Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times

Advertisements

After years and years of rebounding after weight loss (take off 25 and putting on 40) I finally had an epiphany on July 4th of this year. I walked in a 3 mile charity walk for our local volunteer fire department. I came back with the arthritis in my knees and back putting me flat on my back for 3 days. I never had a weight problem until I was around 40 when I blew out a knee. Things just spiraled from there. Both knees are badly arthritic and I have a bulging disc creating issues in my back. The girl that used to kayak, wind surf, scuba dive, has hiked the Australian Outback, walked to the waterfalls of Tahiti now couldn't even walk 3 miles on a level surface!

I researched Weight Loss Surgery and I'm checking into the hospital on Tuesday to have a vertical sleeve Gastrectomy performed. Radical? Yes some would consider it so. All I know is that I'm over 100 lbs above my ideal weight and am looking at being wheelchair bound if I don't take action NOW. Looking at the last 7 years of my weight history is eye-opening. Wish me luck. I am determined that I will be healthy and active again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
After years and years of rebounding after weight loss (take off 25 and putting on 40) I finally had an epiphany on July 4th of this year. I walked in a 3 mile charity walk for our local volunteer fire department. I came back with the arthritis in my knees and back putting me flat on my back for 3 days. I never had a weight problem until I was around 40 when I blew out a knee. Things just spiraled from there. Both knees are badly arthritic and I have a bulging disc creating issues in my back. The girl that used to kayak, wind surf, scuba dive, has hiked the Australian Outback, walked to the waterfalls of Tahiti now couldn't even walk 3 miles on a level surface!

I researched Weight Loss Surgery and I'm checking into the hospital on Tuesday to have a vertical sleeve Gastrectomy performed. Radical? Yes some would consider it so. All I know is that I'm over 100 lbs above my ideal weight and am looking at being wheelchair bound if I don't take action NOW. Looking at the last 7 years of my weight history is eye-opening. Wish me luck. I am determined that I will be healthy and active again!
Good luck, and hopes for a healthy recovery!

Just remember - surgery does not "cure the cause" of obesity. The surgery will hopefully give you a "do-over." Once you've lost the weight that the surgery provides you with the opportunity to lose, and once recovery is completed such that you can re-create your strength and stamina, you have to maintain. A year after surgery, you'll be "capable" of eating more than you were, right after surgery. And you'll probably need to eat more. But you'll have had that first year to learn, all over again, what is appropriate to eat, and what is not - and what is appropriate to *taste* rather than *eat.*

Take everything you learn in this coming year, with you through recovery, so you can walk and hike and kayak and surf and dive again!

Good luck again!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
I'm almost 19 months post RNY. I totally agree with Anon's post. Surgery is a chance for a "do over"', make the most of it. I'm all in on my new lifestyle, right down to attending support groups and private therapy to keep myself focused. It's not an easy road or a cure all, it's another tool in arsenal.

Best wishes! I'll save you a seat on the Losers Bench!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
I had the sleeve done just over a year ago. I've lost 107 lbs. Hope all went well for you

Old 09-25-2013, 03:33 AM

9 posts, read 11,443 times
I'm not into surgery because i'm afraid of syringe. And i do believe that losing weight is much better if it is done in a natural way.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:55 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hottieme View Post
I'm not into surgery because i'm afraid of syringe. And i do believe that losing weight is much better if it is done in a natural way.
Some people can't lose the natural way and keep it off. The yo yo diet crap is bad for your heart so if someone decides on surgery, loses weight and keeps it off then good for them.

I'm down 159 lbs total, 96 of those post sleeve surgery and I feel better then I ever have. I'm six months and four days post op as of today.

GERD = gone
Hypertension = gone
Sleep apnea = gone

It was less painful then I thought it might be and quite frankly one of the smartest things I have ever done.

My blood pressure is down from a resting normal of 150/90 to 122/79 today, at work, and stressed. My racing heart, palpitations, and arrhythmia are gone.

Is it easy? No. It's an adjunct to a sensible diet and exercise plan. I had to completely change the way I eat and relate to food but it was worth it. Every bit of pain, time and money spent was worth it. I look and feel great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss