Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,429,929 times

Advertisements

Anyone here drink smoothies that they make at home?

I have been making one with berries, a banana, yogurt, flaxseed (ground), honey, and milk. Today I added some protein powder as well and sometimes I throw in some ice.

I also juice.

When I have the smoothie, it is usually my lunch. I may also have some almonds with it as well.

Wondering if anyone else makes them, and if so, what they put in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 AM

280 posts, read 423,162 times
I have not had good luck with smoothies. I would put in nonfat yogurt, fruit, carrots, etc. They tasted great but didn't fill me. If I ate those fruits whole they would fill me. Something about the liquid, I don't know. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
I have not had good luck with smoothies. I would put in nonfat yogurt, fruit, carrots, etc. They tasted great but didn't fill me. If I ate those fruits whole they would fill me. Something about the liquid, I don't know. Good luck!
They fill me just fine, I just want to try something different.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,247,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
Try unskimmed yoghurt or milk. Nonfat is a big fat unhealthy lie.

I don't make them too often but I like using broccoli and coliflower because they blend really well whereas carrots and celery didn't do so well for me.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,812,121 times
This is my go to smoothie. A big handful of spinach, a cup of frozen blueberries, a cup of frozen mango. One banana (usually frozen). I fill the blender about halfway and blend. The end consistency should be thick, when I add too much water it's thin and not even close to as good. The banana and mango make it creamy and sweet. It's really good and filling.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:23 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,846,097 times
I make them all the time. Usually an apple cut up, maybe an orange, carrot, frozen blueberries, ground flax seed, a drop of maple syrup, kale, coconut water, and maybe protein powder. Just depends.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:09 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,083,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Anyone here drink smoothies that they make at home?

I have been making one with berries, a banana, yogurt, flaxseed (ground), honey, and milk. Today I added some protein powder as well and sometimes I throw in some ice.

I also juice.

When I have the smoothie, it is usually my lunch. I may also have some almonds with it as well.

Wondering if anyone else makes them, and if so, what they put in them.
You are consuming a lot of sugar....all of the ingredients you are using except the flax seed have sugar....add some spinach or kale or chard or collars greens. Sweeten with some pure liquid stevia instead of honey. Use water and ice instead of milk. Add some protein powder if you want more protein. Use plain Greek yogurt ( 1/2 cup)...it has less sugar than regular yogurt. Use 1/2 of a banana (high glycemic fruit).

Of course you are loving your smoothies...you are having dessert!

Old 02-20-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You are consuming a lot of sugar....all of the ingredients you are using except the flax seed have sugar....add some spinach or kale or chard or collars greens. Sweeten with some pure liquid stevia instead of honey. Use water and ice instead of milk. Add some protein powder if you want more protein. Use plain Greek yogurt ( 1/2 cup)...it has less sugar than regular yogurt. Use 1/2 of a banana (high glycemic fruit).

Of course you are loving your smoothies...you are having dessert!
I actually am using greek yogurt and the honey is less than a teaspoon. Sometimes I do use ice. I only put a small bit of milk and yesterday I actually added protein powder. The berries and banana are good for me...

Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,714,558 times
I buy bags of organic frozen beeries from Costco and use them for smoothies. I blend in water, vegan protein powder, and sometimes a few walnuts for a quick and easy lunch.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I buy bags of organic frozen beeries from Costco and use them for smoothies. I blend in water, vegan protein powder, and sometimes a few walnuts for a quick and easy lunch.
That sounds good. I do the same thing as far as the berries goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss