Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:48 PM

422 posts, read 1,362,625 times

Advertisements

I just heard about this diet this week. Was told it is cheaper to buy on drphil than other websites but couldn't find it there. It is on amazon.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this diet. What did you like/dislike.

Did you do the exercise video along with the diet? Or your own exercises??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
It's not available for sale on Dr. Phil. It's available for sale on the author's website, which has a link on the Dr. Phil site.

Basically the first few days you lose, is mostly water weight. You lose it quickly because of how the author set up this first phase of the diet. The next phase you change things over a bit, and so on and so forth, every 17 days. Supposedly, the timing prevents the dieter from getting bored or frustrated and keeps the metabolism "guessing," or something like that.

Regardless of the reasoning, the food choices looked pretty reasonable, and there really are people who've tried it and lost weight successfully with it in an equally reasonable amount of time after the initial drop.

I haven't read the book but I did see the author (I can't remember his name) on the Dr. Phil Show and they spent a segment of the show summarizing how it worked.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Total scam. Worse than anything I've ever posted on here.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Total scam. Worse than anything I've ever posted on here.
Doubtful. If this was the "Promote a Scam (Special) Olympics", you'd be competing for the gold.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Have you actually done this diet Anon Chick? I thought you were all about "normal" eating, no gimmicks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's not available for sale on Dr. Phil. It's available for sale oHn the author's website, which has a link on the Dr. Phil site.

Basically the first few days you lose, is mostly water weight. You lose it quickly because of how the author set up this first phase of the diet. The next phase you change things over a bit, and so on and so forth, every 17 days. Supposedly, the timing prevents the dieter from getting bored or frustrated and keeps the metabolism "guessing," or something like that.

Regardless of the reasoning, the food choices looked pretty reasonable, and there really are people who've tried it and lost weight successfully with it in an equally reasonable amount of time after the initial drop.

I haven't read the book but I did see the author (I can't remember his name) on the Dr. Phil Show and they spent a segment of the show summarizing how it worked.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times
wondering if anyone has done the diet and how it worked. I'm on day 2 it's no different from South Beach, mainly low carb with a couple different things added (hot water with lemon in morning, etc.)

Old 06-18-2013, 12:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Looking to see any updates from folks who have been on this diet (17 Day Diet). One of my dear friends and I weight almost exactly the same and we bought the book at the same time . . . but I haven't dedicated myself to the program. She has. In about 6 weeks time she has dropped 2 dress sizes. Her face is thinner, too . . . she also is having less problems w/ an old knee injury - not as much pain (wh/ we expected - just thrilled to see it happen this quickly).

I am going to re-read the book tonight and make out my grocery list. The thing that hit me about this diet is - nothing radical in it. More or less just cutting back on carbs -- and carbs (bread, pastries) are my downfall.

Anyway - just wondering if others had tried this diet in the past and what success they have had with it. To me, it is just sensible eating but w/ guidelines to help with combinations of food and portions.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Diets fails, lifestyles do not. You don't need a book to make lifestyle changes...

Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Diets fails, lifestyles do not. You don't need a book to make lifestyle changes...
Okay.

So I guess that means you haven't had experience with this diet?

I really am not interested in hearing platitudes about your philosophy on weight loss and maintenance.

But thanks anyway.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You're welcome, but you're going to hear it anyway.

I thought I made myself perfectly clear, I don't diet. Diets fail. Every diet you've been on has failed or you wouldn't be here looking for a miracle in a book.
Kim is right here. I have been on many diets - lost weight over and over and regained on WeightWatchers....but it wasn't until I changed my lifestyle (whole organic foods, no sugar, etc.) and began to regularly exercise, clear my house completely of the unhealthy foods that I was drawn to, and make an effort to keep moving throughout the day that I finally lost all the weight - so much more than I ever dreamed - and have kept it off with little effort (because I changed the way I live, eat and exercise - even the way I think about food).....no platitudes here - this is life experience.

Diets do not work long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss