Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,272 times

Advertisements

The point is (at least as the Paleo people put it) our digestive systems and anatomy is still wired for the paleolithic foods. That part of our bodies hasn't changed that much. Humans ate paleo WAY longer than they ate grain or anything else we eat today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 05:33 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
And this isn't a fad diet...why, exactly?
It is not a fad because he is not saying to eat ONLY those foods - just to include plenty of them in your diet. Nothing "fad" about it. Have you watched it or read anything about it?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:38 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Exactly. And paleo eating is ridiculous also because we're not going out and hunting for our supper, or foraging for those roots and plants, or climbing the palm tree to pick the coconuts, or rooting for ants in a sandy burrow. We are, for the most part, driving to the supermarket, loading up a cart on wheels, wheeling it to a cashier, letting some geeky kid stuff it all in a bag, and driving it all home again. And then, instead of gathering wood and slamming flint against a stone to build a fire, we are turning a dial on the stove, oven, or microwave. Or maybe even our gas grill.

We are not living like the paleolithic people lived, therefore, we should not be eating as the paleolithic people ate. Our bodies have mutated since then, and we are a rather adaptive species.
I agree, we are an adaptive species. Bottom line, I think most of us can and should eat a wide variety of foods, just skip the processed stuff (with just an occasional cheat) and everything in moderation. I know I feel best when I include a little of everything in my diet (each food group). But I do skip the refined sugars and flours, I have to.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
The point is (at least as the Paleo people put it) our digestive systems and anatomy is still wired for the paleolithic foods. That part of our bodies hasn't changed that much. Humans ate paleo WAY longer than they ate grain or anything else we eat today.
Many paleolithic foods no longer exist, so if you wanted to really, actually, and truly eat a paleolithic diet exclusively, you would likely starve to death, or die of disease. People didn't eat domestic cows, in the paleolithic age, because domestic cows didn't exist. Refrigeration didn't exist in the paleolithic age, so you'd have to have your meat freshly butchered (not cow, don't forget - ain't no such thing if you're really going paleo), and throw away whatever you can't eat in a single meal, OR risk disease and food poisoning by letting it sit on the counter til you're hungry again.

Paleo ceased to be paleo for a reason. We are not paleolithic man anymore, for a reason. If you want to go back to the caves and live like a caveman, I'm sure you can find some. Don't forget to bring a spear - and leave your cell phone at home.

While you're doing that, I'll have some yoghurt (which is not allowed on the paleo diet) with granola (which is not allowed on the paleo diet), and maybe I'll have a bowl of oatmeal tomorrow (which is not allowed on the paleo diet), and have some bacon-wrapped filet mignon for dinner, with a salad and slice of bread (which is not allowed on the paleo diet). Followed, perhaps, by a scoop of ice cream for dessert (which is not allowed on the paleo diet).

Good luck hunting your caribou. I'd recommend roasting it with garlic, but unfortunately, garlic is also not allowed on the paleo diet.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Paleo is more like a movement than a diet. These days, it's an umbrella term. If you're interested in the ideas that fall under this umbrella, check out Robb Wolf's podcasts or Mark's Daily Apple. Lots of interesting people doing interesting things with their diet and lifestyle over there.

Everybody in the real world who is "going paleo" likes and limits and excludes different things from his diet, I've never met anyone who follows a strict version of it. Certainly no one excludes f***ing garlic. My roommate did the Whole 30 thing for 30 days (no grains, no legumes, no dairy), but that was only 30 days, as an experiment. He's added dairy back in, because he gets along great with dairy, and isn't fanatical about restricting grains and legumes, he just finds he doesn't feel the need to eat them much.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
I love legumes plus they are a great source of fiber. I love quinoa, brown rice, sprouted wheat organic bread. I love cheese. I love wine. I also love a good sourdough bread dipped in olive oil with some balsamic vinegar. I would never dream of giving up any of those things because someone says they are not good for me because some knuckle dragging version of me didn't eat them.
Maybe everything in moderation is too hard for some folks to follow and they need to put these restrictions on themselves. Life is too short.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:23 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I love legumes plus they are a great source of fiber. I love quinoa, brown rice, sprouted wheat organic bread. I love cheese. I love wine. I also love a good sourdough bread dipped in olive oil with some balsamic vinegar. I would never dream of giving up any of those things because someone says they are not good for me because some knuckle dragging version of me didn't eat them.
Maybe everything in moderation is too hard for some folks to follow and they need to put these restrictions on themselves. Life is too short.
Or their metabolism is different from yours and they run better on more meat and less beans. But no, you're right, keep assuming everyone who doesn't eat like you is morally defective.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Or their metabolism is different from yours and they run better on more meat and less beans. But no, you're right, keep assuming everyone who doesn't eat like you is morally defective.
Maybe supply some peer reviewed data that says some people's metabolism's run more efficiently on more meat.

My real criticism of these types of diets is that they are very hard to stay on very any significant period of time. In think people do much better when they have do not have to restrict any food groups. These diets may work in the short term, but when the person decides they are sick of this way of eating which could be in a month, or in a year, they are going to gain the weight back.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Yes moderation is hard for some people. I don't understand why you would find fault with someone who is trying to avoid trigger foods. Do you tell alcoholics that a little bit of wine won't hurt them?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yes moderation is hard for some people. I don't understand why you would find fault with someone who is trying to avoid trigger foods. Do you tell alcoholics that a little bit of wine won't hurt them?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
If this diet works for some people great. I take issue with those that say it is the best way to eat. I take issue with the people that say it is healthier. I take issue with the people who says its better because some folks who died out a long time ago ate this way.
I am all for any method that works for the individual. I am also old enough and wise enough to know that when you exclude certain food groups the failure rate skyrockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss