Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM

525 posts, read 761,250 times

Advertisements

Every theory and law in science has what is called a " scope of applicability."

I do not understand the references to the "the first law of thermodynamics" by Internet diet guru scammers? They are misusing and misapplying physics in an attempt to oversimplify the extremely complex biological phenomenon of obesity so they can blame the VICTIM. They are attempting to SOUND scientific to sell their worthless books to a gullible and desperate public. (Please remember that fat cell regulation/disregulation is poorly understood by scientists and the chemical behavior of fat cell receptors is not understood at all).

The human body is clearly an open system. Whoever says it isn't hasn't a clue about what open and closed systems are.

And energy is constantly being input and being lost in open systems; so total energy at any moment is constantly changing......it is not constant.

The conservation of energy law does NOT apply here.

The perks of having REAL, ACTUAL physicist friends and aquaintances.

Last edited by RickSantos; 01-08-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
I am of the opinion that this is primarily a religious forum, Rick.
Science has no place here!!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I am of the opinion that this is primarily a religious forum, Rick.
Science has no place here!!
Well pseudo science anyway which is all Rick posts.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
How does this apply to diet and weight loss? Are you for real?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
So basically, all these arguments stem from the same misguided and intentionally-misleading source. The end summary would be:

If you don't eat at all, you will not lose weight. If you eat everything you can stuff in your mouth, you will not gain weight. Your body will weigh -exactly- what it is destined to weigh, regardless of what you eat, and how you exercise, and even whether you exercise at all.

There's the experiment right there, to prove the theory wrong:

Weigh yourself this morning at 10AM.
Then, don't consume anything except water, and zero-calorie foods, for the next two months.
Weigh yourself at 10AM, in exactly two months.

Is there a difference?
I'll bet there will be!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
Anonchick.. You think "If you don't eat at all, you will not lose weight. If you eat everything you can stuff in your mouth, you will not gain weight" is a legitimate implication of Ricks post?

You clearly have never studied logic or inductive/deductive reasoning methods otherwise you would not have come to such an absurd "conclusion", which was made for the obvious purpose of discreditting his post.

I hope you aren't a computer programmer.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM

525 posts, read 761,250 times

Which EXPLAINS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about obesity. It's a TAUTOLOGY and EXPLAINS nothing whatsoever. It is POINTLESS to even mention it.

As my world renowned physicist source ( and this man specializes in thermodynamics by the way - black hole thermodynamics) told me:

Yes, it GENERALLY applies. HOWEVER, it is extremely complicated because we are an open system. There are ENORMOUS amounts of things you have to factor in. He said ALL of these commercial weight loss sites and various Internet sites ARE WRONG ( this includesd YOUR sites SusziQ) and extremely oversimplified versions of the equation. And that is ALL BEFORE ADDING THAT : Your body RESPONDS to all attempts ands ADJUSTS- dialing things up and down and all sorts of tricks.

Further, the BODY INVOLUNTARILY CONTROLS "energy balance" and affects it FAR MORE than any voluntary factor can. This gained piece of scientific knowledge ALWAYS GETS LOST in the discussion.

Furthermore he said: "The question is NOT whther the first law applies to humans, it is WHETHER WE CAN INFER from this law the BEHAVIOR of human fat cells.

That answer is NO.

The fact remains stating this law EXPLAINS NOTHING about obesity. It is POINTLESS to even mention it.

Last edited by RickSantos; 01-24-2013 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Anonchick.. You think "If you don't eat at all, you will not lose weight. If you eat everything you can stuff in your mouth, you will not gain weight" is a legitimate implication of Ricks post?

You clearly have never studied logic or inductive/deductive reasoning methods otherwise you would not have come to such an absurd "conclusion", which was made for the obvious purpose of discreditting his post.

I hope you aren't a computer programmer.
Re AnonChick's post:

hy·per·bo·le

[hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun Rhetoric . 1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

However Rick shouts it, whomever Rick claims among his friends, the fact is that there are people who were normal weight all their lives who then gain and there are people who lose weight and maintain their weight loss. It is hard, yes. But people do it. He insists it's impossible. It's not. The experts he quotes would never deny that if an individual who is stable at a given weight eats less he will not lose or if he eats more he will not gain. All the "evidence" that Rick likes to cite is about things that affect appetite. Those forces are tremendous, and they are hard to resist. There are some people who have genetic disorders that affect appetite, most notable among them being Prater-Willi syndrome. But the majority of people do not have such problems. Yes, we need to know more about the things that regulate appetite, but insisting that no one can ever lose weight is not helpful to the people in this forum who want to lose weight to look and feel better or because their doctors have told them they need to do so.

Rick denies that exercise will cause weight loss, but I know it will because I've done it.

I generally do not like anecdotes, but it only takes a few to disprove Rick's loud assertions. He cannot say losing weight and keeping it off is impossible because people do it. Every day.

If Rick's claims were true, Americans would be no fatter now than they were thirty years ago. Those of us who were alive thirty years ago can look around and tell you that Americans are indeed fatter. The all you can eat buffets, super-sized restaurant portions -
served on on turkey platters, not plates - and the inability of a large segment of the population to cook a meal from scratch account for a significant part of the gain. People do not know what a portion of any food should be. They eat too much food. It's not just too many carbs, it's not just too much fat, it's too much of everything.

Rick can argue about open systems and closed systems until his face is a multicolored as the fonts in his posts, but if you consume excess energy, it has to go somewhere, and if you consume less energy than you need to run the body's machinery, it has to come from somewhere. None of his posts have explained where "somewhere" is.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Speaking from experience and research.

After the body loses weight it will try to gain it back in certain ways.

A major thing I noticed after 25 lbs was hormone shifting that changed a lot.
One of them being a slow decline in hunger impulses as my body got used to the new lower weight.

At the end when I started strength training and change my composition my hunger went up again because my needs did. Before that shift I had to basically force feed myself enough calories to gain muscle. It felt like thanksgiving stuffed almost everyday unless I spread it out to 5 meals. When I was bigger I could easily eat that much because I had that mass and hormone level that drove the need.

I don't think its impossible when you are prepared to persist though the bumps in the road and make the intellectual choice rather than the emotional or physical one.

I think when people don't push through the set points and over ride them is a huge factor in failure.

That drive I can see being stronger in those who were fat their whole life or heavier. It just makes sense to m that the body would resist change when it was in a stable state of that stature and habits. Still doesn't mean you can't lose to a healthy weight.

Not everyone that goes to college graduates.
Why?
They quit for whatever reason.

Its really the same thing with weight loss.

If you want to feel better, you have to act better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss