Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:22 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
My husband is one of them. He takes Lipitor. He is also active, goes to the gym, is a good weight and eats really healthy foods. Its just one of those things for him.
It really seems to have more to do with genetics and liver function than anythng else. I just don't understand doctors who think they'll get postive results just by getting their patients to make a few minor tweaks to their diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 05:49 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It really seems to have more to do with genetics and liver function than anythng else. I just don't understand doctors who think they'll get postive results just by getting their patients to make a few minor tweaks to their diet.
You might want to read this:

Diet alone helps lower bad cholesterol: study | Reuters

Quote:
Diet alone helps lower bad cholesterol: study
(Reuters Health) - A diet based around plants, nuts and high-fiber grains lowered "bad" cholesterol more than a low-saturated-fat diet that was also vegetarian, researchers reported on Tuesday.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:17 PM

198 posts, read 483,438 times
Quote:
So how is that working out? Are you seeing your number dropping?

I feel like I'd be pretty safe if I offered $1 million to anyone who could demonstrate they actually reduced their cholestrol by merely reducing fat consumption but not losing weight or increasing physical fitness.
I've seen a substantial cholesterol drop ever since I cut way back on red meat a couple of years ago. Can I prove that's what caused it? No, but I've been exercising regularly and have had the same waist size for 20 years while still consuming plenty of sugar, so it sure seems like a smoking gun. I have no doubt your diet methods are working for you, but maybe everyone is different?

Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
That's more than just a few tweaks. They practically turned those folks into vegans. I do wonder if they played around a bit with the mix of foods if they'd have achieved the same results even without eliminating the fat. Maybe I missed it but it didn't discuss sugar consumption.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:00 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
My husbands levels are lower than they were before he embraced a steady exercise routine. But we eat very well so its really not diet. The guy just has a cholesterol problem that diet and exercise alone will not solve.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
My husbands levels are lower than they were before he embraced a steady exercise routine. But we eat very well so its really not diet. The guy just has a cholesterol problem that diet and exercise alone will not solve.
And then there's the question of whether that's much of a big deal if he's a non-smoker with no other risk factors for heart disease.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:24 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
That's more than just a few tweaks. They practically turned those folks into vegans. I do wonder if they played around a bit with the mix of foods if they'd have achieved the same results even without eliminating the fat. Maybe I missed it but it didn't discuss sugar consumption.
The point of the study is that certain foods help lower bad cholesterol.

They mentioned that all diets were vegetarian.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77M7PM20110823

Quote:
They randomly split 351 Canadians with high cholesterol into three groups. One group got nutrition counseling promoting a low-saturated-fat diet for six months.
In the other two groups, dietitians helped participants fit more cholesterol-lowering foods, including soy milk, tofu, nuts, oats, peas and beans, into a healthy diet -- meeting with some of them twice during the study, and with others seven times. All the diets were vegetarian.
People who ate more cholesterol-lowering foods (group 2 &3) saw their LDL drop significantly more than those who didn't (group 1).

This helps prove that diet can influence bad cholesterol levels.

The above study had nothing to do with sugar consumption, so I'm not sure why you are asking the question? Sugar consumption was not the focus of the study. It was about cholesterol lowering foods.

You made the point that tweaks to the diet would do little to influence cholesterol levels, and the above study proves just the opposite.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:14 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Your cholesterol level is a product of both diet and genetic factors. It is possible to improve the lipid pattern with diet:

Lowering LDL Cholesterol

"Lifestyle interventions often don't work nearly as well as a statin can. Exercise, a better diet, and supplements can generally reduce bad cholesterol by 20 to 40 percent, compared with 60 to 70 percent for statins. But Keenan estimates that 70 percent of people with problematic cholesterol levels could gain control with lifestyle changes alone."

What statins address that diet does not is the issue of inflammation:

http://www.aacc.org/publications/cli...109Jupiter.pdf

Patients who take high dose statins and have very low LDLs get significant heart attack risk reduction even if their HDL does not go up:

Some on Statins May Not Need Boost in 'Good' Cholesterol - US News and World Report

Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,999 times
Thanks for all the input. The problem is I don't eat many eggs at all....maybe 1 or 2 a week and my red meat consumtion is maybe a steak a week, so I am a bit confused myself. I have to admit I need to get back into the gym tho!
Any idea why they moved this thread??

Old 01-02-2012, 04:56 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
I have tried diet, exercise, supplements to no effect. I have also tried just about every statin on the market. Although the statins DID lower my LDL significantly, it wasn't worth the side effects of chronic muscle pain. Doctors seem to think living with muscle pain is an acceptable trade off for desired cholesterol numbers. I disagree. Muscle pain is the body's way of saying something is wrong, that the medication is slowly (or not so slowly) causing muscle deterioration. The medical community acknowledges that 10 - 20 percent of folks who take statins will experience muscle pain. In my opinion, I would rather feel good without statins and take my chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss