Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 02:11 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,838,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Im sorry but Im curious how do you eat potatoes and loose weight ? I find that if I eat potatoes or bread or any kind of pasta the weight comes right back on even though I work out four days a week .
Because you are eating more calories. The potatoes and the pasta and bread are not making you gain weight. The excess calories you are consuming make you gain weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 02:19 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,184,524 times
After I reached a "certain age" and menopause I found that excess carbs made me feel sluggish and tired.

I've greatly reduced the amount of carbs and sugar in my diet over the last ten years. I still eat whole grains and cereal and potatoes etc but not very often. I also eat more protein (meat, fish, eggs) than I used to. Along with lots of vegetables and greens and fruit fairly often.

I credit this, at least in part, to the fact that I weigh at 55 what I weighed at 15 years old. Although my shape has changed somewhat LOL.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:26 PM

9,742 posts, read 14,300,385 times
My Once/Day Shake helped me shed 20 pounds, in 6 months. Not a lot, but a good way for my body since I'm 73 years old. I'm still in the workforce, and my work involves some stooping-climbing. The shake keeps me regular, is filling, my nails are no longer soft, my cholesterol and blood pressure have gone down, and climbing/stooping now a cinch!

1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple
1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1/2 banana
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
handful of frozen strawberries

....in a blender......

Old 12-01-2013, 03:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,120,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Im sorry but Im curious how do you eat potatoes and loose weight ? I find that if I eat potatoes or bread or any kind of pasta the weight comes right back on even though I work out four days a week .
Because I'm not eating french fries or topping them with butter, cheese or sour cream....instead I eat them with little added fat. For example, 2~3 chopped potatoes tossed in 1~2 teaspoons of olive oil and herbs or a large plain baked potato topped with chili.

Its difficult to over eat potatoes or whole grains, its how people prepare them or what they eat with them that is typically the issue.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:09 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,184,524 times
It's too bad this thread got moved to the "weight loss" forum. .

Some of us have zero need or interest in weight loss. We are thin, we are fine, we are not fat. We just want to continue to eat healthy and don't give a flying hoot about our weight. Why is this a difficult concept to understand?

Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,554,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
It's too bad this thread got moved to the "weight loss" forum. .

Some of us have zero need or interest in weight loss. We are thin, we are fine, we are not fat. We just want to continue to eat healthy and don't give a flying hoot about our weight. Why is this a difficult concept to understand?
True. Many people assume that if one has a healthy diet and/or works out that they must be trying to lose weight.

Last edited by Ameriscot; 12-02-2013 at 02:37 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 02:37 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,419,347 times
1. I juice fast for 10 days, twice per year.
2. I have oatmeal with raisins or apple slices for breakfast or lunch every day.
3. I drink at least 10 glasses of water per day.
4. Dinner is my lightest meal. Typically a bowl of fruit mix (like you can get at Whole Foods) or a bowl of steamed veggies or my own veggie juice.
5. I avoid processed foods, fast food. Limit to once per week.
6. I drink Choice twig tea as my main beverage.
7. I substitute a huge veggie juice that I make with my juicer for one meal each day.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:52 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,554,430 times
Quote:
After I reached a "certain age" and menopause I found that excess carbs made me feel sluggish and tired.

I've greatly reduced the amount of carbs and sugar in my diet over the last ten years. I still eat whole grains and cereal and potatoes etc but not very often. I also eat more protein (meat, fish, eggs) than I used to. Along with lots of vegetables and greens and fruit fairly often.

I credit this, at least in part, to the fact that I weigh at 55 what I weighed at 15 years old. Although my shape has changed somewhat LOL.
Yea, gravity gets us all.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 AM

9,742 posts, read 14,300,385 times
Quote:
It's too bad this thread got moved to the "weight loss" forum.

What concept?
Understand what?
Some of us post because we believe we have something to offer.
Tell Us About Your Good Health Diet is the topic.
Thank you for telling us about your good health diet, which was:
"I credit this, at least in part, to the fact that I weigh at 55 what I weighed at 15 years old. "

Old 12-02-2013, 08:43 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,433,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Describe the main things that you conscientiously do or have disciplined yourself to routinely do, regarding your diet, in order to improve or maintain good health?
I try to produce anything and everything I can for myself. This includes a veg garden - keeping fowl for eggs and meat - growing my own herbs - catching fish and wild rabbit - and so on and so forth. Anything I can grow myself or catch myself - I make sure I do.

I then also try to make everything myself that I can. I do not buy bread or cake for example. I make it. I do not buy dry pasta. I make it. Mayo - make it. Sauces - make them. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I find that the closer I get to self sufficiency the more flavorsome and healthy my diet also becomes in response.

Other than that my only personal dietry rule is variety. I try not to have any one thing more than once in a week. Or where possible even longer. I think too many dietry regimes focus too heavily on what we put in - or not - and in what quantites. I prefer just to keep it as varied as possible and let my body do the rest. It knows what it needs better than I.

So yea - variety and self sufficiency is my key. After that the rest sorts itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss