Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 04:45 PM

600 posts, read 2,091,514 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I did the Dukan Diet for 25 days in May and lost 15 lbs! I followed all of the diet's rules. It's a great diet. Well, sorta

Then, all of the sudden I got a terrible depression, sense of hopelessness, wanted to sleep all the time, etc I did some research online, and it seemed the diet interfered with my serotonin levels.

I've maintained my weight loss and I haven't gone back on Dukan, but I want to. I do not want to go on antidepressents, but I want very much to go back on the diet. I've been taking St. John's Wort, and a multi-vitamin every day.

Does anyone else have any personal advice you can give me? (Not your own google research please: thanks anyway but I've done that). I want to go back on Dukan again, and take St. John's Wort, Tryptophan, and a multi vitamin every day.

Anyone else get depressed while dieting? Any other helpful advice?

Thanks SO much in advance

Wes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 05:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Why would you want to go on a diet that interferes with your state of mind? Whether it's Dukan, or Weight Watchers, or any other diet at all, if it's causing you to be depressed, then you need to try something else. I suggest a visit to your physician, with a possible referral to a nutritionist if he agrees you need to lose weight.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I went on a diet last year, and was doing great. Then, I too got depressed, and gained 50 pounds back, plus another 20 pounds. Now, I feel just exhausted all the time. I am too tired to do anything but go to work, come home, drop dead.

But I am beginning to realize that I need to get back on track.my health is at risk now, that is a huge problem for me.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Why would you want to go on a diet that interferes with your state of mind? Whether it's Dukan, or Weight Watchers, or any other diet at all, if it's causing you to be depressed, then you need to try something else. I suggest a visit to your physician, with a possible referral to a nutritionist if he agrees you need to lose weight.
This. ^^^

And why on earth would you even consider going on a medication if it's your DIET that is making you depressed? That makes no sense at all. Talk to your doctor.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:14 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
I did Dukan for a while to justify my wheat habit, went back.to eating correctly for my blood type and feel a million times better. Figure out what foods to emphasize and you'll be on the right track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss