Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm not a fruit type person (can't stand them) but I have always said - if it's in a liquid, I might be able to force it down.

My daughter wants me to try this for 3 days (the Renovator).

Anyone tried this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
This is very popular in New York right now. I've never tried myself, but I have a few friends who have done it. Also a few girls at my work. They've also started selling this at the Whole Foods in New York. I personally don't like the idea of drinking something that's unpasturized yet mass produced.

Let's just say I've never seen someone on a juice cleanse look happy. It actually looks like the most miserable thing I've ever seen and people get VERY tired while in them. Here's an article the Times did on them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/fa...pagewanted=all

Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
It's a sham, just like all "cleanse" liquid diets. The entire program is based on the myth that your body builds up toxins and is not capable of eliminating them without their product.

Consider that myth:

Where are all the dead people who weren't able to eliminate those toxins, and didn't have this product?

If your blood has been tainted with toxins, then your blood is poisoned. If your blood is poisoned, then eventually you'll end up in the hospital or dead. A "cleanse diet" won't fix that. You'd need an antidote to poison, or possibly a blood transfusion. Drinking copious amounts of mineral-fortified kale juice isn't going to solve the problem of toxic blood.

It's a little different for colon cleansing - the colon is capable of eliminating waste all by itself. Miraculously enough, that is its function. The only time you'd need to do ANYTHING with the colon, is if it isn't doing what it is designed to do, by itself. And if that's happening, then drinking extra-fortified orange juice with pulverized sawgrass isn't going to make it work properly again.

If you want to juice up because it FEELS good to juice up, or because you enjoy the taste, or because you just feel like a liquid meal replacement is more convenient in a busy work environment, then enjoy. If you are doing it because the website claims it'll cure your gout, then you're just another sucker making "big suppla" rich.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:41 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I would imagine that drinking all of that juice would tend to have a "cleansing" effect on one's colon...

Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Cleanses are pointless.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 PM

326 posts, read 704,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's a sham, just like all "cleanse" liquid diets. The entire program is based on the myth that your body builds up toxins and is not capable of eliminating them without their product.

Consider that myth:

Where are all the dead people who weren't able to eliminate those toxins, and didn't have this product?

If your blood has been tainted with toxins, then your blood is poisoned. If your blood is poisoned, then eventually you'll end up in the hospital or dead. A "cleanse diet" won't fix that. You'd need an antidote to poison, or possibly a blood transfusion. Drinking copious amounts of mineral-fortified kale juice isn't going to solve the problem of toxic blood.
It could cause you to end up in the hospital... or dead... or perhaps a metabolic disease? Not all toxins are black and white - dead or not dead. So can have minimal effects of making you feel tired all day.
However the benefit of the "juicing" diets may not be in the cleansing - but probably more of curing deficiencies in a number of vitamins and nutrients. Lots of people on both the web and around me claim juicing works wonders - so either there is something to it or it is a great placebo effect - either way does it matter?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Juicing is nothing more and nothing less than the process of pulverizing perfectly edible whole foods into a liquid, and then drinking it.

Unless you have no teeth, or a digestive disorder that prevents the breaking down of solids into waste, then there is no *need* to juice.

Juicing is either an alternative or an adjunct to eating chewable foods. You can macerate it before it gets to your mouth, or macerate it in your mouth. That's all it is. It's letting a machine do all the chewing for you so you don't have to do it yourself.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 AM

326 posts, read 704,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Juicing is nothing more and nothing less than the process of pulverizing perfectly edible whole foods into a liquid, and then drinking it.

Unless you have no teeth, or a digestive disorder that prevents the breaking down of solids into waste, then there is no *need* to juice.

Juicing is either an alternative or an adjunct to eating chewable foods. You can macerate it before it gets to your mouth, or macerate it in your mouth. That's all it is. It's letting a machine do all the chewing for you so you don't have to do it yourself.
Not true -- the removal of fiber allow you to eat more nutrient dense foods. Lets assume if you eat carrots directly you can eat a bag of them - but with juicing you can eat 3 bags - that means 3 times as many vitamins, minerals and micronutrients than you would have consumed otherwise. It is supercharging the nutrition per unit weight of the food you eat.

As I was thinking more on toxins - there probably is some removal. The majority probably comes from the toxins you are avoiding by eating crushed vegetables and not refined foods. However, toxins are also stored in fat and as you lose it these toxins are released and can sometimes make a person feel sick and lethargic. By avoiding the intake of new toxins (by something like juicing) you can ease the "detoxification" process.

Here is a decent summary on it:
Detoxification During Weight Loss

Here is a study looking specifically at PCBs
Increase in plasma pollutant levels in response t... [Metabolism. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss