Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 PM

18 posts, read 16,547 times

Advertisements

I don't want to take supplements, but eat my nutrients, when I began as a vegan.

My biggest question is what foods to eat for:

Omega 3( ala,epa, dha)?

omega 6?

Protein?

and B-12?

I know I can google this, but, I was hoping someone with experience could tell me this vital information.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 01:10 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Omega-3: Most plants, good amounts in leafy greens, flaxseed, walnuts, etc. Plants only have ALA, but there is no known dietary need for EPA and DHA as the body can convert ALA into them.

Omega-6: Most plants, especially nuts, soy, etc.

Protein: Found in all plants.

B-12: You need to take a supplement for this, B-12 is the only supplement you'll need to take. The alternative is to eat dirt, drink dirty water, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
You will have to eat "complete proteins". Not all plants are complete proteins. If you are going to go vegan you have to do some research or its not going to give you all you need to thrive. Some people are enzyme deficient and can not live on vegan alone so be aware of how you feel and possible personal limitations.

For B-12 you can eat fortified foods to get your needs.

I think the easiest way is to eat mostly vegan and have fish and fortified foods on non-fish days. Fish also gives you your omegas if you chose the right ones. Seafood intake should be limited for everything though.

Its really best to do some research and get check ups regularly if you plan on going vegan.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I just got my 6 page print-out of my bloodwork from my physical - all was normal - completely normal. I take a B complex every day, I eat 3 to 4 ounches of wild salmon once a week and I take a daily high dose of very expensive fish oil, and I eat each week 2 cartons of plain greek yogurt - so I am 98% plant based diet but have made the modifications that my doctor suggested. I take calcium twice a day and 5,000 units of vitamin D per day and iron every day (I have Celiac disease and have absorption problems)....but it was really good to get those perfect results - this lets me know that for me, my diet is working. I eat few processed foods.

I eat beans of every kind, tofu, soy milk sometimes, fresh soy beans, nuts daily (walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds and pistachios), peanut butter daily, gluten free bread rarely, avocados, raw seeds (sesame, flax, sunflower, pumpkin, kashi (toasted buckwheat), a ton, and I do mean a ton of a huge variety of organic greens and veggies, sweet potato, oatmeal, chia seeds, hemp powder, citrus (1 grapefruit every day), berries, kiwi, pears, apples, nutritional yeast, bananas (limited because of sugar), flaxseed meal, almond milk, corn pasta rarely, legumes. This works for me...you might be different. I am rarely if ever hungry. I am just under 5'10", 62 years of age and weigh 133 lbs.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM

18 posts, read 16,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
You will have to eat "complete proteins". Not all plants are complete proteins. If you are going to go vegan you have to do some research or its not going to give you all you need to thrive. Some people are enzyme deficient and can not live on vegan alone so be aware of how you feel and possible personal limitations.

For B-12 you can eat fortified foods to get your needs.

I think the easiest way is to eat mostly vegan and have fish and fortified foods on non-fish days. Fish also gives you your omegas if you chose the right ones. Seafood intake should be limited for everything though.

Its really best to do some research and get check ups regularly if you plan on going vegan.
You said enzyme deficient? Thats interesting because I was at the doctors for a kidney stone, that passed already luckily, so no torture this time. However, I had one 5 years before. The Dr. said I may be enzyme deficient. Perhaps a connection here?

Complete proteins? what else then plants will give me the complete proteins? ..just looked it up, yep, I need to do research on this lol.

I guess cereal for B-12...

if I need to eat fish, so be it. Yeah, I will see.

thanks for your responses, I appreciate it.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
You will have to eat "complete proteins". Not all plants are complete proteins.
This is a myth, there is no need to eat "complete proteins". Before you give people advise on vegan diets I'd suggest you do some research.... Fish isn't vegan and there is no need to add fish to a vegan diet and there is little reason, except some rare genetic conditions, that some people can't be vegan.

Also, to the OP, don't get the impression that you have to go on a program of supplement hell like was described above. The only supplement you need to on a vegan diet is B12, everything else you can get from actual food. Though if it makes you feel more at ease, you can get a DHA supplement as well. You can find ones derived from algae. If you are interested in a vegan diet I'd recommend the book "Becoming Vegan", it will teach you everything you need to know without all the myths and nonsense.

Last edited by user_id; 05-17-2013 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 04:35 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This is a myth, there is no need to eat "complete proteins". Before you give people advise on vegan diets I'd suggest you do some research.... Fish isn't vegan and there is no need to add fish to a vegan diet and there is little reason, except some rare genetic conditions, that some people can't be vegan.

Also, to the OP, don't get the impression that you have to go on a program of supplement hell like was described above. The only supplement you need to on a vegan diet is B12, everything else you can get from actual food. Though if it makes you feel more at ease, you can get a DHA supplement as well. You can find ones derived from algae. If you are interested in a vegan diet I'd recommend the book "Becoming Vegan", it will teach you everything you need to know without all the myths and nonsense.

ok

Here is some that covers complete proteins and why you need them:

What's a Complete Protein? Inquiring Vegetarians Want to Know

What are Vegan Protein Combinations?

I never said fish was vegan. Its just a food option that makes eating mostly vegan easier.

And some calorie controlled recipes for the OP:
Vegan Meals Offering Complete Proteins Under 400 Calories

Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Omega-3: Most plants, good amounts in leafy greens, flaxseed, walnuts, etc. Plants only have ALA, but there is no known dietary need for EPA and DHA as the body can convert ALA into them.

Omega-6: Most plants, especially nuts, soy, etc.

Protein: Found in all plants.

B-12: You need to take a supplement for this, B-12 is the only supplement you'll need to take. The alternative is to eat dirt, drink dirty water, etc.
I think kelp/seaweed is a non-animal source of B-12.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Here is some that covers complete proteins and why you need them:
Yes, isn't it a wonder that you can confirm just about anything on the internet? But both of the sources you cited (fitsugar.com!?) failed to correctly define "complete protein" and neither of them claimed you need to consume them on a vegan diet. So, since you don't seem to know, here is the correct definition of a complete protein: A protein that has all 9 essential amino acids in the proportion for human needs. The italicized part is key and why what you're saying is wrong, you see, virtually all plants contain all 9 essential amino acids but not always in the right proportions. So many end up being incomplete, but not because they are missing an amino acid but instead because they don't have the right proportion. But since they all have different proportions, so long as you consume a reasonable mix of different types of plant foods you'll meet your protein needs even if none of the foods themselves are complete proteins.

Vegans do not need to seek out foods that contain complete proteins, that is a myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I think kelp/seaweed is a non-animal source of B-12.
These contain B12 analogs, that is, compounds that look a lot like b12 but aren't active in the human body.

The research on B12 is not definitive, for example its possible that we produce in in our guts, but for the time being its safest to take a b12 supplement if you're vegan. Unlike some other vitamins, there is no known harm from taking b12 supplements even in large amounts.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:22 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Are you male or female OP? If you are female, you'll want an iron supplement as well. Many women are deficient in iron (meat eaters or not) and it is especially hard to absorb if you are vegan. Cooking in cast iron an eating molasses are 2 great sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss