Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 05:31 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
OTOH Bill Clinton wasn't exactly svelte when he got elected and reelected.
Doesn't look that heavy to me.

‪Watch President Clinton Accept the Democratic Nomination (Full Speech)‬‏ - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 05:36 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Hey, I don't begrudge the guy at all. I just think he knows that this country is not ready to look beyond its shallowness and elect an overweight guy or woman to be president.

I just think it's sad that people would poke fun at him (well, actually worse) and they are supposedly on my team and I didn't even realize he was a republican until after the fact. It doesn't matter. I would not expect any human being to be criticized for their weight (I just happen to be very political) and had to call my girl Stepanie Miller on her crap.
Weight can be a sign of impulse control issues. And he (bill) was in trouble for exercising some impulses.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:40 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
It is not nuts. It is a fact of science, and it is the very reason every single doctor on the planet will tell you NOT to use extreme diets to try to lose weight. Famine slows your metabolism. Then, when you eat normally, you gain weight that much easier, but your metabolism does not rebound without a tremendous amount of work.

Nothing is wrong with that at all. Like I said, different people lose weight at different rates.

Sorry, but this has got to be the weakest rebuttal I have seen yet.

First, your points are completely irrelevant, as is your silly notion that someone who is overweight is starving someone in Africa. You need to do some serious, serious research about world politics and events to learn why people starve in Third World countries.

Second, even if your argument was something other than la-la-land theoretical extrapolation--which it isn't--you don't know me from Eve. You don't know what causes I contribute to, how minimally I live my life, and what my values are. I, on the other hand, can tell where your values are: You said it yourself that overweight people "need to be told" they are overweight.

Third, as you are the one vomiting up tripe about how overweight people "need to be told" they are overweight, then you best be getting down to a restaurant right now so you can put your money where your yap is. If you cannot do that, if you cannot tell an overweight woman whom you don't know, to her face, that she is overweight, then you have absolutely no talking room to be spouting about how necessary it is that the overweight "be told" a dang thing.
No, your initial comment was silly. Fat acceptance or go yell at people for being fat? Middle ground?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:51 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
"Fat acceptance" is what motivated me to try to lose weight. A couple of surgeries, big surgeries, were followed by periods of inactivity while recuperating. Both surgeries were in the winter and sitting indoors for upwards of six weeks at a time leads to eating out of boredom. Additionally, I had quit smoking prior to the first surgery. Now there's a recipe for weight gain if ever I saw it.

Woke up one day and realized that I was heavier than I had ever been in my life - and that includes five pregnancies. The only clothes that fit were old stretch sweatpants and they were fast-approaching capacity. I knew if I ever planned to go out of the house again, I would need new clothes.

I also knew that buying clothes to fit the Big Me meant I accepted that I was no longer trim and fit. I skipped the clothes shopping and started dieting, eventually started exercising and now have lost 14 pounds and walk a mile every day.

I don't care what others do with their bodies. But I do reserve the right to feel smug about what I have accomplished in two months.

BTW: I have bought new clothes. Smaller size.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:46 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
My wife, brother, and I were just talking about this yesterday. I think it's impossible to be overweight (more than just a little) and be happy, but she thinks you can. My perspective was I was never happy overweight and I feel SO much better about everything now that I'm at an ideal weight for my height. No more sweating like a pig, heavy breathing, I can stretch and bend over to tie my shoes without an issue, and my body doesn't hurt like it used to. People look at you and treat you different too.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
No more sweating like a pig,
I haven't noticed much reduction in sweat production at a lower weight, especially this time of year.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't care what others do with their bodies. But I do reserve the right to feel smug about what I have accomplished in two months.
[URL="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/smug"]Smug[/URL]?

[youtube]G2y8Sx4B2Sk[/youtube]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk"]You keep using that word.[/URL]

Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
In his mind it is, and I think he is dead on. .
without taking this off topic, its POSSIBLE there are other reasons Gov Christie couldnt get elected prez, and he is using that as an excuse. We dont really know whats in his mind - he IS a politician, after all.

Quote:
It goes beyond that - to inferences of laziness..
I dont know. Ive seen lots of overweight people hired in many fields. I can't think of any overweight investment bankers, but thats a field where I suspect appearance overall takes a large role.

Quote:
Tell it to Jodi Epstein who used to rub my face in the snow. I am not sure how you could have fixed that..
I was relentlessly bullied in Junior High cause I answered too many questions. My DD was teased and shunned in grade school cause she was shy and socially awkward. Bullies will ALWAYS find someone to bully, for SOME reason. The way to address is that is to address bullying. Period.

Quote:
Sure, there have been things leading up to my weight gain that are valid, like an out of control depression that never seems to get under control, yet I know I could do more. The problem is when one is so depressed it's hard to do more..
The interaction of weight and depression is complex. Depression can cause weight gain - it can cause weight loss. Many anti-depressants cause weight gain. Dealing with ones weight can lead to improved feelings of control, and help one begin to address depression. I am not sure that a broad fat acceptance movement will help - though it might.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:23 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Interesting thread. I'm fat myself,and personally I don't give a damn what the next person thinks,I like me. I'm 190 and am losing slowly,but people still treat me differently. How do people know if an obese person isn't trying to lose weight just by looking at them? That 300 lb person may have been 400 lb three months ago. I go to the gym and you should see the way the front desk woman talks about the obese. Why would any obese person who is trying to lose weight put up with that mess? That's what I think the fat acceptance movement is all about,the right to be treated equally.

Another thing,who says that someone can't actually be happer being heavier? I know plenty of overweight people who aren't dieting and are the happiest people ever. They all say they look better being overweight. Think about it. Some people DO look better overweight. Think Jennifer Hudson.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Another thing,how in the heck is the average american going to eat right when medical experts can't even agree on what is "eating right"?
Post that question on the diet and exercise forum,and you would get a million different answers,all conflicting with one another. How many different diets do you see? Low carb or low fat? High protein,no grains? Fruits are good, or are fruits bad? How many times has the food pyramid been revised? Well,which one is it? So in essence,there is no such thing as eating right.

Even exercise is now being revised. I'm now told walking doesn't help with weight loss,I have to lift weights. What?
I'm also told my cardio isn't enough,I have to do hiit,or else will lose muscle mass,and then with
Little muscle mass,gain all the weight back.
But wait,it gets even more confusing. Some experts say don't exercise,or you would get hungrier and overeat,canceling out the calories you just burned.

So if I,as a nurse,get confused,what about the average person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss