Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 AM

306 posts, read 452,706 times

Advertisements

I was very skinny when I was in my 20's. Then I started to gain a few pounds, and I was never serious about losing them. Then my daughter was born, and I never recovered from that (weight-wise ). Going back to school did not help, either. I went through a very stressful period until I completed my studies, and during that time I had almost no social life. All that "helped" me gain even more pounds, which I am now desperately trying to lose.

Some time ago, I started to exercise and went on a diet (starved myself) at the same time, for a month, and I lost weight quickly. However, I gave up because this regimen made me too hungry, and I could not bear it anymore, especially with all the studying that was very nerve-consuming .

This fall I will have a very relaxed schedule, and therefore I will have more time for myself. My priority would be to lose the excess weight, but only through a healthy lifestyle (no more exaggerations for me!). Would it be useful to go and talk to a nutritionist? And/or a personal trainer? I do not have too much money to spend on this, and I don't know if it's worth it anyway. Any success stories from somebody who tried it?

If not, then what would be the most efficient alternative? Join weight-watchers or something similar?

Thank you for any advice you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 11:00 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
I wholeheartedly suggest Weight Watchers. Find the meetings near you and go.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:12 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,496,244 times
WW will give you a plan that is carefully thought out and can be blended into most any lifestyle. As you have found, drastic cuts can backfire.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 PM

Thank you both for answering. I looked them up and they also have an online plan. Does that really work? I am more on the shy side, and joining a whole new group of people would be overwhelming for me.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia12 View Post
I was very skinny when I was in my 20's. Then I started to gain a few pounds, and I was never serious about losing them. Then my daughter was born, and I never recovered from that (weight-wise ). Going back to school did not help, either. I went through a very stressful period until I completed my studies, and during that time I had almost no social life. All that "helped" me gain even more pounds, which I am now desperately trying to lose.

Some time ago, I started to exercise and went on a diet (starved myself) at the same time, for a month, and I lost weight quickly. However, I gave up because this regimen made me too hungry, and I could not bear it anymore, especially with all the studying that was very nerve-consuming .

This fall I will have a very relaxed schedule, and therefore I will have more time for myself. My priority would be to lose the excess weight, but only through a healthy lifestyle (no more exaggerations for me!). Would it be useful to go and talk to a nutritionist? And/or a personal trainer? I do not have too much money to spend on this, and I don't know if it's worth it anyway. Any success stories from somebody who tried it?

If not, then what would be the most efficient alternative? Join weight-watchers or something similar?

Thank you for any advice you can give!
If you think "starving yourself" to lose weight was a good plan, you definitely need a nutritionist.

You child will benefit from all you learn too

Old 08-18-2013, 05:07 PM

20,971 posts, read 28,499,711 times
Join WW I am doing it.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 PM

loveMountains, I never said it was a good plan. Of course I knew very well it wasn't, it just was the easiest to follow at a time when I had other priorities. Now I want to do it right, and not only lose weight, but change my lifestyle.

That month I was mainly eating a few pieces of sushi per day, plus one or two apples or a few carrots (not a big fan of either). In the morning, I only had my coffee, with some milk instead of sugar. After exercising (Jazzercise, one hour per day), I also used to eat a banana. Somebody could say that this was enough, but I was hungry most of the day. I actually need to eat more than that...

Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,496,244 times
WW is not in any way a starvation diet. They blend all the needed food groups and have a number of points you need to reach each day. Following it and adding exercise or walking has enabled me to lose over 1 pound a week. I feel this is a safe and maintainable weight loss.

I eat things like greek yoghurt with fruit and granola each morning, salad or sandwich and extras for lunch and a protein and veggies for dinner. Snacks can be built in where you need them. We keep fruit and prepd veggies in the refrigerator or meals and snacks.

You get extra points to use where you want and it helps when eating out or at a friend's house.

I feel better and actually have been less hungry and emotional about hunger than in the past.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia12 View Post
Thank you both for answering. I looked them up and they also have an online plan. Does that really work? I am more on the shy side, and joining a whole new group of people would be overwhelming for me.
For me going to the meetings was key. Not so much for the actual meeting but for the weigh in. That was my weekly motivation. I tried just doing the online WW but for me I need to be accountable. Hopping on that scale and having someone else write down my weight was my kick in the rear. The meetings can be informative as well, especially if you are just starting out on the program. And remember this, everyone at those meetings are there for the exact same reasons you are so no need to be intimidated.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:54 PM

Thank you for the feedback, sweetanna and Luckyd. I guess I will visit them first, to ask for more info. If I like it, I will join the meetings, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss