Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
^^^^This is very good advice.

Yeast (or a candida overgrowth) in the digestive tract can increase sugar cravings

Candida Diet: Foods to Avoid
Candida Symptoms, How To Cure Them
Avoid the used of too much sugar it will result to candidiasis problem. Also this sugar is one of the most major Candida diet foods which you need to avoid. The Sugar because this is easily the most important of the avoidance foods to limit in your diet as it directly increases the amount of Candida in your body when it is consumed. There is no way around this one, if you choose to continue to eat sugar on a regular basis you will continue to develop Candida in your body. This includes not just the obvious forms of sugar but also white flour and breads which convert to sugar in the body. Fruits unfortunately need to be removed too, however when you are finally healed from Candida I strongly recommend you get back to eating fruits regularly again.You can find out more about the cure for candidiasis problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:19 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Bottom line is sugar is NOT ADDICTING. Its just fat people being unable to pry themselves away from the table or away from eating the bad food. Its like an escape or comfort for them to eat bad unhealthy/sugary stuff. Like reading a good book is an escape and/or comfort for those who pursue intellectual endeavors. You never hear them say "oh Im addicted to reading". Its like uh "NO, you are NOT addicted to reading, you just really like to read".

Its just an easy way out of not taking responsibility for one's health to say "Oh I am addicted to sugar".
I'm not fat thanks, but I do have a sugar addiction. It gives your body a reward just like some other substances do and it becomes a cycle of eat more, get the brain chemicals, then need more to keep the chemicals up.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:36 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I'm not fat thanks, but I do have a sugar addiction. It gives your body a reward just like some other substances do and it becomes a cycle of eat more, get the brain chemicals, then need more to keep the chemicals up.
You DO NOT HAVE A SUGAR ADDICTION!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING!! All this malarky you are saying about brain chemicals and such is just pure fiction and utter nonsense. Do a bit of actual research on this will ya? The medical community has been totally unable to prove that sugar is addicting - Research|Penn State: Is sugar addictive?

The only thing I have found in researching this that may say otherwise is a "doctor/writer" who say that it is but he wants you to buy his book on how to beat it. Pure baloney and yet another way people try to steal money out of the pockets of the obese with fictional info.

Just admit it, you are unable to control your urges for the bad/unhealthy food. Its okay.

This "reward" you feel is emotional and not some physical chemical dependence on the sugar. Basically, you just like all kids in the world, just like sweets but YOU ARE NOT ADDICTED!!!

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 11-19-2010 at 08:09 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post

Thats nice to you! you're not getting fat. For how long you been started in sugar addiction? Do you have any symptoms I mean any side effect?

Old 11-20-2010, 11:50 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,108 times
One can become psychologically DEPENDENT on sugar, but addiction is much harder. You become addicted to something when it overruns your life. I.E. trying to sell your first born for a rock of crack. You make illogical, irrational, and socially unacceptable (and, I mean this in terms of plain human decency) decisions to get your next hit. You stop paying your mortgage, stop taking care of your kids, etc. because you just need a little more to get you through the day. Most self-professed sugar addicts haven't done this. Now, they may be DEPENDENT on it (some call this functional addiction), but they aren't ADDICTED in the sense of the actual meaning. They had a hard day and now they need a donut to relieve the stress (this will trigger a dopamine release in the brain to reward them, the same thing that causes a good feeling after orgasm). Yep, dependent, but not addicted. The way to modify this is to not reward yourself with the substance giving you trouble. Find another reward even. Get a dopamine blast from somewhere else.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:59 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
You DO NOT HAVE A SUGAR ADDICTION!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING!! All this malarky you are saying about brain chemicals and such is just pure fiction and utter nonsense. Do a bit of actual research on this will ya? The medical community has been totally unable to prove that sugar is addicting
They haven't exactly been able to prove that it's not either. I'm willing to admit that it's not addicting in the same way that heroin, crack, nicotine, or meth are. All of these substances release certain brain chemicals that cause you to crave them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
One can become psychologically DEPENDENT on sugar, but addiction is much harder. You become addicted to something when it overruns your life. I.E. trying to sell your first born for a rock of crack. You make illogical, irrational, and socially unacceptable (and, I mean this in terms of plain human decency) decisions to get your next hit. You stop paying your mortgage, stop taking care of your kids, etc. because you just need a little more to get you through the day. Most self-professed sugar addicts haven't done this. Now, they may be DEPENDENT on it (some call this functional addiction), but they aren't ADDICTED in the sense of the actual meaning. They had a hard day and now they need a donut to relieve the stress (this will trigger a dopamine release in the brain to reward them, the same thing that causes a good feeling after orgasm). Yep, dependent, but not addicted. The way to modify this is to not reward yourself with the substance giving you trouble. Find another reward even. Get a dopamine blast from somewhere else.
By your definition, cigs aren't addicting either. All those smokers just have a character problem. Sure, that's it. The diff is that cigs and sweets are legal, but they can cause just as many problems, in different ways. The worst story I know of is the little handicapped girl I work with--she has severe cerebral palsy and her divorced single mother is unable to hold a job, due to her extreme needs. They have been completely dependent on dad, who just managed to have his leg removed from complications of diabetes. The girl said that her dad is a huge sweets eater and is fat, though he's only in his 40's and now they are getting ready to have their power turned off b/c he can't work either. Lovely. You have someone that helpless depending on you and you can't control your addiction. I'd be just as sad for them if it was drugs, but I'm thinking that a smoker wouldn't get himself into this much trouble--he might get lung cancer, but diabetes is a bigger problem in this country today.

Another thought--sugar is the only one of the substances that we've discussed that doesn't seem to have a moral judgment laid on it. It's the only substance that almost all church people think is acceptable--sure, some smoke, and some drink alcohol, but even they may feel that it's not totally ok. But go to any church supper and check out the dessert table.

Hey, and still off the sweets and 7 lbs lost--went to a church supper and avoided the dessert table successfully, though there was one of my favorites there.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Apparently, sugar, fat and salt do act on the brain in the same way that some addictive drugs act:

David Kessler: Fat, Salt and Sugar Alter Brain Chemistry, Make Us Eat Junk Food - washingtonpost.com

That doesn't mean you can't control it, but clearly for some people it takes much more will power than it does for others.
I hate to quote myself, , but there is some evidence that sugar and fat have some "addictive" qualities.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:20 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,400 times
Quote:
If sugar was addicting, why dont we have rehab clinics for children who eat/love sugar? That is because sugar is NOT addicting.
Sugar is an addictive substance and is recognized as such by many medical doctors. If there are no rehab clinics, it's because sugar addiction doesn't result in violent, criminal, or destructive behaviors that warrant medical/psychological attention.

You need to review the relationship between sugar intake and insulin production. There is a physiological reason why sugar consumption drives sugar cravings and how the cycle goes round and round. Many times emotional issues play into bad diet choices, but in the case of sugar, there is a clear physiological force at work.

Other than being simply misinformed, you do sound very hostile. Please settle your own personal issues before you participate in a public forum like this, where we are all trying to learn from and support each other to a healthier lifestyle.

Last edited by chattypatty; 11-26-2010 at 11:35 AM..

Old 11-26-2010, 11:32 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I've noticed this too. Three family members with diabetes have this insatiable appetite for sweet foods to the point it is almost ridiculous. I don't know what the mechanism is for this, but its strange to observe.
Do they have Type II diabetes? If so, then if they aren't controlling their sugar intake, the high blood glucose will cause more insulin production, which will lead to a rebound excessive uptake of blood glucose, which leads to feelings of weakness and jitteriness, which then drives the craving for more sugar in an attempt to find balance, and the whole cycle starts all over again. Their insulin/blood glucose is out of balance and they are probably experiencing wild swings on a continual basis.

If they have Type I diabetes where they are on insulin injections, then I would say they aren't doing a very good job of monitoring their insulin and blood glucose and probably need to work harder on that.

I am a lifelong sugar addict, currently experiencing a relapse. The best advice I ever heard, which absolutely has worked for me like a charm, is to eat a piece of protein whenever one gets a sugar craving. If necessary, tell yourself you can have that cookie, but first you have to eat the boiled egg or the cottage cheese or the lean piece of chicken. I have actually never wanted the sweet treat after I forced myself to have the protein serving first. Protein will balance your blood sugar and insulin and give you a steady feeling.

Once you get the monkey off your back, life gets so much better in every way. Less anxiety, less insomnia, less bloatedness and gas, more energy, clearer thoughts -- the list is endless. For sugar addicts, very frequently sugar ingestion causes immediate bad sensations. The only reason anyone would continue to gorge on a substance that makes them feel sick afterwards is addiction. Every single time I've gone into what I'll call "relapse," it's because I thought I could do the "moderation" thing, and that turns out to be just impossible. Like an alcoholic, I cannot have ANY sugar at all. Also, for me, going cold turkey worked much better and I didn't have any issues with that so long as my protein intake was adequate. Trying to wean off sugar, I would think, doesn't really work that well because you are still contributing to the insulin/blood glucose imbalance.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:27 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,641 times
Quote:
NO!!! There is NO such thing as sugar addiction!!! Its yet another comfortable excuse for fat people to use to blame their obesity on.
A very angry response. Be careful to keep your stress level low or you may become so stressed out you will begin to crave sugar, fat, or salty foods. This would be due to an increased amount of cortisol (stress hormone) in your body which can slow your metabolism down and cause you to get fat. Chronic stress is very harmful on the body. And many in this country are having chronic stress.

Being fat does not always mean someone is stuffing their faces with loads of food. This country is getting fatter, no doubt. The economy is in the pits and the stress levels of many people have been riding high for years. No wonder so many are gaining weight.

I think the blame needs to stop. Answers need to be found and people need help.

I think the reason Colorado is more successful in having more residents in a fit and healthy range is because the entire state actively involves themselves in making it so. It takes teamwork. It does no one any good bashing a group of people. It only makes the basher look like a bully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss