Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 02:59 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The fact of the matter, is that obesity is *up* in the USA, despite any overall changes in dietary habit nationwide.

The fact of the matter, is there was a whole lot of bru-ha-ha about wheat being bad, and the diagnosis of gluten intolerance, and IBS, and celiac, is gaining popularity as the "illness of the month" in the medical world. As such, the food industry is exploiting this fad and marketing new products in an effort to raise profit margins. It is succeeding in spades.

And yet - obesity is still on the rise. The only significant change, is that people who have gluten intolerances have reduced their symptoms, and people with celiacs are now able to better manage their illness because of more options in the supermarket and restaurants.
and actually gluten free is so much higher in carbs!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:14 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
I hate to see celiac disease referred to as an "illness of the month." Anyone doing so is simply ignorant of the facts and the seriousness of celiac disease. Gluten is like poison to those with celiac - it is an auto-immune disease that can distroy the lining of the small intestine - thus negating absorption of vital vitamins and minerals that the body requires in order to be healthy. It can affect other organs in your body besides the small intestine causing all kinds of serious medical issues, stunt growth in children, etc. Those with Celiac are more likely to have certain kinds of cancer as well.

Celiac is diagnosed through a special blood test that until recently many doctors did not test for because many doctors weren't educated in celiac disease or its symptoms. Because there is now more awareness of the disease, more and more doctors are testing for it and more of those tests are proving to be positive for celiac.

People with Celia have often been having Celiac-related symptoms for many years but the disease was never properly diagnosed. Now that doctors are being educated to recognize the symptoms and testing for Celiac, the number of those with Celiac is increasing - so it is not a "disease of the month," but rather a disease that many have suffered from without correct diagnosis or treatment.

I was tested by two different doctors and had a biopsy - all were positive for celiac. I was anemic, low thyroid, had severe pain in my stomach and had other symptoms (rash) that my doctor did not recognize as being Celiac Disease. My gastro doctor's nurse upon discussing my medical history with me, recognized my symptoms and the necessary tests were run.

Stevemorse - Gluten free is not higher in carbs, whatever that means. Gluten free flours like rice, corn, potato, almond, quinoa, etc. - they are hgh in carbs and often low in fiber and protein (quinoa is high in protein but also high in carbs). Rice and corn flours are the main flours used in most commercially produced gluten free baked goods. I avoid all gluten free baked goods except a couple of slices of bread every few weeks - 140 calories for 2 slices of bread and 1 gram of fiber - not great, but sometimes a girl just needs a piece of toast.

A healthy gluten-free diet is easy to adapt to once you are educated in what foods to avoid. In my case I have found that eating no animal products, no refined sugar or added oils along with no gluten has enabled me to be the healthiest that I have been in years. I am also the lowest weight that I have been in years but being on the thin side is a good thing for me and a good thing for my health.

Last edited by Cattknap; 11-10-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
We are not talking about people with celiac disease. At least I wasn't. I am referring to people that jump on the diet fad of the month bandwagon, who somehow think gluten is making them fat. I know people suffering from celiac disease and for them it is a serious health issue.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 AM

Anonchick - I am quoting her post about Celiac...."illness of the month" as she put it. So some but not all are talking about Celiac Disease when they lump it in with wheat allergies, etc. Celiac is serious stuff not to be confused with wheat allergies which, while not great, but usually not fatal, as Celiac can be.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Oh for chrissakes Catnap. If you can't get past that one word in the entirety of my post, just pretend I didn't post that one word. Singling out that -one- thing and using it to trash my entire post is a pretty myopic thing to do.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 PM

I didn't trash your post - those are your words. But you did treat cealic disease as if it were a joke - it is not a joke - but to deflect your offense, you go on the defense - which is what I expected.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I didn't trash your post - those are your words. But you did treat cealic disease as if it were a joke - it is not a joke - but to deflect your offense, you go on the defense - which is what I expected.
With all due respect Anon has written in several posts how serious celiac disease is. This particular thread is not about celiac disease, so no need to belabor the point.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,228 times
I've lowered my amount of wheat intake tremendously and it seems to have a positive effect on my health. I've replaced a lot of my wheat intake with quinoa. Trader Joe's makes good quinoa based bread which I used for sandwiches.

When I do eat wheat I always stick to whole grain. I find Kashi wheat products (crackers, cereal) to be good quality and digest well.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,411,515 times
I have the real deal - Coeliac Disease - not a wheat allergy, and therefore it is imperative that I eat a gluten free diet to avoid damage occurring to my intestines, which will cause malabsorption and possible eventual bowel cancer.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM

141 posts, read 278,865 times
Wheat just has less carbs than white bread. Nothing that says its good for you because it's wheat. The French don't eat wheat bread, they eat French white bread. The Japanese don't eat wheat brown rice, they eat white rice. Indian/Persian restaurants don't serve 100% whole wheat naan. America invented wheat everything, and the government controls what people think about wheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss