Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:03 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,999 times

Advertisements

My Doc recently told me I had to lower my "bad" cholesterol. Cut back on red meat and eggs. As a side note I have discovered Egg Beaters aren't so bad after all. Any other ideas/recipes for this??

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-01-2012 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: moved from the Maine forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
You can also start eating only the whites of the egg. The white portion contains no cholesterol. All the cholesterol is found in the yolk.

It's pretty easy to separate the yolk from the white in an egg. Just split the egg in half by tapping the center with a knife edge. Then pass the yolk back and forth between the two egg shell halfs. While you are passing the yolk back and forth, the white will drain from the egg, leaving only the yolk in the shell.

Or another easy way to eat just the white, is to hard boil the egg. Then the yolk is all balled up in the center, and can easily be discarded.

I typically hard boil around 12 eggs at a time, and put them all in the fridge, so I can enjoy them anytime I want them.

If you absolutely feel the need to eat a yolk, you can mix 3 - 4 egg whites + 1 yolk. That way, you are cutting the amount of yolk down by 60 - 75%, and reducing the cholesterol by the same amount as well.

Another thing to do to help lower your cholesterol is eat breads and cereal made from whole grain oats. Here is some good info on this:

Cholesterol: Top five foods to lower your numbers - MayoClinic.com

Here is more useful info on cholesterol:

http://www.all-about-lowering-choles...olesterol.html

Last edited by RD5050; 01-01-2012 at 07:24 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Go ahead and make those changes to your diet and no others and then go back to the doc and have him measure it again. You may be unpleasantly suprised to discover that what you did had little or no effect on the reading. After that, get serious about exercising and eating fewer calories and sugared crap and then go back for a third reading. I'll bet at that point you and your doc will be pleasantly surprised at the results. Cholesterol management is a bit more complicated than merely switching to Egg Beaters and fish. You'd likely have to be consuming massive quantities of eggs and meat now to impact your blood lipids by eliminating them.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 01-01-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Go ahead and make those changes to your diet and no others and then go back to the doc and have him measure it again. You may be unpleasantly suprised to discover that what you did had little or no effect on the reading. After that, get serious about exercising and eating fewer calories and sugared crap and then go back for a third reading. I'll bet at that point you and your doc will be pleasantly surprised at the results. Cholesterol management is a bit more complicated than merely switching to Egg Beaters and fish. You'd likely have to be consuming massive quantities of eggs and meat now to impact your blood lipids by eliminating them.
So true. A well balanced diet of healthy foods and a good dose of exercise is usually all it takes to lower bad cholesterol. Some people do have more difficulty and need to go on medication, but that is the exception.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
So true. A well balanced diet of healthy foods and a good dose of exercise is usually all it takes to lower bad cholesterol. Some people do have more difficulty and need to go on medication, but that is the exception.
That's pretty much the same story for diabetes 2: lifestyle reversible.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:55 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,576 times
Take a Garlic tablets, and eat oatmeal in the morning.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:09 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
Eggbeaters are good, make some veggie omelets. I currently have to keep an eye on my HDL. I am trying to exercise more, eat less meat. So, hang in there!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Eggbeaters are good, make some veggie omelets. I currently have to keep an eye on my HDL. I am trying to exercise more, eat less meat. So, hang in there!
So how is that working out? Are you seeing your number dropping?

I feel like I'd be pretty safe if I offered $1 million to anyone who could demonstrate they actually reduced their cholestrol by merely reducing fat consumption but not losing weight or increasing physical fitness.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:05 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
Cava, I am trying to raise my HDL, I think the OP may have issues with LDL? My physician said she likes to see women have HDL at 50 or more. I agree with you, I think that people do need to lose weight if they are overweight and increase their physical fitness, however I've known some people who have bad cholesterol even though they appear to be within normal weight range.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:15 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Cava, I am trying to raise my HDL, I think the OP may have issues with LDL? My physician said she likes to see women have HDL at 50 or more. I agree with you, I think that people do need to lose weight if they are overweight and increase their physical fitness, however I've known some people who have bad cholesterol even though they appear to be within normal weight range.
My husband is one of them. He takes Lipitor. He is also active, goes to the gym, is a good weight and eats really healthy foods. Its just one of those things for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss