Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:39 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I have lost weight on it before, and now I think I'll have another crack at it.
What are some of your favorite "permitted" foods on Adkins, and what were some of your pitfalls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,379 times
I lost about 20 lbs on Atkins about 10 years ago. It was too hard to stay on it since I love fresh fruit and veggies. I remember eating a lot of sugar free jello and pork skins (which I don't really like)

Old 09-25-2011, 07:43 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Had a few coworkers who did it (back when really popular I think 2005ish) and every single one had exact same pattern: they lost a lot of weight quickly, then piled it right back on just as fast when they couldn't stick with it.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:52 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
I do just fine on a variation of it. Since I have some mobility and metabolic problems, I don't lose as fast as you'd ordinarily expect, unfortunately.

Once you get past the two week induction, do follow the rules and add in carbs as they recommend. People fail on low-carb because they think the whole diet is eating lots of meat and fat and nothing else for the rest of their lives. That is just not true. Basically, what you do is start out with very very low carb amounts, and increase it gradually until you find out where you stop losing. Then you know what level to stay below until you've lost your weight.

When you're done losing, you find the highest level of carb that you can eat without gaining. That varies by individual.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Had a few coworkers who did it (back when really popular I think 2005ish) and every single one had exact same pattern: they lost a lot of weight quickly, then piled it right back on just as fast when they couldn't stick with it.
That's actually not exclusive to Atkins. With greater than 95% of weight loss regained eventually, and obviously not everyone on Atkins, that's more a sign of not being able to stick with one eating plan -- no matter what that eating plan is -- than a tick against Atkins, IMO.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
I lost about 20 lbs on Atkins about 10 years ago. It was too hard to stay on it since I love fresh fruit and veggies. I remember eating a lot of sugar free jello and pork skins (which I don't really like)
Huh? You can eat fresh fruit (after Induction, low glycemic fruits) and most veggies on Atkins.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have lost weight on it before, and now I think I'll have another crack at it.
What are some of your favorite "permitted" foods on Adkins, and what were some of your pitfalls?

Why don't you try eating less and moving more, instead of a fad diet that didn't work for you in the past?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:00 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Agree on the moving more but what's great about Atkins is you don't really feel like you're eating less. Atkins meals tend to stick with you longer so you're not really hungry at non-meal times. I lost 53 pounds over the past 6 months on it and don't find particularly difficult to maintain. You're basically just changing the mix of foods you eat and dumping a few bad habits (like sugared drinks). It does help if you're a pretty good cook and have access to high quality foods.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Why don't you try eating less and moving more, instead of a fad diet that didn't work for you in the past?
That isn't what the OP asked, she/he wanted to know about the Atkins diet.

OP: rather than the exact diet I have found following it pretty much, but more, just cutting the carbs down to a min. It is fine for me, I happen to love meat, cheese, and veggies, which are the main staples for a low carb diet (depending on the veggies of course) I also love eggs. I also think the secret is: after you have reached your goal or close to it, then the time to switch to portion control is the best way to keep it off.

Nita

Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
I have had good success with the Atkins diet, not only with weight loss, but also with controlling blood sugar and blood pressure. It's for life though. Get off track and all the bad stuff comes back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss