cheese from grass fed cow, and crab meat cooked in extra virgin olive oil.

As OG points out- that's essentially the low carb diet. Eggs, cheese & crab meat are protein & fat with no carbs. Brussel sprouts are like chewing on the leg of a chair- you can't digest the cellulose and the only nutrient it's high in is Vit K- which you don't need from your diet (our own E.coli make all we need every day for us.) A serving of beets is 8 gm CHO and a good source of folate, not much else. Onions (believe it or not) are mostly carbs-- 21 gm in a 1/2 lb serving.

Basic physiology: the real purpose of insulin is to turn carbs into fat and to prevent the burning of fat. It's secondary purpose is to minimize the burning of protein for energy (ie- it's protein sparing). A relatively minor effect of insulin is to get glucose into cells-- renal cells are the only ones absolutely obliged to make use of insulin & glucose.

BTW- save your money on the cheese. All cows are grass fed (pasture/hay). Some cattle may not be given other feed as supplements so their milk can be marketed as "grass-fed" at a higher price. (Shouldn't it be cheaper if the farmer doesn't have to pay for feed?) The lab analysis of the cheese may or may not show some very minor differences in nutrient content, but that doesn't translate into any health benefit.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:17 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
As OG points out- that's essentially the low carb diet. Eggs, cheese & crab meat are protein & fat with no carbs. Brussel sprouts are like chewing on the leg of a chair- you can't digest the cellulose and the only nutrient it's high in is Vit K- which you don't need from your diet (our own E.coli make all we need every day for us.) A serving of beets is 8 gm CHO and a good source of folate, not much else. Onions (believe it or not) are mostly carbs-- 21 gm in a 1/2 lb serving.

Basic physiology: the real purpose of insulin is to turn carbs into fat and to prevent the burning of fat. It's secondary purpose is to minimize the burning of protein for energy (ie- it's protein sparing). A relatively minor effect of insulin is to get glucose into cells-- renal cells are the only ones absolutely obliged to make use of insulin & glucose.

BTW- save your money on the cheese. All cows are grass fed (pasture/hay). Some cattle may not be given other feed as supplements so their milk can be marketed as "grass-fed" at a higher price. (Shouldn't it be cheaper if the farmer doesn't have to pay for feed?) The lab analysis of the cheese may or may not show some very minor differences in nutrient content, but that doesn't translate into any health benefit.
I ate a strictly low carb diet and didn't get near the results I got when I switched to the Plant Paradox recommended diet....it's far more complicated than you will want to understand though because you have to read the book to understand it and you won't do that.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Good for you, wonderful results!

Honestly, I don't think anyone has to pay money to pay for a book to control their diabetes, especially a book endorsed by a celebrity, as heavy marketing and paying money isn't necessary--just common sense and a glucometer can improve your diabetes. But however you arrive at good health, it's great, no argument from me.
I didn't pay money for the book, my MIL gave it to me.

For me, I tried everything my doctors, friends, acqauntences, etc. claimed would control diabetes and I just kept getting worse and worse and worse...until, I read The Plant Paradox and implemented the recommendations and then I kept getting better and better and better and now I don't need to control diabetes because I reversed it with my diet. The diet will cure most diseases.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:39 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
The diet will cure most diseases.

That sound almost as good as Honest John's Snake Oil Liniment & Bar-B-Que Sauce.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
True, that's why when I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I looked for answers and after reading the book The Plant paradox and following the guidelines in that book, I completely reversed diabetes. My Dr. was so impressed that she read the book, followed the guidelines with great results and is now recommending to all of her diabetes patients.

All of the ills of my diabetes are gone now, my cholesterol is in the good range, bp is 110/70, weight is in ideal range (lost 40 lbs of gut fat) and I look and feel remarkable.
Interesting.

I went on Amazon and ordered the "summary" that you can read in an hour or so.

I'm tired of reading books I don't believe and take up all my time, like Cleanse, but this sounds interesting and promising.

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2019, 11:49 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:

For me, I tried everything my doctors, friends, acqauntences, etc. claimed would control diabetes and I just kept getting worse and worse and worse...until, I read The Plant Paradox and implemented the recommendations and then I kept getting better and better and better and now I don't need to control diabetes because I reversed it with my diet. The diet will cure most diseases.

But happy new year to you.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:07 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:

Some people have to spend $$$ to get that wake up call. A friend deals with Type II and she finally bought this $60book and followed it and took off a lot of weight and changed her diet big time and she never was doing better than after she invested in the book. Knowing her she's probably fallen off the wagon she was on. Don't talk to her much these days. Many people are weak in commitments.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interesting.

I went on Amazon and ordered the "summary" that you can read in an hour or so.

I'm tired of reading books I don't believe and take up all my time, like Cleanse, but this sounds interesting and promising.

Thanks!
Ha, wife was ordering a couple of copies of the book on Amazon to give to family members and accidentally ordered the "summary." We haven't read the "summary" yet. My feeling personally is that I want to know the science behind what is being said in order for me to have faith in what is said. So for me, I wouldn't have followed the "summary" as there are too many controversial assertions that I would have objected to without understanding the basis for them. However, I hope this gives you some good insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes