Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:27 AM

192 posts, read 250,390 times

Advertisements

DaniellaG, I'm not taking offense. Your questions are reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I am curious what a significant other thought of this

....if this is an obsessive way to live

I could not maintain my weight on this type of diet. I wonder how many calories you consume
I get 2500 calories a day. There are fruitarians with lot's of muscle: Dr Graham, Chris Califano, "Vegan strong", "Storm", Richard Blackman

I think obsessiveness is just a common trait. When I first started, I was obsessive - always on my mind. But that wasn't a negative. I didn't get too rigid for myself.

Socially? There's the Arnsteins. She gave him the 811 book. He went full-on fruit. She was resistant. He often pushed the diet on her and the kids (often in his videos together - see marnstein) But it didn't become a problem. Fast-forward 2 years... she's higher-fruit & vegan. Now SHE's making the videos (see Victoria Arnstein)

Last edited by Sacman; 12-16-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,448 times
For me, I don't think I would ever be able to do it. Eating most fruit hurts my stomach given problems I have had. I know feeding lots of fruit to a child results in diarrhea so it would have to be balanced. I think Vegan is more possible to ensure you can receive all nutrients and vitamins.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:56 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
For me, I don't think I would ever be able to do it. Eating most fruit hurts my stomach given problems I have had. I know feeding lots of fruit to a child results in diarrhea so it would have to be balanced. I think Vegan is more possible to ensure you can receive all nutrients and vitamins.
Even according to the Vegan Society, many vegans don't get enough vitamin b12, because there is no vitamin b12 in plants. It is only produced naturally in animals and micro-organisms. In order to get enough b12, vegans are encouraged to eat foods that have been fortified with the supplement - or to take the supplement separately. A vegan diet is not a *natural* diet for humans. Humans are not designed to thrive on a strict vegan diet. That is -why- many of them have to take supplements in order to maintain physical health. Humans are also not designed to be "fruitarians." That term is contrived and shoved on the public by people who profit from selling books, supplements, and juicers. Humans are designed to be omnivores. That's why they ARE omnivores. Humans are designed to thrive most efficiently when their foods combine to give them certain nutritional percentages. The most efficient method of consuming that particular combination of nutritional percentages, involves getting proteins from either mammal-flesh, dairy, fish, or fowl. Does this mean that there aren't some people who will be perfectly healthy refraining from this? Of course it doesn't mean that. But the human species, as a whole, is not *designed* to refrain. It is *designed* to thrive by consuming an omnivorous diet.

The more you stray from the omnivorous diet, the more you have to make both dietary AND lifestyle adjustments, and the more likely you are to need supplements.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:47 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
Quote:

I would be the same but I have to believe you train your body overtime to adjust to this type of diet with the digestion issue. I would even think being a vegan would take time for your stomach to adjust to.
I don't understand why fruitarians don't consume more veggies. Based on my opinion I feel very few people can be healthy not just physically but mentally on this fruitarian diet.
Sacman I am glad you did not take offense to my questions. I am in no place to judge as my diet in terms of junk food is not healthy. I do find the why behind peoples choice of diets interesting. I do agree that for a variety of reasons people are obsessive. That being said when one is restricted in diet it can make them to an extreme very obsessive and rigid. Where it impacts their relationships and daily life. That is why I asked you about relationships. This is even true for people who have a health problem that forces them to follow a specific diet.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
feeding lots of fruit to a child results in diarrhea
That's a normal reaction to a huge change to a natural diet. The cause is the old diet. All body functions will get better than before.

As for Anonchick - Can anything be done about trolls? Over the years, I've learned how to spot an Anti-vegetarian shill.

"many vegans don't get enough vitamin b12" - typical half-truth meant to deceive.
many PEOPLE don't get enough vitamin b12. Meat-eating people (even cats) are known to get b12 shots from a Dr.

Have I mentioned I didn't take sublingual B-12 for 17 years as a vegan. After that, I still didn't have a deficiency. The body can make b12; that's why it's in all animal products. ALL animals (including us) make b12.

Humans we're meant to be frugivores. That's why we thrive more than when we ate omni.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:43 PM

I'm not an anti-vegetarian shill, and resorting to namecalling doesn't help your case. Most omnivores who eat an omnivorous diet, do -not- have a vitamin B12 deficiency and don't need to ever take B12 shots or ingest B12 supplements.

The body does -not- produce B12; the natural form is only produced by bacteria. The synthethized form is, obviously, formed synthetically in a lab. Vegans who get enough B12, are doing so via supplement *or fortified foods* that have had B12 added to it. That is why I didn't say that most vegans don't get enough; because most vegans eat fortified foods. They cannot sustain themselves *healthily* without it (in other words - they can certainly continue eating that without sufficient B12, but it won't make them healthy).

You look unhealthy. You live an unhealthy lifestyle. This unhealthy lifestyle is working for you, it makes you happy. But you are presenting yourself as a proud representative of a vegan lifestyle. You are not. There -are- vegans who are healthy, and healthy-looking, and live healthy lifestyles. You are not among them, and I don't need to be an anti-vegetarian shill to make that comment.

Humans are omnivores. Many frugivores eat meat and non-vegan foods. The orangutan, which is a fruigivore, eats around 65% fruit. It also eats insects, leaves, and bird eggs. Humans are designed to be healthy on a variety of foods as well, including meat and poultry. The human species, however is not frugivorous. It is omnivorous.

And to remind you - both herbivores -and- omnivores can be frugivores. Omnivores can eat meat, and eggs, and dairy, and -still- be frugivores. Frugivore is a scientific classification, it is not a "lifestyle choice."

Fruitarian is -not- a scientific classification; it is a lifestyle choice of a limited number of human individuals who have chosen to reject their biological nutritional requirements in lieu of a fad diet.

Last edited by AnonChick; 12-20-2013 at 07:52 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 02:48 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,448 times
It's a fact that we can easily be omnivores. We are opportunists. If we don't have veggies we can kill, eat, and process meat. It's a lifestyle that exists because we NEEDED to live off of what nature provided us. A large animal can produce plenty of meat for a community.

Now, namecalling will get you nowhere. If you are happy, that's fine. I can't say if you are healthy or not. You seem a bit thin, but I can't really say that's dependent on your diet. To me, we have the luxury of being Vegans, Vegetarians, and Fruitarians. If we were out on our own, I doubt we would be able to find THAT much fruit to supply us. Chances are in order to survive with no supermarkets, we would need animals and veggies.

The reason you have more diarrhea is because of the crazy amount of sugar you would be introducing. People that eat plant based diets are hungry more often and the food processes much faster through your body. That would mean your stomach is much more likely to expel waste much faster.

I'm to the point where all this "Clean living" thing has become insanity to me. Don't eat this. Eat this. Oh no, don't eat that, eat this. This is poison. No this is. All in the pursuit to be super healthy. I want to be healthy but I don't want to spend my life trying to analyze every single thing I put in my body. I want to be able to drink some soda. Have a beer. Eat a candy bar. Have ice cream. I wouldn't be happy eating 6 bananas a day. I want something else!

But yet again, this diet works for some. I'm not sold on it being a valid lifestyle since it seems to lack a lot of nutrients. We don't know the destruction this could hold since we haven't seen studies on it yet. We know meat especially red meat is bad for you and should be enjoyed in very small amounts or not at all. I will stick with vegetarian and maybe convert to vegan down the road. We will see!

Old 12-21-2013, 05:12 PM

skilldeadly, your reasoning for not embracing a diet like this, is the same reasoning I wouldn't ever embrace a vegan diet. Vegetarian, sure - I'd miss bacon and beef but I don't eat a lot of it (bacon only rarely). I can be mostly satisfied with vegetarian fare as long as it included dairy and eggs. I'm a total cheese junkie

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE fresh fruit and vegetables. I go through around half a pound of raw snap peas in a week, I usually eat a dinner-sized salad for lunch at least every other day, summertime is fresh peaches from local orchards, autumn is fresh apples from local orchards, I have a berry tree in my yard that I collect berries from as a snack whenever I mow the lawn, there are wild berry bushes all over this area that you can pick freely. Wintertime is grapefruits from Florida and oranges from Spain. Bananas all year round. There's always fruit in the house.

But there's no need to limit what I eat, just to lose weight. There's only a need to limit -how much- I eat.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:33 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Probably more issues surrounding the saturated fat of being a "total cheese junkie" than around veganism.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
in order to survive with no supermarkets, we would need animals and veggies.
Most people are living away from their natural habitat(the tropics). That's why we all live in houses, have heaters, and eat meat.

Quote:
The reason you have more diarrhea is because of the crazy amount of sugar
I do not have diarrhea. That goes away in a few days. Sugar in fruit isn't crazy. It's natural. We run on it. Carbs are in every food.

Quote:
this "Clean living" thing has become insanity to me.
Insanity is eating whatever a factory creates without thinking.

btw "Shill" is not name-calling. It's a person putting on a fake front. Anonchick just gave a clue to her real motivation: "I'd miss bacon and beef"

Quote:
it seems to lack a lot of nutrients.
"Seems"? May? Guess. Likely. Some.
I see these words a lot. Not scientific. Fruit and veg has all "Essential" nutrients(we make the rest). The ones it seems low in are the ones set too high by the US gov: Iron, calcium, fat. And by coincidence, they're the one's that meat and dairy are high in.(see meat and dairy lobbyists). The food pyrimid is always changing because it's always been wrong(arbitrary, Not scientific)

Quote:
we haven't seen studies on it
I got your study right here
We'll never get real studies on this. Why? Studies take a lot of funding, and it's only worth it for business purposes(swaying the public). We don't need studies; we have real life:

Supporters of high-fruit/vegan diet:

Sir Arthur Keith
Paleontologist H.M. Ami
John Harvey Kellogg
InternationalOlympic committee

Bonoboes, fruit-bats and bees live on ONLY fruit. Jay the Juiceman is 95 (mostly fruitarian/ all vegan for 65 years

High-fruit societies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UhI0XL7uN4I

You can prove to yourself that this diet works by researching the people workin' it.

Last edited by Sacman; 12-22-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss