Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:17 PM

251 posts, read 572,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
That's a sad thing.
Buying processed and packaged food is unhealthy for the human species and it's unhealthy for the planet.
I only eat organic fruits and vegetables. (yes, it's more expensive but there are so many, many unnecessary products that people could easily do without and so be able to afford better produce and better food in general)
We humans need to make some major / radical changes for the sake of ourselves, future generations and the planet.
i agree 100%. in the past couple of years we've been trying to phase out as much processed pre-packaged food as possible. we buy organic when possible and stick to "whole", "clean" foods.

i hope that our family can one day phase it out altogether. it's just such a novelty in this post-industrial revolution day and age to find someone who HASN'T eaten processed/manufactured food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 04:20 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So you think increased shelf life necessarily means bad eating habits and poor health?
Yes.
Just look at the number of overweight children (i mean, diabetes in pubescent kids?! c'mon) for a good indication of what this American diet of fast food / junk food / processed food is doing to the health of the population.
Eating processed food that is laden with preservatives is not good for the human body.
It's just common sense ... something that's been lost due to the degree to which the American population has been duped and brainwashed by the consumer driven / media driven dominant culture.
Eating junk once in awhile is one thing.
Subsisting on it is quite another and i think it's atrocious.
It's particularly upsetting to me regarding children.
They have no voice and no say and i see them as victims of a culture that is off it's rocker.
There is absolutely no good and sane reason for people to be eating processed and preserved food.
Very few of us are unable to do weekly (at least) shopping.
For those who cannot easily access good food, there needs to be community effort to help them do so.

Last edited by jaijai; 11-19-2011 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
i agree 100%. in the past couple of years we've been trying to phase out as much processed pre-packaged food as possible. we buy organic when possible and stick to "whole", "clean" foods.

i hope that our family can one day phase it out altogether. it's just such a novelty in this post-industrial revolution day and age to find someone who HASN'T eaten processed/manufactured food.
Well, i'm one of those west coast radicals.
And i've eaten junk food.
I can still remember how that lunch box Twinkie tasted all those years ago. (i should try to eat one just for the fun of it)
I'm not dogmatic about my diet and i'm also not a poster girl for great health but i just happen to prefer whole foods and i don't like the taste of processed and preserved food and i like my food to be as fresh and live as possible.
I think that's a point that people often miss ... it's not just about eating food that isn't laden with chemicals and additives ... it's about eating food that is as fresh and full of vitality as possible.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:54 PM

251 posts, read 572,194 times
What gets me is how food marketers spend millions of $$ to convince people that processed food is actually good for you.
Like that kid's cereal with 15 g of sugar per serving, BUT it has vitamin D and calcium, so it's "good" for you.

Or labels of packaged food that says it's ENRICHED with vitamins, fiber, and minerals.
Well, how enriched would you feel if someone took $100 out of your wallet and in remorse replaced $70?
That's what happens in processing of foods. During the processing, minerals, nutrients,fiber, & vitamins are stripped, degraded, and lost. But, they add *some* of those things back in during the processing, and then dare to call it *ENRICHED* when only a fraction of those nutrients end up being replaced.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
What gets me is how food marketers spend millions of $$ to convince people that processed food is actually good for you.
Like that kid's cereal with 15 g of sugar per serving, BUT it has vitamin D and calcium, so it's "good" for you.

Or labels of packaged food that says it's ENRICHED with vitamins, fiber, and minerals.
Well, how enriched would you feel if someone took $100 out of your wallet and in remorse replaced $70?
That's what happens in processing of foods. During the processing, minerals, nutrients,fiber, & vitamins are stripped, degraded, and lost. But, they add *some* of those things back in during the processing, and then dare to call it *ENRICHED* when only a fraction of those nutrients end up being replaced.
Absolutely.
And it's dead food.
It's not good for the body and it's not good for the soul and, again, it's not good for the planet.
All of the folks are out demonstrating about corporate greed, etc..
But the people who have the real power are the billions of American consumers who can change this entire paradigm by choosing a different way of eating and a different way of life.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:16 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Well, i'm one of those west coast radicals.
And i've eaten junk food.
I can still remember how that lunch box Twinkie tasted all those years ago. (i should try to eat one just for the fun of it)
I'm not dogmatic about my diet and i'm also not a poster girl for great health but i just happen to prefer whole foods and i don't like the taste of processed and preserved food and i like my food to be as fresh and live as possible.
I think that's a point that people often miss ... it's not just about eating food that isn't laden with chemicals and additives ... it's about eating food that is as fresh and full of vitality as possible.
It is possible to eat healthy and have preservatives and chemicals in the food.
Eating fresh food everyday isn't necessary to eat healthfully.
For some, the minimal reduction in food quality is worth the huge convenience of added food life.
Its a huge challenge to buy fresh food frequently enough that doesn't spoil and in variety and quantity enough not to eat repetitive meals.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It is possible to eat healthy and have preservatives and chemicals in the food.
Eating fresh food everyday isn't necessary to eat healthfully.
For some, the minimal reduction in food quality is worth the huge convenience of added food life.
Its a huge challenge to buy fresh food frequently enough that doesn't spoil and in variety and quantity enough not to eat repetitive meals.
If you want to eat junk, eat junk.
But it's not good for the body.
Again, look at the number of overweight children who are having serious health issues at a very young age.
Their health issues have to do with (more than any other factor) the atrocious diets that they're being fed by their parents and by the school system.
It's a shame and it's not fair to them.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I think it's silly to consider either extreme as the only two possible choices.
Eating ONLY fresh, organic foods, is not possible in some areas of the country, and not practical in other areas of the country. It is also prohibitibly expensive to eat -exclusively- fresh, organic foods in certain urban areas, which means poor people, once again, would have to lose out IF their only options were exclusvely crap, or exclusively fresh organic.

Eating ONLY crappy processed junk food is not practical at all, to anyone, though it is affordable to most. A taco bell taco is still less than $1.00 and 2 of them can fill up the average person's stomach for lunch. That doesn't make it any good, or healthy. But at the very least, it's affordable to most. A can of corn and a can of bean with bacon soup can feed a poor family of four, for less than $2.00 total. Again - not healthy, but affordable.

However..
serving miminally processed foods, along with raw vegetables and fruits, keeping salt to a minimum, keeping preservatives to a minimum, keeping artificial colorings and flavor enhancers to a minimum...keeping portions reasonable...

should be enough of a "rule of thumb" that almost anyone can afford to eat healthy.

If you say "ONLY eat this" or "NEVER eat any of that" or "ONLY include this limited list of stuff" then you are elimnating the majority of the demographic you are trying to attract.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:52 PM

741 posts, read 1,679,498 times
Quote:
That's a sad thing.
Buying processed and packaged food is unhealthy for the human species and it's unhealthy for the planet.
I only eat organic fruits and vegetables. (yes, it's more expensive but there are so many, many unnecessary products that people could easily do without and so be able to afford better produce and better food in general)
We humans need to make some major / radical changes for the sake of ourselves, future generations and the planet.
Thank you!! This was what I was TRYING to say in my thread but some people misunderstood lol
As for the salad person..you misunderstood completely!! A salad with 500 natural and organic ingredients would be fine!! Just don't add chemically processed "bacon" bits or some bottled dressing with 10 things in it that you can't even pronounce..
I thought this was a forum not a debate site!!

Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think it's silly to consider either extreme as the only two possible choices.
Eating ONLY fresh, organic foods, is not possible in some areas of the country, and not practical in other areas of the country. It is also prohibitibly expensive to eat -exclusively- fresh, organic foods in certain urban areas, which means poor people, once again, would have to lose out IF their only options were exclusvely crap, or exclusively fresh organic.

Eating ONLY crappy processed junk food is not practical at all, to anyone, though it is affordable to most. A taco bell taco is still less than $1.00 and 2 of them can fill up the average person's stomach for lunch. That doesn't make it any good, or healthy. But at the very least, it's affordable to most. A can of corn and a can of bean with bacon soup can feed a poor family of four, for less than $2.00 total. Again - not healthy, but affordable.

However..
serving miminally processed foods, along with raw vegetables and fruits, keeping salt to a minimum, keeping preservatives to a minimum, keeping artificial colorings and flavor enhancers to a minimum...keeping portions reasonable...

should be enough of a "rule of thumb" that almost anyone can afford to eat healthy.

If you say "ONLY eat this" or "NEVER eat any of that" or "ONLY include this limited list of stuff" then you are elimnating the majority of the demographic you are trying to attract.
Eating simply and living simply is the best way that we can save ourselves and save the planet.
It's interesting that eating whole and organic foods is considered "extreme".
I consider it natural and balanced.
If people would stop wasting their money on unnecessary stuff then they would be able to afford organic produce and high quality foods.
And if there's a demand for organic produce, it will be there in the markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss