Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 AM

433 posts, read 1,370,311 times

Advertisements

I am currently trying to lose weight by burning fat. I decided that I should be doing cardio and so far I have been getting results. But I want to speed things up as safely as possible. I have been losing touch with the gym so I can do my cardio-only workouts at home, but then I remembered reading somewhere online that when you have more or stronger built muscles, it increases your metabolism and speeds up the fat loss. Is this true and can anyone give more details about this? My main focus right now is burning lots of fat, and I don't want to weight-train if the built muscle won't even reveal itself under all the fat. I'll focus more on that after I get skinnier. But if it helps speed up the fat loss, then I'll do more of it now.

What do you guys know about this? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:56 AM

326 posts, read 704,432 times
I've learned a lot talking with the people on the forums here and I feel the best way to lose weight is by P90x style high intensity exercise. The goal here is doing strength building exercise like push-ups/squats/sprints ect to burn all the energy in your muscle cells (get them tired). During your body's recovery stage it will increase metabolism to replenish these depleted energy stores. As you get stronger your muscle cells increase their size allowing greater storage of energy - thus when you deplete them it requires even more metabolism and fat burning to replenish! This results in the quickest way to become fit through strength/cardio exercise.

My issue with this is that it does not increase basal metabolism - so if you stop your routine you will quickly put on weight again. I think the key for weight control after this weight loss is to shift your routine to more of endurance exercise - 30-60 minute walks at a pace where it is a little bit hard to hold a conversation. This will improve growth of mitochondria which should increase your basal metabolism and improve your resistance to weight gain.

And of course - proper diet!!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Muscles burn calories at a faster rate than fat. So if you have more muscles you can burn calories more efficiently. However it is not that drastic of a jump. But when you do an intense workout you get an after burn where your metabolism is raised for hours afterward.
You can do push-ups, squats, lunges, core exercises all without gym equipment. Incorporate those into your routine and you will be all the more fit faster.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Basically, you want to improve your muscle/fat ratio. Strength training will help you to accomplish this.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:46 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I have read that the very best exercise for burning fat is HIIT--high intensity interval training and you can get an entire workout done in 20 minutes. High-intensity interval training - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's really like sprinting where you go all out for 30 seconds and then kick it back to leisurely for 1-1/2 minutes and then go all out again. The reason it's supposed to work is because it will build up your growth hormone level which will help your metabolism. I've done this workout some and it's a killer.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I have read that the very best exercise for burning fat is HIIT--high intensity interval training and you can get an entire workout done in 20 minutes. High-intensity interval training - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's really like sprinting where you go all out for 30 seconds and then kick it back to leisurely for 1-1/2 minutes and then go all out again. The reason it's supposed to work is because it will build up your growth hormone level which will help your metabolism. I've done this workout some and it's a killer.
Yes. It's insane. Sometimes we do it for only 20 minutes of our workout. Then the rest we are doing serious weight lifting. Then sometimes we do it for a whole hour and I want to die and we burn close to a 1000 calories. I really had to work up to that. You have to build the endurance for it.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:12 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Do two finger pushups like this. (Joke.. but still... WOW!)

Bruce Lee - Karate Tournament 1967 (VinÃ*cius S_A_).avi - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss