Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 01:16 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
The old days eskimos did not eat carbo ,as there aint any!
False. The ancient Inuit didn't eat a carbohydrate free diet, they ate a diet that tended to be low in carbohydrates. They also ate a lot of fresh and raw marine mammal-based meat which tends to have higher levels of glycogen. The body can meet its carb requirement via dietary glycogen and protein metabolism.

Don't know why you keep trying to measure the ancient Inuit against modern day nutritional reality. Of the many variations on the human nutritional norm you picked what probably was the most extreme. Using extremes to make comparisons isn't often very successful, let alone meaningful. While the ancient Inuit diet may be interesting, it isn't very relevant and there are hereditary components involved that doom a direct comparison to failure.

Here are just a few of many sources of information about the ancient Inuit's nutritional life. Yes, they discuss CARBS!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_...sterners%20can.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/hea...-inuit-paradox

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-be-good-genes

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-26-2022 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 03:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
False. The ancient Inuit didn't eat a carbohydrate free diet, they ate a diet that tended to be low in carbohydrates. They also ate a lot of fresh and raw marine mammal-based meat which tends to have higher levels of glycogen. The body can meet its carb requirement via dietary glycogen and protein metabolism.

Don't know why you keep trying to measure the ancient Inuit against modern day nutritional reality. Of the many variations on the human nutritional norm you picked what probably was the most extreme. Using extremes to make comparisons isn't often very successful, let alone meaningful. While the ancient Inuit diet may be interesting, it isn't very relevant and there are hereditary components involved that doom a direct comparison to failure.

Here are just a few of many sources of information about the ancient Inuit's nutritional life. Yes, they discuss CARBS!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_...sterners%20can.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/hea...-inuit-paradox

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-be-good-genes
good to know.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:34 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I don't fall for it. If this is true, where did the fresh and marine mammals get their glycogen?? We know whales and seals eat no carbohydrates. They don't exist in the ocean that I know of.

If the meat from these animals contains glycogen, then the animals themselves made it via.... Gluconeogenesis.

This is the answer as to where to get the glycogen if you don't consume it.

The liver makes it.

Quote:
Gluconeogenesis is a process that transforms non-carbohydrate substrates (such as lactate, amino acids, and glycerol) into glucose (Figure 1). Both lactate and alanine are first converted into pyruvate, which then enters the mitochondrion and is carboxylated to oxaloacetate (OAA) by pyruvate carboxylase (PC).
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...018.00802/full

Carbohydrates are not essential in the diet. Yes, certain organs such as the brain run on glucose. Doesn't mean you have to consume carbs to get it.

As for the Inuit, when they were introduced to the Western diet is when the rates of heart disease and diabetes shot up.

https://openheart.bmj.com/content/4/2/e000673

Old 12-24-2022, 11:12 PM

178 posts, read 162,119 times
Quote:
I have been skipping rice,potato,pasta,bread,cake,I dont feel like I am missing anything,on the contrary it seems I feel better-no bloating,more alert ,more energy and mentally sharper.
But I do need sugar in the form of ICE CREAM,the brain needs sugar.
Have any of you experienced the same results?
what is that myth?we need carbo to do physically demanding work?
Chinese rickshaw drivers need to eat rice 3 times a day,they are known as BIG RICE BOWL!!!!!!!!
Yeah, Chinese eat rice. No, they are not healthier because they do. Especially if manual labor is taken out of their life.

In addition, Chinese and other Asians are more susceptible to diabetes at lower BMIs. Hence, Medicare will cover diabetes screenings for Asians at the cutoff of a BMI of 23 instead of the usual 25.

Due to inadequate sampling of the population and the usual hubris that "the facts are set", Asians unintentionally are neglected in diabetes treatment and health in general because they don't look or weigh the part compared to counterparts with European or African ancestry.

The matter of carbohydrates is in part a language and reading comprehension matter. The word carbohydrate has multiple senses, which often get blended up in conversation and participants often switch senses in conversations to "one-up" a discussion.

Sense 1 of carbohydrate is basically a matter of chemical properties. It's a carbon unit with a water unit chemically bonded together. Glucose has 6 carbons and 6 "water molecules".
Sense 2 of carbohydrate is a subset of carbohydrates that would fall under sense 1, with the subset being only digestible carbohydrates
Sense 3 of carbohydrate is foods that happen to have a very substantial amounts of digestible carbohydrates.

Fiber is technically carbohydrate in sense 1 but it has no metabolic effect because it is not digested. Thus it would not be a carbohydrate under sense two. This is a tripping point. Keto diets may mistakenly avoid high fiber foods.

A little scientific fact is already well-proven but not often disclosed in relevant publications. Insulin inhibits lipolysis, or fat metabolism in layman's terms. Thus, the glucose is must be metabolized first before the fat is even touched while insulin levels are high. Any high carbohydrate meal in the sense of Sense 2 will cause the release of insulin. So if you eat a substantial amount of Sense 2 carbs 3 times a day, that is 6 hours of no fat metabolism. If one eats a snack inbetween meals...then it can be possible to have elevated insulin for a continuous period of from breakfast to the final food consumed, and that means no fat metabolism for that period.

Old 12-25-2022, 05:35 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Since you are avoiding carbs, there are low carb ice creams. I spent a year on a low carb diet, and I felt better also. Even after I stopped, I’m left without much desire for sugar or bread.
I would rather you use sugar in moderation than a sugar substitute. I see nothing wrong with the occasional piece of cake, piece of pizza, or plate of pasta. Once a week or so will not matter. I’m not a rice fan, so I seldom eat it anyway.
I kept eating beans and root vegetables, so my diet included plenty of fiber.

Old 02-13-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
so,skipping rice,bread and pasta,what happens to our body?
Our bodies burn carbs first. Then they burn fats. If there are no carbs to burn, then fats are burned. It’s the whole basis for low carb eating.

Old 02-13-2023, 05:40 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
^^^^ Yes!!
Excess carbs are turned to fat; alcohol is metabolized instead of fat; and excess fat intake is stored as fat. Fat intake does not promote fat use as an energy source – carbs are used first, and if the carb calories eaten are sufficient, the excess fat calories in the diet go directly to fat storage.

https://drsue.ca/2015/08/burn-baby-b...bs-vs-protein/

Old 02-14-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I have been skipping rice,potato,pasta,bread,cake,I dont feel like I am missing anything,on the contrary it seems I feel better-no bloating,more alert ,more energy and mentally sharper.
But I do need sugar in the form of ICE CREAM,the brain needs sugar.
Have any of you experienced the same results?
what is that myth?we need carbo to do physically demanding work?
Chinese rickshaw drivers need to eat rice 3 times a day,they are known as BIG RICE BOWL!!!!!!!!
You can have sugar and carbs, but in moderation. Count your carbs and have the ice cream….just not every day. I continued to have beans and root vegetables. I had pizza and pasta once a week. I don’t like rice, and I’m not a huge bread or sugar fan, so I don’t find it hard to keep carbs low. If you can’t or won’t give up bread, go for high fiber whole grain bread, so at least the fiber will help offset.

Yesterday, I got scolded by my doctor about some wonky pre diabetes numbers. I’m going back on the low carb wagon today.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:59 AM

7,257 posts, read 5,131,727 times
A couple points--

The glucose, proteins, fats & choesterol floating around in our blood is not those from the food we ate. They are our own molecules generated accoding to our own genetic plan out of Acetyl units (remember Ac-CoA from hi school bio class?) derived by absorbing food, sending it directliy to the liver to be be broken down into the 2-carbon (acetyl) building blocks, then re-assembling them into the things we need like amino acids, glucose, fats, etc. ...That's how whale meat gets glycogen, for instance, and we can turn meat (protein) into glucose as needed, and vice versa.

The calories listed in the charts for each food is obtained by literally lighting a known quantity on fire and seeing how hot it makes a known quantity of water ( 1 cal raises the temp of 1cc of water by 1degC)..If you check a lump of oak wood, you'll find it has X cal in it, but if you eat a lump of oak wood, you get zero calories from it because we can't digest wood....and of the woody/starchy things we do eat, we can only digest and absorb so much of them. This is the basis for the Glycemic Index scores-- differential absorbtion & rate of absorbtion of different foods....So, 100 cal of potato will affect your BS differetnly than 100 cal of orange juice, for instance.

We don't NEED carbs in our diet, but metabolic life is a little easier with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes