Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I have been doing it for almost three months already, and it doesn't get harder - it gets easier.
Also, there is no "cheating".. sometimes I have to skip a fast day for social reasons and I don't care.
I just return to the fast as soon as it is practical.
It sounds like a GREAT idea tjarado...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times
As someone with moderate IBS, a diet like that would wreak havoc on my digestive system.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
I personally feel fasting is very unhealthy in the long term and the only way to lose weight or maintain your desired weight is to eat as healthy as possible all the time not just a few days each week. Your body needs nutrients daily in specified amounts and moderation with anything is key to long term weight goals and good health.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,771,521 times
Update from OP:
Still doing it but during holidays I go with the flow and modify fast days for special events if needed (e.g. birthdays, after show gatherings = glass of wine, lunch date = nice appetizer, etc.).
So far no change in health, happiness, or weight.
Is this a silver bullet??

Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,811,138 times
I was doing it with great results this past summer but kind of lost my way when the stress of school started. Then I was getting more and more into my sweets and then a crazy TG weekend but fasted yesterday and the day before until supper and then ate normally and it's crazy how fast it cuts my sweet cravings. It's like they never were. I've been taking herb tea to work and making that with some mix-in fiber supplement to cut the hunger pangs and that works great. I'm sold. (again) I think this will get me thru the holidays and beyond.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 AM

25,974 posts, read 22,154,119 times
This sounds very unhealthy to me. I am 58 years old and have come to know many people in their 80's. Most grew up as I did with 3 sensible meals a day and increasing fruit/vegetables over meats as they aged, limiting sugar and increasing fiber. I have never fasted and rarely have missed a single meal in all my life. I would not say that one that so severely limits calories is "unintentionally losing weight". "Life extension"? I don't really get that. They say that right now, your health is reflected on what you were doing 20 to 30 years ago - eating, exercising, etc. Your choice but one I would not make. This does not sound healthy for the immune system.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:41 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,901 times
Since you have been on it awhile and its sticking I would review the nutritional quality of how you are eating.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I actually had an appointment with a surgeon for a non-related matter to this topic and he was talking about getting in shape and said he did an every other day fast. He had been doing it for years. That was the first I had ever heard about it until reading your post.

I personally have never tried it. I have fasted once a month but that's about it. I guess it would save on food and you probably would lose weight. I am not sure if it would mess up your metabolism.
There is always 2% of the population for which any diet will work.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,771,521 times
How did you come up with the 2% Charles, or was that just a figure of speech?
As far as nutrition goes, I seem to be gravitating towards protein early in the day, whether fasting or not, (e.g. fast day = a hard-boiled egg, PM = snack on fruit or nuts) and more carbs/dairy on dinner days. Of course there is no set pattern and I eat what i feel like, which is one of the liberating aspects of the regimen.
It ocurred to me that the fast days get you in the habit of recognizing food as the antidote to hunger, so on the normal days I naturally feel satisfied without "junk food" snacks...because I am NOT HUNGRY.
If you read some of the preliminary work on IF, fasting is NOT starvation.
Starvation ocuurrs when the body canibalizes muscle and tissue for food.
Hunger is when your mind/body wants food; sugar levels are typically lower, fat burning and other chemical processes may occur, but starvation is not one of them.
Re protein: "the digestion rate of many proteins, such as casein, can take up to 8 hours, feeding the body with amino acids throughout a large portion of the fast if consumed at the last meal. Also of concern is binging during the feeding time which seems to be the biggest mistake for IF beginners, and is why this eating style may not be for everyone. IF doesn't allow for a free pass to eat anything, as food choices should still be centered around whole, nutrient-dense foods that mirror the same caloric content and macronutrient ratios as would be in a frequent meal style of eating."

Besides, who decided we need three square meals a day? I sure don't.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM

515 posts, read 1,005,222 times
I do a daily 16 hour intermittent fast: I only eat from 12ish-8ish. I think it's easier to follow than an alternate day fast with the same benefits, but that's just my opinion with no real backing either way.

IF is a new trend but there is a wealth of research into why it's a great way to restore health and lose weight at the same time. Martin Bergman of leangains.com is a huge proponent and is how I heard of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss