Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am trying to lose between 10 and 15 pounds. The nights are the hardest.

I love microwave popcorn....I have also heard it is bad b/c of the chemicals but I still eat it.

Right now I have a cup of tea and sugar free jello with fruit cut up and a little whipped cream. I think the tea is more filling but it also keeps me up at night...for bathroom runs

How about a bowl of cereal with fruit? I think that would be a good filling snack(dessert).
Nights are the worst, I concur! Also the last 10/15 are the hardest to lose; equate it w/waking up early on Saturdays & Sundays with no problem yet when Monday comes around, all you want to do is continue sleeping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 AM

72 posts, read 405,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Any lean protein or high fiber, low-sugar food: fish, chicken, oatmeal, plain Greek yogurt, etc.
Thanks, yes I eat a ton of chicken breast, oatmeal, lean pork, cottage cheese, and apples everyday. Greek yogurt is something I can't stand the taste of. Maybe I just tried a bad brand. I think I bought the stony fields plain flavor.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
A lot of people who like regular yogurt can't stand Greek yogurt, and vice versa. Is it the taste you don't like? Would a chopped-up apple or some fresh berries help? The reason I like it -- other than the taste -- is because it's very satisfying. Six ounces of regular yogurt will leave me hungry within an hour, where six ounces of Greek yogurt keeps me from being hungry all morning.

Fage is the tastiest brand, in my opinion, but the most expensive. I buy Chobani -- it's very good and is on sale regularly. I don't care for the Stonyfield or Yoplait brands.

But if you don't like it, you don't like it! At least you tried.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:01 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
With plain yogurt, too, many people are so used to the dessert-flavored sugary yogurts that plain, whether Greek or regular, doesn't taste good to them. Like with cutting back on salt, it may take a while to retrain your taste buds if you want to give it another shot.

A hard-boiled egg would probably be filling as well, but I don't know that you'd want to have one every day.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:14 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Anything with lots of fiber is filling and often not too high in calories - oranges, celery, carrots,
I use a microwave popper (presto) and air pop any popcorn without adding anything to it.
They are easier to find just before Christmas then disappear from the shelves until the next year.
Great suggestions!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A lot of people who like regular yogurt can't stand Greek yogurt, and vice versa. Is it the taste you don't like? Would a chopped-up apple or some fresh berries help? The reason I like it -- other than the taste -- is because it's very satisfying. Six ounces of regular yogurt will leave me hungry within an hour, where six ounces of Greek yogurt keeps me from being hungry all morning.

Fage is the tastiest brand, in my opinion, but the most expensive. I buy Chobani -- it's very good and is on sale regularly. I don't care for the Stonyfield or Yoplait brands.

But if you don't like it, you don't like it! At least you tried.
Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt is pretty tasty and a little cheaper.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
With plain yogurt, too, many people are so used to the dessert-flavored sugary yogurts that plain, whether Greek or regular, doesn't taste good to them. Like with cutting back on salt, it may take a while to retrain your taste buds if you want to give it another shot.
I think Greek yogurt is too tart so I usually put some honey in it. Sometimes I also add protein powder, to bump the protein up a bit more.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,502 times
The easiest way not to overeat at dinner, is to eat a LARGE, FILLING breakfast, and eat light the rest of the day. After a while, your body will become accustomed to this new lifestyle, and you will lose weight.

Ian

Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
A large apple always makes me pretty full for a long time.
You can always slice and steam the apple and sprinkle with a little cinnamon. I have a tupperware of those in my fridge for when I feel like something that taste like dessert.

I also like greek yogurt but I prefer Chobani with vanilla or honey ...I'm not a big fan of the plain variety. I feel like I'm eating spoonfuls of sour cream (probably because I use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream ...lol)

I like baby carrots too. I can eat a bunch of those and they will keep me satisfied for a good while.

Chickpeas are kind of fun to eat...pop one in, peel the skin off, bite it so it breaks in half...I don't know... I can't just toss it in and chew it up, anyone else like that?

I also love freeze dried fruit (not dehydrated). You can find it in Trader Joes and the organic section of the grocery store usually. LOVE mangos and strawberries like that. They could pass for candy

Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
My favorite snack is to mix half raisins (either dark or golden) with half either sunflower seeds (raw) or half pumpkin seeds (raw), both unsalted. I get the seeds at my health food store.

Because the raisins are sweet and chewy and the nuts are more crisp and take a bit of chewing, I find this snack quite satisfying. Keeps my hands and mouth busy if I eat one seed at a time. And nutrition-wise, this is a very healthy snack.

I like making every bite of my food rich in nutrients and give me a big dose of health in every bite. But it's got to taste good, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss