Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:05 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,317 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was just wondering if any of you have tried the Grapefruit Diet?
It actually doesn't sound bad and it sounds pretty filling- since you aren't just eating grapefruit and you are eating 3 meals a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 04:13 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Wow, I wonder if this is the same one going around in the 60's. If so, it must not work or everyone would do it by now!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:20 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
I think it's the same one from the 60's.

Be careful with grapefruit it has enzyme that has a tendency to react with certain medications like birth control pills and cholesterol medication.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Here's the one I had found- The Grapefruit Diet Plan Review - WebMD

Old 11-02-2011, 04:31 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
That's the same one. Even your link says it's not for long term weight loss, and people will likely gain the weight back when they go back to their normal lifestyle. If you like grapefruit that's great have some, but it's not a miracle weight loss fruit.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,664,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Here's the one I had found- The Grapefruit Diet Plan Review - WebMD
That is more like a low carb diet.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
It is also highly acidic, and it's not really a great idea to eat it without any starch. That was one thing I do remember, when the commercial book-version of the diet was popular in the 70's (it has spikes of popularity, the 70's had at least one of those spikes). They said the reason it wasn't a good diet was because grapefruit is known to aggravate ulcers and in order to neutralize the nature of grapefruit's acidity, you'd need to eat bread or cereal immediately before eating or drinking grapefruit/juice.

Also, 8 ounces of juice is not equivalent to half a grapefruit. It takes 1.5 average sized grapefruits to produce 8 ounces of juice, using a manual juicer. Using an electric juice, you might be able to get 8 ounces from just one full grapefruit. But not from a half.

As fruits go, it's delicious, and my second favorite (with blood orange being my first). It's filling, because it's loaded with fiber. It's nutritious, it's not as calorific as many other citrus fruits, which makes it a good choice if you really want citrus but are trying to keep things low-calorie. If you have maybe half a bowl of old fashioned oatmeal (not instant) with a little honey, almond slivers, and a couple tablespoons of raisins in the bowl, and rinse it down with 4 ounces of grapefruit juice (freshly squeezed) you probably will find it a far more satisfying breakfast than just the oatmeal, or a full bowl of other cereal, or even eggs.

So yes, grapefruit can be of use in an attempt to lose weight, but there's nothing special about the grapefruit, other than it has a refreshing taste, enough fiber to fill you up, and can satisfy a sweet tooth without rotting your teeth.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
A group of us did that diet at work. Most people ended up with nasty heartburn. I was fine but I didnt feel like I had enough food. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time. It was years ago.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
That's the same one. Even your link says it's not for long term weight loss, and people will likely gain the weight back when they go back to their normal lifestyle. If you like grapefruit that's great have some, but it's not a miracle weight loss fruit.
Couldn't it possibly work though if you went from doing that right to counting WW Points? Meaning then not gain that weight back.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:33 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
some years ago I made up my own "grapefruit diet" - I could eat whatever I wanted, as long as I ate a whole grapefruit - it actually worked for a while, probably cause it meant i was getting more low calorie filling food and more fiber, but I plateued fairly quickly. Also I love grapefruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss