Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:34 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,768 times

Advertisements

Feel free to disagree all you want but you're arguing with Harvard and numerous independent researchers, not my opinion on the matter. I'm just stating what different research has shown and it has pretty clearly shown that dairy is unhealthy and linked to cancer/heart disease. If you don't want to change because you enjoy the taste of cheddar, good for you. You're probably joined by the majority of people. I don't buy the "in moderation" thing one iota. Are cigarettes good for you in moderation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 03:34 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
The amount of misinformation around here is absolutely staggering. Dairy is linked to cancer, heart disease, and a various host of other western world diseases like diabetes and MS.
That's funny. I could make the same post and just replace the word "dairy" with "wheat/grains".

There are many foods like dairy, fats, etc that get falsely linked to medical conditions because they are consumed along with grains. Get rid of the grains and you can eat the saturated animal fats, cheese, etc. The indigenous people on this side of the world got along just fine and healthy eating meats, dairy, fruits, and vegetables until the western diets heavy in grains was introduced. That's when heart disease, cancer, diabetes and others surfaced.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
That's funny. I could make the same post and just replace the word "dairy" with "wheat/grains".

There are many foods like dairy, fats, etc that get falsely linked to medical conditions because they are consumed along with grains. Get rid of the grains and you can eat the saturated animal fats, cheese, etc. The indigenous people on this side of the world got along just fine and healthy eating meats, dairy, fruits, and vegetables until the western diets heavy in grains was introduced. That's when heart disease, cancer, diabetes and others surfaced.

I'm pretty sure its the huge consumption of processed foods that really started ramping up diseases into overdrive. I also don't feel that grains are unhealthy but merely a scapegoat for the real killers. Likewise, I can point to entire groups of populations that eat grains with little to no meat/dairy consumption with no cancer/heart disease. That game can be played all day.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Quote:
That game can be played all day.
Exactly, so we'll stop there.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Exactly, so we'll stop there.
I've been vegan for over a year now and refining my diet but there may be some merit to grains being unhealthy. The last year or so I have felt gut bombs from things like whole wheat pasta and then my mood turns sour. While I don't believe most whole grains to be the enemy (compared to things like animal products) they do appear to have an undesirable effect on me. Nothing like dairy though. Last time I ate cheese I passed out and then had the runs two hours later. I also no longer speak about the last time I ate at McDonald's 8 or 9 months ago as the experience was beyond words.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:32 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Cheese has none to very few carbs, yet it's regarded as fattening. What are your thoughts on cheese consumption?

I see a lot of bad info on this thread so I am ignoring that and just starting fresh.

Cheese has varied amount of carbs in the "serving size" which is usually very small to most people. (2-4oz- ex: slice of cheese is about 1oz)
Atkins Diet Food Lists for the Induction Phase - What to Eat on Atkins Diet Induction

I think if you are going to do atkins you should do it right and not just mindlessly go low carb. Cheese is very limited in your induction phase. As you go through the phases of atkins to find your personal carb threshold for maintenance you.

"Although cheese contains fats and proteins, which are emphasized on a low-carb diet, cheese can still be high in calories. It is important that you watch how much cheese you are consuming; too much of any food can lead to weight gain."
Read more: How Much Cheese On A Low-carb Diet? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I've been vegan for over a year now and refining my diet but there may be some merit to grains being unhealthy. The last year or so I have felt gut bombs from things like whole wheat pasta and then my mood turns sour. While I don't believe most whole grains to be the enemy (compared to things like animal products) they do appear to have an undesirable effect on me. Nothing like dairy though. Last time I ate cheese I passed out and then had the runs two hours later. I also no longer speak about the last time I ate at McDonald's 8 or 9 months ago as the experience was beyond words.

Sounds like you are allergic to it. Milk definitely is not for everyone just as the vegan diet is not for everyone. Some people have enzyme deficiencies beyond their control that will prevent them from thriving on a healthy vegan diet. I never met a vegan that agreed with milk whether they wanted to or not..lol. Its usually that and beef that just slays their system. Vegans are allergic to cows I think.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:47 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I think if you are going to do atkins you should do it right and not just mindlessly go low carb.
Words to live low-carb by.

Quote:
Cheese is very limited in your induction phase. As you go through the phases of atkins to find your personal carb threshold for maintenance you.
Exactly. I've found mine when it comes to cheese: severely limited. I love the stuff, but for me it's a trigger to overeat, which is why I limit it to condiment-sized shredded servings, and don't buy blocks of cheese anymore.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Words to live low-carb by.

Exactly. I've found mine when it comes to cheese: severely limited. I love the stuff, but for me it's a trigger to overeat, which is why I limit it to condiment-sized shredded servings, and don't buy blocks of cheese anymore.
I saw that complaint commonly on atkins boards back when I tried the atkins diet. Its a good thing to watch out for if you like your cheese.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Sounds like you are allergic to it. Milk definitely is not for everyone just as the vegan diet is not for everyone. Some people have enzyme deficiencies beyond their control that will prevent them from thriving on a healthy vegan diet. I never met a vegan that agreed with milk whether they wanted to or not..lol. Its usually that and beef that just slays their system. Vegans are allergic to cows I think.
I have no allergies to any foods at all and if I get accustomed to dairy I can easily drink half a gallon of whole milk a day, or more, as I have done that in the past. The problem is with dairy itself and if you get off of it for awhile it will make most anyone sick who starts to consume it again. Thats because its bad for you. Try it yourself and watch what happens. I guarantee the same thing will happen to anyone who gets off meat or dairy for any period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss