Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 AM

72 posts, read 451,868 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Here's my problem...........for the past month I've been getting myself back in shape with weight lifting, cardio and eating better. For lunch I ususally have a small salad, sandwhich, fruit and water. The salad has been causing me an issue since it has been running right thru me and effect my work by putting me in the bathroom. Does anyone know a good substitute to add to my lunch that is healthy and fulfilling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,720,641 times
That is just what happens when you eat healthy and are losing weight. Its going to come out somewhere. You should have to "go" about an hour after you eat. Just give your body a couple more weeks to adjust and then see about changing things. But it could be the oil? Why not just pick a different vegetable dish without oil. You could always make a veggie heavy healthy casserole and take that instead. Use brown rice as a base and go easy on the cheese. Some baggie ideas: Cut up a bunch of raw bell peppers in different colors. Raw broccoli and cauliflower with baby carrots. Roasted peas and roasted chickpeas seasoned.(they crunch like chips)

Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 AM

41,990 posts, read 75,279,142 times
What are you putting in your salad?? What are you dressing it with? Are you washing the vegetables thoroughly?

Did you have this issue before (I'm assuming you'd eaten a salad before in your life)?

Are you sure it's the salad?

Take a look at what goes into the salad. Try eliminating and re-introducing the vegetables and see what happens.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 AM

Its all just a regular romaine salad. In the past my stomach would be affected if I ate a whole bag of salad, but now it's messing my stomach up off just a small bowl. I also eat a big bowl of oatmeal in the morning as well.......thinking it could be all that fiber.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,811,264 times
They're not asking what kind of lettuce is in the salad. They're asking what dressing you're putting ON the salad. Is it oil/vinegar? Creamy bleu cheese? Ranch? Green Goddess? Tahini, lemon juice, what? And how small is small? Three outer leaves of the romaine? A quarter of a 10-ounce pre-cut pre-washed bag? Is there cabbage in the salad too or exclusively romaine lettuce? What other things are in the salad? There's no such thing as "just a regular romaine salad." A regular romaine salad to me, would be romaine, baby spinach, sunflower seeds, grape tomatoes, feta cheese, calamata olives, and tahini dressing that I make from scratch each time I want some. A regular romaine salad to my husband is just romaine lettuce and oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. My sister's preference is romaine, with crumbled bleu cheese and raspberry vinaigrette.

What you're putting on the salad, could be causing the problem. If you're eating the lettuce raw and undressed, then you might possibly have an intestinal problem that needs to be checked. It isn't normal to have intestinal distressed just by eating a "small salad" of romaine lettuce. It -is- normal to have to take a dump within an hour after eating.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
Its all just a regular romaine salad. In the past my stomach would be affected if I ate a whole bag of salad, but now it's messing my stomach up off just a small bowl. I also eat a big bowl of oatmeal in the morning as well.......thinking it could be all that fiber.
Well hell yeah. You are overdoing the fiber big time and your body is trying to adjust. You can stick it out and in a week or two everything should be back to normal, or you can cut down on either the salad or the oatmeal to try to reduce the "side effects" of your recent change in diet.

Personally, I can't handle oatmeal. It's just TOO TOO TOO much fiber for me. So you might try cutting back on that first.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They're not asking what kind of lettuce is in the salad. They're asking what dressing you're putting ON the salad. Is it oil/vinegar? Creamy bleu cheese? Ranch? Green Goddess? Tahini, lemon juice, what? And how small is small? Three outer leaves of the romaine? A quarter of a 10-ounce pre-cut pre-washed bag? Is there cabbage in the salad too or exclusively romaine lettuce? What other things are in the salad? There's no such thing as "just a regular romaine salad." A regular romaine salad to me, would be romaine, baby spinach, sunflower seeds, grape tomatoes, feta cheese, calamata olives, and tahini dressing that I make from scratch each time I want some. A regular romaine salad to my husband is just romaine lettuce and oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. My sister's preference is romaine, with crumbled bleu cheese and raspberry vinaigrette.

What you're putting on the salad, could be causing the problem. If you're eating the lettuce raw and undressed, then you might possibly have an intestinal problem that needs to be checked. It isn't normal to have intestinal distressed just by eating a "small salad" of romaine lettuce. It -is- normal to have to take a dump within an hour after eating.
Nothing but romaine lettuce with ceaser dressing. Been using the same dressing for years and has never gave me the issues it is now. I googled and looks as if green salad or any leafy vegetable can give you the runs.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well hell yeah. You are overdoing the fiber big time and your body is trying to adjust. You can stick it out and in a week or two everything should be back to normal, or you can cut down on either the salad or the oatmeal to try to reduce the "side effects" of your recent change in diet.

Personally, I can't handle oatmeal. It's just TOO TOO TOO much fiber for me. So you might try cutting back on that first.

20yrsinBranson
Been eating a bowl of oatmeal every morning for work for the past 6 years.........I'm leaning more towards the salad then the oatmeal.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,854,984 times
Lightly steamed vegetables sounds like a better option for you if raw vegetables are too much for your system right now because of a lack of digestive fire.
You don't want to forgo vegies but you also don't want to be eating foods that you can't properly digest.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,979,657 times
I second the lightly steamed (or even raw) vegetables that jaijai says above. Just make sure they are green veggies though.

Also, as far as salads, I am NOT at all a fan of them. I am a pretty healthy eater and pay pretty good attention to my diet, and can say that salads can be really bad for you if you dont know what you are doing. Most people mistakenly think salad=healthy or salad=nutritious and that is NOT always the case.

First of all, there is ZERO nutrients in lettuce, which is the #1 reason I say salads are not good for you. If I eat a salad, its NEVER EVER EVER EVER lettuce of any kind. Its ALWAYS spinach which packs more nutrients than empty salad. Secondly, I NEVER put any dressing on it. If anything, I'll sprinkle some cayanne pepper, chili powder or (on rare occasions) lemon pepper. If you want HEALTHY, drop the lettuce and switch to SPINACH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss