Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:25 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times

Advertisements

I found weight loss to be a bit of a positive feedback loop.

For example, the more weight I lost, the easier it got to hike. I never realized how out of shape I was and how much that fat was dragging me down until I started losing weight. And it just gets better and better, the more I lose.

When you reduce your portion size, your stomach shrinks over time and you simply cannot cram the same amount of food in there that you used to. I am at almost a year of straight calorie and portion control and recently I went to a buffet. I used to be able to eat up to four plates. I could barely finish one and felt like I was going to explode.

I recently went shopping and could fit into a size 10. This is down from a size 20/22. It was a massive ego boost.

I don't restrict any foods per se only the amounts, assuming they fit in my calorie goals for the day. I think it is what really keeps me from going off the deep end. I went to McDonalds today myself. Got a grilled chicken sandwich w/no mayo, small fry, and a diet dr.pepper for 530 calories. You could also pull the same thing off with a cheeseburger instead of the chicken. McDonald's isn't forbidden, you just have to have a plan and make the right choices and stick to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 12:39 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I found weight loss to be a bit of a positive feedback loop.

For example, the more weight I lost, the easier it got to hike. I never realized how out of shape I was and how much that fat was dragging me down until I started losing weight. And it just gets better and better, the more I lose.

When you reduce your portion size, your stomach shrinks over time and you simply cannot cram the same amount of food in there that you used to. I am at almost a year of straight calorie and portion control and recently I went to a buffet. I used to be able to eat up to four plates. I could barely finish one and felt like I was going to explode.

I recently went shopping and could fit into a size 10. This is down from a size 20/22. It was a massive ego boost.

I don't restrict any foods per se only the amounts, assuming they fit in my calorie goals for the day. I think it is what really keeps me from going off the deep end. I went to McDonalds today myself. Got a grilled chicken sandwich w/no mayo, small fry, and a diet dr.pepper for 530 calories. You could also pull the same thing off with a cheeseburger instead of the chicken. McDonald's isn't forbidden, you just have to have a plan and make the right choices and stick to them.
Everyone who's overweight needs to read this. This is the real deal right here. Portion control and building momentum/positive feedback loop.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:11 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
As I've gotten older my motivation for working out and eating healthy have become health reasons

Don't get me wrong, I love everything potatoes and every cupcake/cookie/brownie related, but I love myself more.

So I choose to eat clean M-F (although I'll admit I usually eat clean on Sundays as well), and on Saturdays I give into whichever craving I have.

And if I do fall off the bandwagon and binge eat I don't beat myself up over it. I accept it and move on. It's happened and there's nothing I can do to change it.

But I don't want to live my life with diseases or ailments brought on by my own negligence. Of course DNA and genetics don't always care about how healthy you eat or how much you exercise, because they don't discriminate.

But I won't intentionally set myself up to live unhealthily.

My dad's parents both died from heart disease and he has type II diabetes, so those are my biggest motivators.

I just keep pushing. I view it as me being selfish, and I don't mind being selfish.

Don't best yourself up or get mad. But know when it's ok to treat yourself! For me though I treat myself on Saturdays so I'm even more motivated to eat well and exercise during the week.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I went to McDonalds today myself. Got a grilled chicken sandwich w/no mayo, small fry, and a diet dr.pepper for 530 calories. You could also pull the same thing off with a cheeseburger instead of the chicken. McDonald's isn't forbidden, you just have to have a plan and make the right choices and stick to them.
One the very rare occasion I hit McDs I get the $5 daily special, switch out the fries for a salad and have a bottled water instead of the soda. The salad I keep for another meal later on!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:58 AM

88 posts, read 192,290 times
If you had decided to lose your weight and for that, if you left your favorite foods, then you don't have to need any motivational things for not to giving up, because you had already sacrificed your so called favorite foodies, which only shows how serious you are about your weight loss.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 AM

283 posts, read 385,698 times
Weight loss is momentum based. As I found it easier to get off the couch, I thought about the other benefits: lower life insurance premiums, food bill costs less because I eat less, lower medical bills, etc.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:39 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
What keeps me motivated?? I have smaller sized clothes, got rid of the bigger sized ones. I keep a picture of myself from 2010 before I lost 50 lbs. That helps remind me not to get back to that weight again. I see young women like myself who are severely obese that have trouble walking without getting out of breath and I think to myself I don't want to be that person. I am not at goal yet but I look and feel better. I went from a 2X to a large. I 'd like to loose another 25 lbs.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
I read online where someone made chart for themselves and gave themselves star stickers if they worked out that day.
Today on the way home my mom wanted to stop by mcdonalds for a big mac for dinner and she offered me one and i told her no. As I pulled out on the drive thru mcdonalds and smelled those friggin fries i was so tempted to turn around but i kept going and decided to have green tea once i got home. I had a snack before we left so i wont get tempted and plus i had to take my adderall which i am back on it now. I have a long way to goal but have mini goals.
i have been out of work for 9 months and gained 14 pounds back. I was so mad at myself that i couldn't get a mcdonalds. I already had my calories for today and i feel so much better.
Every time you are tempted just tell yourself, "I don't need to eat those McDonald's fries today. They will be there for me tomorrow." McDonald's isn't going out of business any time soon. You can have a Big Mac whenever you want, but you don't need to have one now. When tomorrow comes and you are tempted, repeat to yourself "I don't need to eat those McDonald's fries today. They will be there for me tomorrow." Repeat: McDonald's isn't going out of business any time soon.

Using this delay tactic is how your will power gets stronger, and soon you won't miss those fries at all. Keep watching Morgan Spurlock's video of the non-decomposing McD's fries for extra motivation.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:55 PM

32 posts, read 112,014 times
I know its quite difficult to avoid some delicious junk food but when it comes to your weight and a healthy lifestyle it becomes important to avoid that all kind of foods which is not good for your health. I prefer to doing regular exercise, I prefer to drink lemon water with honey every morning and eat salad if I feel hungry in between meal time.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
What has kept me motivated this go-round is the success I've seen in one month after deciding to buckle down and count calories and keep within a budget. I'm now fitting into the jeans that have been hanging on my closet door for 6 months. Just by being diligent and watching what I eat, I now reap the rewards of feeling better and looking better, and I will only continue to look and feel better as I lose more and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss