Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,829 times

Advertisements

For the past year I have been using elliptical machine for cardio & I have developed chronic neck, back pain shortly after I started using it. I read online about people having issues with joints or spine alignment when using exercise machines that might mess up your posture. Just like artificial food (hfcc, gmo, etc.), is artificial exercise also harmful? Maybe good old fashioned walking, running or jogging is the natural way to stay healthy. Please share your opinions & experiences. Did anyone get injured or developed any issues by using such machines over a period of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
An elliptical, from my understanding as I used one for many years, is for low-impact. If you're having pain, you're using it "wrong". Maybe you're not standing up correctly. Anything you do with bad posture will create more bad posture and pain. If it's adjustable, you need to make adjustments to help you stand up tall and not slump over, etc. My parents' elliptical adjusts to each of their strides so it's not a one-size-fits-all machine with one setting. It can even adjust to a running stride vs a walking stride. The lesser expensive ones don't adjust, and they might be your problem.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:55 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
There have been a lot of recent reports that the elliptical machine can hurt your back. I have never used it, and I have no idea if it is really true or not. But it does make sense. Nothing about that machine seems natural to me. If you do cardio in the gym hit the treadmill for a run or fast walk at an incline, or cycle.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,365 times
The problem with most machines is they don't allow for a natural movement. Even treadmills force your gait out of alignment because you have to make up for the belt speed rather than naturally pressing off the ground with your foot.

You're not doing it wrong, it just might not be right for your body mechanics

Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,447 times
when i first started using the elliptical, i had back pain, but after three days, no pain at all....

the treadmill makes me knees/legs ache a bit, but not as bad as going for a run outside. i had to stop running(all natural outside way) entirely because it had destroyed my legs.

after doing squats, my thighs get sore very easily so i limit the number of reps i do

Old 12-21-2012, 02:10 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,115 times
There are several possible explanations for the OP's pain. First could be the size/alignment of the machine, thought our bodies can adjust reasonably well for this. I suspect a coupe of issues. One is posture. When we get tired we tend to lean into the elliptical machine more and slump forward. This allows us to use our quads (front of our thighs) more. Look around the next time you go into the gym and you'll see people in this position on the ellipticals and stair steppers. We do this because most of us are quad dominant and we want to use them! We also tend to sit too much. Net result is the third likely problem - tight hamstrings, tight hip flexors, weak gluteal muscles (your butt), and quad dominance. This all increases pressure on our low spine and frequently produces back pain.

The solution: STRETCH your hip flexors and hamstrings before and after exercise and stand up TALL on the elliptical. The elevated heart/chest position taught in yoga is VERY APPROPRIATE. The result is you will extend from the hip as you move the pedals and be developing you glutes. This is both good for posture and low back problems, and also starts to address a frequent concern of women at the gym (ie - toning the posterior).

Old 12-21-2012, 03:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I have to agree vehemently with the above posters who emphathize posture as the #1 possible culprit. On an eliptical, your legs are being forced into a quasi cross-country-ski kind of movement movement, but without the outward flex at the forward thrust. This will ultimately make your body -want- to bend forward, OR it will make you feel like you should be locking your knees. You need to do neither. There are two methods of using the elliptical, each using the moving handles (I wouldn't waste time on the elliptical with the stationary handles).

One is to stand erect - and the legs as straight as possible -without- locking your knees. All the strain of holding that position, while sliding your legs back and forth, should be on your glutes and front thigh muscles. The other muscles are being used, but you will feel it most in those two areas.

Another method is to bend your knees and squat down several inches - while at the same time keeping your back straight - it doesn't need to be straight up and down straight - just not curved. You can lean forward, but you can't lean -over.- The same kind of squat as when you are outside in the woods and have to take a dump. Only on the elliptical, you don't go down nearly that much. Just several inches. You'll find your glutes holding the -most- strain, with the muscles surrounding your hamstrings and your lower back muscles holding the next-most strain.

You could try alternating between the two positions: 5 minutes on the upright position at your normal pace and resistance level, followed by 1 minute in the semi-squat position as fast as you can go on a lower resistance. Then back to the 5 upright normal, and so on and so forth.

But in both positions, you need to keep your spine straight. Not inwardly curved (which you might do with the standing position) nor the bent-over curved (which you might do with the squat position). And never -ever- lock your knees when you stride.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Exercise side-effects
Some side effects Ive encountered:

Increased energy
Better sex
MORE sex
Rarely get sick
Wife wants more sex with me
Greater desire to eat good/healthy food

Most of the side effects I exeperience from exercise are along the lines of what I listed above.

As far as the equipment goes, I think the only two peices of cardio equipment worth using are:

1. The rower
2. Jump Rope

There are other good peices of equipment out there, but outside of flat out running outside, a rower and a jump rope are you best bets for cardio exericse.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:15 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
The problem with most machines is they don't allow for a natural movement. Even treadmills force your gait out of alignment because you have to make up for the belt speed rather than naturally pressing off the ground with your foot.

You're not doing it wrong, it just might not be right for your body mechanics

^^^THIS

I hate those types of machines. I have tried them and they feel off. Real cross country skiing does not.
It feels like its trying to fake that but it doesn't work for me. I never had chronic pain from them but I would get neck pinch feelings. I never will buy one of those again.

I also think they are a waste of time compared to weights/isometrics when it comes to upper body results.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM

178 posts, read 355,321 times
It is evident that using elliptical machine can cause you many problems, specially they hurt your back. whle using it you have to bend forward which causes foot numbness, pain in knees, pain in joints and in neck too. It hasnt worked out for me and than I havent used it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss