Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I find I stay on plan really well when I diary everything I eat.
When a person has to take these extreme measures (or chewing food 15 times or not eating bread, etc) you have to just wonder if it is all worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Just because she's not hungry doesn't mean her fill is ok. How much can she eat at a sitting? That is how you determine if she needs an adjustment. The fact that she just needs to lose 50 lbs. is going to be harder and slower than someone that needs to lose 200 lbs.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:17 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Your wife has to eat 1500 calories a day, every day. Not just some of the days, every day.

We know your wife's goal weight is 150..what was her starting weight?

Last edited by Kim in FL; 04-02-2013 at 04:40 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 AM

986 posts, read 1,665,876 times
+1 for Thyroid issues. There are also new guidelines for TSH testing, that many doctors are not aware of...

Major Reversal at American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists Regarding TSH Levels and Diagnosing Hypothyroidism / TSH level between 3.0 and 5.0 uU/ml ...should be considered suspect, Says AACE / Thyroid Disease Information Source - Articles/FA
Long and Pathetic List of Symptoms | Stop The Thyroid Madness

For years I was "subclinically thyroid" - I had the symptoms but the doctor couldn't determine what was wrong. Looking back at my test results, by the new guidelines my thyroid was hypo - but by the old guidelines I was fine.

My doctor finally put me on 50mcg Synthroid, and I've seen a total turnaround in my symptoms.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Those aren't new guidelines. The AACE articles in the first link no longer exist, and the first link even specifies that they date back to 2000, 2001, and 1997. They're not guidelines, nor are they new. It's a biased editorial based on other editorials, which were based on articles that are no longer in publication (outdated, obsolete).

Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times
Default by-pass surgery

I worked in the medical records department of a major metropolitian hospital for six years assembling emergency room medical record charts -- we hadn't gone totally electronic yet. Somewhere around ten percent of gastric by-pass patients came back to the ER because of complications. Some were complaining the surgery didn't work for them. It was enough to convince me that the surgery wasn't worth the risk of complications or the added risk of it being ineffective. Lapband procedure is marginally better in terms of complications but about the same in terms of risk for ineffectiveness. At least that is the conclusion I reached using inductive reasoning from what I saw on records.

I worked out at a 24 hour fitness where one of our members was a gastric by-pass victi---uh, patient, himself. He worked out constantly, said he watched his diet like a hawk--owned up to losing 50 pounds but could easily needed to lose another thirty or so.

I'm eighty pounds overweight, but walk, lift weights and stay in pretty good condition for an old, fat guy. The cholesterol is low, blood pressure under control, etc. I don't believe there is anything that would convince me to do gastric by-pass. I'll just haul my lard out of bed and keep walking and being as fit as I can for a heavy dude. Not everyone is going to be model thin or look like Matthew McConnawhatever. Do the things that help you feel better and be as healthy as you can be for your body type.

If you're trying to do things for image sake, then just go get the blubber sucked out of you every couple of years. It's not safe, but actually safer than by-pass surgery.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,066 times
Yeah we didn't want to do that over the lapband. We also paid out of pocket to avoid insurance. She has an iPhone app that she puts in everything she eats and it calculates all the nutritional intake. We eat a ton of fresh vegetables and beans.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Just because she's not hungry doesn't mean her fill is ok. How much can she eat at a sitting? That is how you determine if she needs an adjustment. The fact that she just needs to lose 50 lbs. is going to be harder and slower than someone that needs to lose 200 lbs.
A yorkie would out eat her. It's crazy because I went from 220 to 183 by not eating fast food in 3 months without working out and have stayed at that weight for over 2 years. Granted I've went up to 193 but I lift weights. I'm just trying to see if maybe there's something that we're overlooking that is causing her not to lose the weight.

Should she stop doing aerobics and do light weights?

I really don't need people questioning the lengths at which she went. She's tried every diet with no results before the lapband. When we first met 12 yrs ago she was 150lbs and that's what she wants to be at. We have no kids and she's not on birth control.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Your wife has to eat 1500 calories a day, every day. Not just some of the days, every day.

We know your wife's goal weight is 150..what was her starting weight?
Good question and like most women I know she wont let her husband know. I can only guess and say she started around 220. And probably around 200 now.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I understand the worry, believe me. For 9 years, doctors tested my thyroid, and when it came back normal every time, they told me I was stressed, needed Weight Watches (tried that, didn't work), etc. One gave me a week off work to see if I felt better. Just keep at it, exhaust the possibilities.

If your wife isn't already doing so, have her keep a detailed food diary, as someone else suggested. I find I stay on plan really well when I diary everything I eat. Also water intake.

I feel for her because it was to easy for me to drop the weight and I watch her and its a battle to just drop 1lb. She works her but off to the point of whezzing heavily during her workouts while eating like a 5 yr old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss