Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 04:47 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,276,570 times

Advertisements

It used to be a way of life for me before I had kids; I just ate that way naturally. Once I was pregnant and felt like I had to eat more because of pregnancy, I gained weight. I wasn't sure why it worked, either, but when I read The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, it made sense. It works for me, and don't let anyone discourage you, OP! And there IS evidence that life is prolonged by calorie restriction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 PM

34 posts, read 67,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
There is some experimental animal research suggesting that caloric restriction will prolong life. However, I have not seen the research on starvation on odd/even days. I think you're screwing with your metabolism and may actually put undue stress on your body via induction of an inflammatory process that could actually trigger heart disease and cancer.

Instead of alternate day starvation, look into caloric restriction. Still better, read Irving Yalom's book "Staring at the Sun" and just enjoy life!
that's the point... a slow metabolism might extend life

Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM

34 posts, read 67,244 times
Coptic christians fast... as part of their faith. it has a long history. btw 400-500 calories a day... if you want to lose weight at below 100 lbs it's like 377 every date. the korean band girls generation eats 700 - 900 a day and they're not below 100 and they have high energy dance practices. so it's not anorexia level extreme... even if it were, to live 20-30 yrs longer... can motivate.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:27 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,675,784 times
Just thought I'd post an update. I have been on this diet now for about 5 weeks and have lost about 6 pounds. It's not a ton but I am actually very happy with it. I never loose or gain weight very fast (although gaining is a hell of a lot easier) so this works for me. I'm quite satisfied to loose a pound or so a week.

The things I like about this diet so far are:
Relatively easy. Reducing my caloric intake twice a week is not that hard. And as I continue it seems to be getting easier.
Resetting my eating habits. On the days I eat normally I have noticed that my appetite is a bit less voracious. Maybe my stomach has shrunk a bit but it is easier to control my eating. Also, I binge eat much less frequently too. My hunger pangs are more controlled. Before if I felt like it was time to eat I really needed to eat. Now I can hold off for a while or be more satiated by something smaller to eat.
I eat more fruits and vegetables now also. On the days you fast you need to eat fruits and vegetables to feel full without getting more calories. This has also transfered over to my feast days too.

So what don't I like? I guess that even though the fast days are not that hard they are still not completely easy. Some days go by without much issue. Others might be more of a struggle. Sure I'd like to loose more weight faster too. Of course, I could add another day of fasting into my routine every week but I'm pretty happy with the steady progress I've made. I may try that for a couple weeks though to see what happens.

Really up until this point it has been a much more positive experience then not. Even my parents and wife are on the diet and are happy too. And my mother has never been on a diet in her life. She has always been maintained a pretty healthy weight but she is looking to lower her cholesterol and thinks that this may help. Time will tell but I still feel good about it.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,771,521 times
Update from OP:
If anyone remembers, I started an Alternate Day Fast regimen 10 months ago, lost weight, saved money, and changed cooking habits to once - at most twice - weekly.
biggunsmallbrains - The process is not fast, but remarkably steady, which will keep you on track to reach your goal.
Remember, I didn't notice my weight loss until well into the regimen when I had an "AHA!" moment.
In the last 2 months or so I have slowly shifted out of ADF into a two day/week fast because I wanted to stop losing weight and achieve a stable, harmonious balance for life. Joyfully, I think I've got it now with a 2-day/ week 500 calorie "fast", 4 days of eating ad libitum, and a single day of never being hungry, but no frills (i.e. no alcohol or sugars). I have evolved to a stable "fighting" weight and have never been happier in this regard. I wish everyone on CD the best of luck and urge disbelievers to just try the regimen, modify it to suit your lifestyle and tastes, and then YOU be the judge for yourself.

Last edited by tjarado; 05-28-2013 at 06:26 AM..

Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,675,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Update from OP:
If anyone remembers, I started an Alternate Day Fast regimen 10 months ago, lost weight, saved money, and changed cooking habits to once - at most twice - weekly.
biggunsmallbrains - The process is not fast, but remarkably steady, which will keep you on track to reach your goal.
Remember, I didn't notice my weight loss until well into the regimen when I had an "AHA!" moment.
In the last 2 months or so I have slowly shifted out of ADF into a two day/week fast because I wanted to stop losing weight and achieve a stable, harmonious balance for life. Joyfully, I think I've got it now with a 2-day/ week 500 calorie "fast", 4 days of eating ad libitum, and a single day of never being hungry, but no frills (i.e. no alcohol or sugars). I have evolved to a stable "fighting" weight and have never been happier in this regard. I wish everyone on CD the best of luck and urge disbelievers to just try the regimen, modify it to suit your lifestyle and tastes, and then YOU be the judge for yourself.
Thanks for the update. I am quite happy on it. My mother has lost 8 pounds and she has never been on a diet before (at least not for long). Plus, she is almost 70 years old but in good health. I just spoke with her and she said that this was one of the best things that I have done for her. That made me feel good. I too will keep it up. It fits well into my lifestyle. It's beautiful in its simplicity and most importantly it works. I only wish that I knew about this a long time ago. Better late than never.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:43 AM

I have been asked to update this thread with a recent status on my regimen, so here it is:
The 29 day cruise that I returned from recently was a blowout to this regimen - tavelling and eating with others made it almost impossible to maintain, altho I did keep to low carbs, no sweets or alchohol every other day - as much as possible. Good, but not perfect by any means.
I don't think my weight was terribly affected and I returned to the regimen shortly after returning with little effort. Now I am back on track and continue to do a modified fast on Tuesday and Thursday.
All my clothes still fit but declining free food is quite a challenge on a cruise ship, especially when you are very active every day, that's for sure!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:08 PM

326 posts, read 704,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I have been asked to update this thread with a recent status on my regimen, so here it is:
The 29 day cruise that I returned from recently was a blowout to this regimen - tavelling and eating with others made it almost impossible to maintain, altho I did keep to low carbs, no sweets or alchohol every other day - as much as possible. Good, but not perfect by any means.
I don't think my weight was terribly affected and I returned to the regimen shortly after returning with little effort. Now I am back on track and continue to do a modified fast on Tuesday and Thursday.
All my clothes still fit but declining free food is quite a challenge on a cruise ship, especially when you are very active every day, that's for sure!
I've always felt when it comes to dieting that when you are on vacation - be on vacation, when you eat out - eat out -- the day to day doesn't matter- but sticking to healthy diet strategy long term is what matters.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times
Thank you for this thread bec it simply reminded me of IF.
I wanted to do it to just give my body time to rest and revitalize, detox.
Doing 500 calaries is nothing to me ...an egg is 74 calories, gee...then you have
egg whites way less.

I just never know why they call this fasting.
Fasting to me is fasting....on water, maybe an herbal tea....not even broth or juice.
But, whatever....today will be 500 calories.
Thank you

Old 09-27-2013, 08:30 AM

@ MissHepburn: I guess to be precise it should be called "Intermittent Modified Fasting" but that doesn't roll off the tongue too easily, eh?
I find this system is perfect for me, but probably is not for everyone, as 500 calories goes a long way with me as well.
Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss