Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,588,373 times

Advertisements

I find I am always hungry at work and lose energy - Having my thyroid checked soon.
With that said what are some easy, filling, and healthy snacks to eat at work.
I am seen by the public so it should be something easy to pick up and put down.
I do not think an apple will fit in this circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Have your iron checked too.
Nuts are great snacks, just watch the portion. Plain greek yogurt and add some fruit. Banana's. Apples are great snacks, but if you can add a little peanut butter to apple slices all the better.
Think protein for a snack. Stay away from simple carbs.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:40 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
I buy Justin's PB packets (80 cal ea) and will eat with a banana.

Or 0% fat greek yogurt and a little tupperware bowl that I keep mixed berries in.

Hummus and carrot chips or hummus and pretzels.

Apples or pears. You can also eat apple+PB.

Cottage cheese and fruit.

String cheese and an apple.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I like those pretzels with peanut butter inside. Sam's has their own brand of them, and HEB also makes some. A serving is 10 pretzels. I buy the bigger container and portion it out into bags.

Yoplait 100 calorie greek yogurts are also a good snack...the apple pie flavor is especially delicious.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:12 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I find I am always hungry at work and lose energy - Having my thyroid checked soon.
With that said what are some easy, filling, and healthy snacks to eat at work.
I am seen by the public so it should be something easy to pick up and put down.
I do not think an apple will fit in this circumstance.
Snacks aren't really supposed to be "filling". Snacks that "fill you up" will almost always lead to a "filling out of the waistline" or "Inability to lose weight". Since this IS the "Diet and Weight Loss" forum, here are some healthy easy snack options:

Trader Joes unsalted raw trail mix
Cottage cheese
Raw broccoli
CarbMaster yogurt (Ralphs usually sells 10 for $5.00; or is it 5 for $10.00?)
Raw almonds
Boiled sweet potato
Celery dipped in almond butter
1/2 almond butter and jelly sandwich (eat other half for snack later in afternoon)

Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,588,373 times
Thank you everybody!

Old 08-13-2014, 01:50 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
I buy Justin's PB packets (80 cal ea) and will eat with a banana.

Or 0% fat greek yogurt and a little tupperware bowl that I keep mixed berries in.

Hummus and carrot chips or hummus and pretzels.

Apples or pears. You can also eat apple+PB.

Cottage cheese and fruit.

String cheese and an apple.
All these. ^^^

OP, slice the apple and put it in a baggie or container. You can pull a slice out and eat it and not have to worry about trying to speed eat the entire apple before your next client or customer. Clementines (cuties...whatever you want to call them...small, seedless oranges) are portable too.

Raw veggies are good too. I slice them all up when I buy them to save on the prep time in the mornings. Then I just toss them in a container when I pack my lunch.

Nuts are good too.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 AM

8 posts, read 9,737 times
In that situation I usually go for a healthy bar style snack (Kind Bars are a personal favorite) for a quick pick me up.

I used to try to bring a box of them to stash in my desk, but my company just recently put in these new health food vending machines [URL]http://www.healthyvending.com/[/URL] so it's been much easier to snack healthier at work.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:01 AM

283 posts, read 385,698 times
Full fat yogurt. Have some nuts (walnuts preferably for Omega-3 content but others are good also) vanilla extract, cinnamon, and stevia/truvia/maple syrup/honey at your desk and mix in a little fruit. Watch the sweetener portion. You will feel full and energized and the cinnamon will reduce the sugar spike a bit. Fage 2% PLAIN is the closest I can get to full fat at most stores but it works also. STAY AWAY FROM LOWFAT YOGURT unless it is plain and has no other ingredients than active cultures.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:53 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
Full fat yogurt. Have some nuts (walnuts preferably for Omega-3 content but others are good also) vanilla extract, cinnamon, and stevia/truvia/maple syrup/honey at your desk and mix in a little fruit. Watch the sweetener portion. You will feel full and energized and the cinnamon will reduce the sugar spike a bit. Fage 2% PLAIN is the closest I can get to full fat at most stores but it works also. STAY AWAY FROM LOWFAT YOGURT unless it is plain and has no other ingredients than active cultures.

You can make yogurt at home to get full fat yogurt...I make mine with whole milk and I add powdered milk for extra protein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss