Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:04 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Nah, there's nothing wrong with cheese, particularly soft ones which have no lactose (brie, chevre, or triple creme). Agree on reducing the flour and rice, and increasing fruits and vegetables. Go heavier on the vegetables than the fruit until you get to your goal weight. Nuts are an excellent snack, particularly almonds. I eat a couple handfuls of almonds every day. Recent research shows that increases heart health similar to red wine.

Forget about the juicing. Drink only water, unsweetened tea, or black coffee. Don't use artificial sweeteners. If you drink slcohol, don't use sweetened mixers.
I can't really argue with that if you're doing Atkins, but if you are calorie counting, cheese will sabotage your calorie count really fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 12:05 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can't really argue with that if you're doing Atkins, but if you are calorie counting, cheese will sabotage your calorie count really fast.

You can buy 50 calorie and 70 calorie cheese sticks...hardly sabotage material.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:50 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You only need to eat a little bit and it will satisfy a person for a lot longer. A small hunk of cheese is a great snack, perfect to give you fuel to get to the next meal.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You only need to eat a little bit and it will satisfy a person for a lot longer. A small hunk of cheese is a great snack, perfect to give you fuel to get to the next meal.

I will eat a cheese stick ( colby/jack) with apples slices...great snack and it carries me until lunch.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I will eat a cheese stick ( colby/jack) with apples slices...great snack and it carries me until lunch.
Works for me. I love apple and cheese as a snack. I'm particularly fond of Trader Joes goat's milk gouda.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Works for me. I love apple and cheese as a snack. I'm particularly fond of Trader Joes goat's milk gouda.

oohhhh..that does sound good! The Lauging Cow has some really good cheese wedges..low in calories, but FULL of wonderful flavor. No TJ's around here..yet..but there is one coming!!!

Ppl at work say they can tell the time by what I'm eating..lol..at 1000 everyday I have my apple and cheese.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Laughing Cow is - not really cheese. If you read the description it's called a processed cheese product, or something of that ilk. It has some of the ingredients that cheese has - all processed up with artificial this that and the other thing in such a way that it isn't legally allowed to be called cheese anymore.

That said, it's addictive and I love the original, which unfortunately isn't "light." So I rarely have Laughing Cow, because it's just way too easy for me to eat three of those wedges in a single sitting.

I eat too much cheese as it is, heh. I'm allergic to an enzyme or one of the proteins or some kind of nonsense like that. Makes me thoroughly addicted, and makes my stomach go insane and even affects my mood if I eat too much. Beloved spouse knows to stay out of my way for the night when I announce that I'm going to get a bacon pizza for myself for supper. Once every 5 or 6 months...it's not pretty

Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Coconut oil is yummy. I can't eat dairy so it's my butter replacement. I like the nutiva brand the best.

That's great that your dd likes green juice. My dd looks at me in horror when I offer her some of my green smoothie. "Spinach? in a smoothie?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Coconut oil? You must love highly saturated fats. Eight government organizations recommend against the use of any significant amounts of it.

(Palm oil, Palm kernel oil and coconut oil are the big three in terms of highly saturated vegetable fats).

Check your cholesterol levels often.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Coconut oil? You must love highly saturated fats. Eight government organizations recommend against the use of any significant amounts of it.

(Palm oil, Palm kernel oil and coconut oil are the big three in terms of highly saturated vegetable fats).

Check your cholesterol levels often.
I love saturated fats. Yeah, check your cholesterol levels, or better yet your heart health, and I'll bet you see little difference either way. The government is under tremendous pressure by the ag lobby to promote oils made from things like corn, rapeseed and soy. The saturated fats boogeyman is one more way they do that.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Sounds good, except the government and other nutritionists are recommending more monounsaturated oils, not the ones that are more polyunsaturated like corn oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss