Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 10:38 AM

144 posts, read 184,853 times

Advertisements

For anyone who's experimented with a gluten-free diet, did you find that wheat was the main problem? Or was it just carbs in general that bothered you? I'm talking about weight problems, bad skin, and anything else goes to apparently be caused by wheat. Also, this is to anyone who's not allergic to wheat or has an extreme sensitivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 04:54 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
For anyone who's experimented with a gluten-free diet, did you find that wheat was the main problem? Or was it just carbs in general that bothered you? I'm talking about weight problems, bad skin, and anything else goes to apparently be caused by wheat. Also, this is to anyone who's not allergic to wheat or has an extreme sensitivity.
I have gluten intolerance, been on a gluten free diet for over 8 years and lost weight easily as well. The only big hurdle is the first month. After that, you will feel hungry far less often between meals as modern wheat has appetite stimulating properties. I generally stick with a modified paleo diet meaning: lean meats, fruits, vegetables, some starches like (quinoa, rice, some potatoes), and nuts. I only consume lower levels of dairy (some cheeses).

Old 12-14-2015, 09:08 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
You might find this interesting: Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity May Not Exist | RealClearScience

My personal opinion is that Non Celiac gluten sensitivity is vastly overstated. I did a month totally paleo, gluten free, etc, and noticed NO ill effects when I re introduced gluten to my diet.

I felt better and lost a weight, but I don't think it had anything to do with Gluten. Actually, in the two-three months afterwards I had the best effects, because it almost seemed like I functioned much better with more carbs.

People start eating much healthier diets, reap the benefits, and chalk it up to a lack of Gluten. Don't you think it has a lot more to do with the fact that they are eating a chicken breast with zucchini and broccoli that they prepared at home for lunch, instead of a McChicken and Fries and a Coke?

I really think that when people go on gluten free diets, they eat much less processed foods and much more vegetables, etc, and the results are predictable and positive, but not because of the gluten, in and of itself.

They eliminate many carbohydrates, and therefore many calories. Also, most snack foods are carbohydrates and have gluten. Its akin to saying that gasoline is making me fat. If I eliminated gasoline from my life, I would have to walk everywhere, and would likely lose weight as well.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:29 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You might find this interesting: Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity May Not Exist | RealClearScience

My personal opinion is that Non Celiac gluten sensitivity is vastly overstated. I did a month totally paleo, gluten free, etc, and noticed NO ill effects when I re introduced gluten to my diet.

I felt better and lost a weight, but I don't think it had anything to do with Gluten. Actually, in the two-three months afterwards I had the best effects, because it almost seemed like I functioned much better with more carbs.

People start eating much healthier diets, reap the benefits, and chalk it up to a lack of Gluten. Don't you think it has a lot more to do with the fact that they are eating a chicken breast with zucchini and broccoli that they prepared at home for lunch, instead of a McChicken and Fries and a Coke?

I really think that when people go on gluten free diets, they eat much less processed foods and much more vegetables, etc, and the results are predictable and positive, but not because of the gluten, in and of itself.

They eliminate many carbohydrates, and therefore many calories. Also, most snack foods are carbohydrates and have gluten. Its akin to saying that gasoline is making me fat. If I eliminated gasoline from my life, I would have to walk everywhere, and would likely lose weight as well.
Yup, all of this exactly. I have Celiac and I just don't understand people who give up gluten just to lose weight. Unless you are medically diagnosed with Celiac or an actual food allergy, eat clean 85% of the time, splurge 15% of the time, throw in some exercise and most people (obviously there are other disorders of the thyroid, pituitary, etc that can affect weight loss!) can lose weight/feel better.

Even I eat gluten free pizza, bread, etc (safe, obviously.)

Old 12-14-2015, 10:37 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
But its so much easier to say you have gluten sensitivity! Especially when you read those books that are best sellers that tell you its BAD!
This is the same type of thinking that made the Pet Rock a best seller.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:58 AM

389 posts, read 916,989 times
But gluten sensitivity does truly exist and I get tired of folks trying to make that a made-up issue. The gluten in our market today is totally different (much higher) than the gluten from the past. Listen to your body, people.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
But gluten sensitivity does truly exist and I get tired of folks trying to make that a made-up issue. The gluten in our market today is totally different (much higher) than the gluten from the past. Listen to your body, people.
I hear people say that a lot.

What sources do you have that confirm that there is more gluten in our bread today than there was 50 or 100 years ago?

Old 12-14-2015, 12:59 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I hear people say that a lot.

What sources do you have that confirm that there is more gluten in our bread today than there was 50 or 100 years ago?
Yes, I agree.

I know people who claim "gluten sensitivity" but will then go drink a beer...because they are only sensitive "sometimes." Sorry, I'm not buying it.

On the other end, I have a good friend with a diagnosed wheat allergy...which is completely different.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:26 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Yes, I agree.

I know people who claim "gluten sensitivity" but will then go drink a beer...because they are only sensitive "sometimes." Sorry, I'm not buying it.

On the other end, I have a good friend with a diagnosed wheat allergy...which is completely different.
Many years ago, back in the 90's, I drank a pint of Hefeweizen (wheat-based) beer. I had major GI symptoms later that night and the next day. I didn't give it much thought, but I did notice it, and avoided drinking beer after that (didn't like it much anyway, so no loss).

Years later, I started noticing GI problems when I ate meals with lots of wheat in them (such as a bowl of pasta). This is when I recalled the incident with the beer.

After that, I experimented with cutting out gluten, and found that those GI problems are almost completely tied to eating gluten. I am ok if I eat small amounts (such as a cookie or two a couple of times a week), but I essentially avoid large portions of anything with gluten.

This had nothing to do with weight loss though.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
For me it's the carbs. I eat a diet that is substantially gluten free because I don't eat any grains. However, during the rare occasions that I eat bread or have a beer it doesn't bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss