Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 AM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if there's anyone now overweight, looking to lose weight, who does NOT eat plentiful simple carbs such as bread, potatoes, chips, rice, cookies, rolls, biscuits, cake, pie, sodas, sweet tea, and such? Or who does NOT have a big sweet tooth for desserts?

Or anyone who has lost weight (and kept it off) by changing their diet by cutting out simple carbs and sugar?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,234,188 times
I lost 25 lbs by cutting out simple carbs and sugar, and basically eating very low glycemic foods...some of it has drifted back over the years due to indulging in those foods again but I'm extrememly carbohydrate sensitive and they turn to instant fat on me. Not all people are like that.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Thanks for your reply..that's just what I was looking for..I think I'm carb sensitive, too. I do well with low carb consumption...and pork right on up when I fall off the low-carb wagon.

I've found out that bread and beer are not my friends...lol.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM

141 posts, read 426,571 times
I am the same way Little Dolphin. I do much better cutting out all of the simple carbs. In fact bread seems to be my biggest problem. I love it but after eating it I feel so bloated and sluggish. Now if I want a "sandwich" I use a low carb wrap instead. I have been trying to limit my carbs to those in vegetables or an occasional sweet potato.

I was a lot heavier and I am losing weight and feeling much better after cutting out the sugar. I am insulin resistant and had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant. My doctor says that eating a low carb diet will help keep my blood sugar regulated. I am not diabetic but my blood sugar was borderline.

I know that many people out there say just to eat a balanced diet and that might work for them but it does not work for me. I am following my doctor's advice and I feel so much better.

Stephanie

Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 PM

Glad to hear your good results, too, Stephanie. Seems each of us have our own personal body chemistry..for those of us who are carb sensitive, this path makes us feel better and helps keep our weight from ballooning.

My glucose was rising, too, and then fell again when I backed off the carbs...

Darn it. I loved a good crusty French bread or sour dough with sweet butter!

But the good side is that I can have bacon and eggs without guilt now..just not the toast!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 AM

259 posts, read 670,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Glad to hear your good results, too, Stephanie. Seems each of us have our own personal body chemistry..for those of us who are carb sensitive, this path makes us feel better and helps keep our weight from ballooning.

My glucose was rising, too, and then fell again when I backed off the carbs...

Eat cinnamon when you can, it helps regulate blood sugar.

There are two types of people;

Those who eat until they are full, eat whenever they are hungry, don't eat when they're not hungry and control their weight without counting calories....................

................and those who eat high-glycemic carbs and have weight/blood sugar problems.

Chocolate and red wine are my downfall, but I'll shave those those last three pounds off shortly.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
Eat cinnamon when you can, it helps regulate blood sugar.

There are two types of people;

Those who eat until they are full, eat whenever they are hungry, don't eat when they're not hungry and control their weight without counting calories....................

................and those who eat high-glycemic carbs and have weight/blood sugar problems.

Chocolate and red wine are my downfall, but I'll shave those those last three pounds off shortly.
That's a fascinating observation! After thinking about it for a while, I think you're absolutely right. That makes weight control/loss rather simple, doesn't it? But I guess many people don't want to give up their "pet/favorite" foods, so that makes the weight loss industry a billion dollar business. Looking for the easy fix...

Seems the traditional food pyramid, with all the grains emphasized, is doing us harm...

IMHO, chocolate and red wine are health foods!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss