Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:05 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Yes, I did a search, and there are a few threads about scales, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm getting ready to toss my digitial scale in the Dumpster. This morning I weighed myself, and the number seemed unrealistically low, so I got off, waited a minute, got back on, and amazingly gained eight pounds in that minute. I moved the scale to a different spot and got a different weight. I then changed the batteries, just in case, and I got yet another number and a few minutes later another number.

It is a digital scale that is supposed to be able to store up to four different people's weights, but that feature hasn't worked for a long time.

I was talking to the coworker with whom I walk at lunchtime, and she remarked that she found that a regular analog scale is just more accurate. I suppose that would also depend upon the quality of the scale, but I was wondering what others here use and what they prefer. I am going to buy a new scale, obviously, but I am thinking maybe I should just get an old-fashioned analog scale and call it a day. I don't need all the fancy features. I just want accuracy in my weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 AM

197 posts, read 279,255 times
That happens with my scale, too. I've seen a 2-3 pound difference just standing on slightly different spots on the scale.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post
That happens with my scale, too. I've seen a 2-3 pound difference just standing on slightly different spots on the scale.
Yep, pretty common occurrence. Best to use the same spot so as to take as many variables out of the equation as possible.

I can't imagine a quality analog scale being any more accurate than a quality digital scale. The only difference is the digital scale will have a different method of output.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Yep, pretty common occurrence. Best to use the same spot so as to take as many variables out of the equation as possible.

I can't imagine a quality analog scale being any more accurate than a quality digital scale. The only difference is the digital scale will have a different method of output.
Probably not. Was just wondering if others had a preference. It's annoying not being able to track weight properly.

I'm also wondering if the floor has anything to do with it. My kitchen and bathroom have stone-type tiles that have a rough-ish surface. The rest of the condo is carpeted except the entryway, which has a different stone tile, so I don't actually have any floor in my home that is smooth and totally flat. I thought about weighing myself outside on the concrete patio but I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning naked, and I don't want to scare any neighbors who might be looking out their windows at 5:15 a.m.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:13 PM

605 posts, read 704,606 times
HA I was wondering the same thing about my analog scale as well. And I was thinking the opposite; "Should I get a digital scale?". I've even questioned the scale at my doctor's office, but the nurse assured me that they get regular "calibrations" completed by a third-party company ::shrug::

Old 06-24-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
HA I was wondering the same thing about my analog scale as well. And I was thinking the opposite; "Should I get a digital scale?". I've even questioned the scale at my doctor's office, but the nurse assured me that they get regular "calibrations" completed by a third-party company ::shrug::
Yeah, where's that magic scale that makes the numbers go down every day?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:32 PM

676 posts, read 725,439 times
in my experiance it comes down to how you stand. when I do it I try to stand as straight as possible and looking forward untill the digital scale locks the number. I think on any scale if your putting more pressure in one spot it will make the numbers change.

I think the most accurate scale would be one that you hang from like they have for the cranes at my work to weigh jobs. Even then, you would have to stay completly still for it to be accurate. if nothing else, just go with the lowest number you get lol

Old 06-24-2015, 02:35 PM

605 posts, read 704,606 times
I agree, try to stand on the same spot (or as close as you can feasibly possible) each reading, and perhaps take multiple readings, and see which you can consistently get. I think there are some scales, depending on type and manufacturer, that can be calibrated as well.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:56 PM

380 posts, read 652,561 times
This scale has been great for me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

It's incredibly accurate. I weigh myself every morning.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
I agree, try to stand on the same spot (or as close as you can feasibly possible) each reading, and perhaps take multiple readings, and see which you can consistently get. I think there are some scales, depending on type and manufacturer, that can be calibrated as well.
Well, I DO strive to stand in the same spot, but EIGHT POUNDS? That's just stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss