Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
dietary cholesterol impacts blood cholesterol and some people are more sensitive than others.....despite what some diet gurus think there is a reason why a daily maximum on dietary cholesterol has been set. And, as mentioned, one egg yolk is 60~80% of the daily maximum.

Saturated fat is not healthier than vegetable oils and solvent extraction has no impact on the healthfulness of the oil, but if one is bothered by solvent extraction they can use extra virgin oil olive or expeller pressed oils. Better yet, people should eat nuts, seeds, avocados, etc for fat instead of oils or butter.

Eggs contain very little omega-3, only 30~40 mg, and you're exaggerating the nutritional quality of egg yolks. One large egg yolk contains just 5% of your daily vitamin d, a, just 2% of your vitamin e and almost no vitamin k. On the other hand, the same about of calories in kale (50 calories), contains 300% of your vitamin a, 200% of your vitamin c, 1000% of your vitamin k, 14% of your daily calcium, 180 mg of omega-3, etc.

There is no reason to eat egg yolks for their nutritional value, the same nutrients are far more adamant in other foods that don't contain all the cholesterol and saturated fat.

If a vegetarian wants to eat a whole egg here and there, that isn't going to be a big deal, but eating them as a routine source of protein isn't a good idea. Vegetarians should rely on legumes, whole grains, nuts, seeds and dairy for protein.
wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 10:06 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
wrong
Nice response....but everything I stated was accurate. Sorry that your diet gurus don't agree.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:41 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Nice response....but everything I stated was accurate. Sorry that your diet gurus don't agree.
A large amount of people on this forum disagree with you user_id, leave it alone now.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:10 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
So instead of a slice of toast and butter, make it a slice of toast with peanutbutter...
... and a teaspoon of sugar.
And make that whole grain bread. But cut out the sugar - all sugar. Sugar saps your energy. So does refined carbs. When I cut out all sugar I found I had more energy!

Avocado is a great meal and is recommended for weight loss because it is very low in sugar and fairly high in unsaturated fats which satiates the appetite. The unsaturated fats are high in omega 3 and 6 which is a good brain food. My mental acuity improved markedly with omega 3 oils.

Cashews (raw and unsalted) are a great meal, full of nutritional benefits and in the right proportions. They make a good brain food and are claimed (by researchers) to have the same effect as prozac! I tested that claim and found it to be true.

Don't boil or overcook vegetables. One can look up on the 'net the effects of cooking veggies.

Don't boil potatoes - bake them at a low temperature. Don't peel them but that requires not buying washed and exposed ones. Agria potatoes are better if they are available.

Use brown rice instead of white (same as for wheat).

Bananas are quite nutritious too. They are high in sugar (I find them too sweet sometimes) but so are most other fruits (except avocado). We evolved on fruits and things so that should be fine.

All the best!
303Guy

P.S. I speak as an 'older' person with zero cholesterol issues, zero blood pressure issues and zero health issues.

Last edited by 303Guy; 10-12-2014 at 01:29 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
A large amount of people on this forum disagree with you user_id, leave it alone now.
Some people, in particular those following low-carbohydrate or paleo diet gurus, disagree with me....but so what? All I've done here is cite nutritional facts and current science.....sorry if that upsets you.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armt View Post
Hello,

Little bit about myself. I am a new mom of a three months old baby girl. I already have 7 year old. I work from home and try to cook multiple meals which is consuming my whole day. With the newborn, I am not getting enough sleep as I am nursing her. She gets up 4 times during night and I am a zombie at 6.30am , thats when I have to be up in order to put my son in school.

So, I have been doing some research around and all I am seeing is do NOT eat this and that. Could anyone tell me what to eat? I want to nurse my baby atleast for 3 more months. I am a vegetarian (can eat eggs), so it puts a lot of challenges when hunting for good food.

I am 5- 8 and currently weigh 180 pounds. Can someone please tell me easy to cook vegetarian recipes along with the exercise? I do not an extreme diet/exercise at this time.

P.S- I get very very tired by end of the day (IDK why) just by doing house chores, running behind 2 kids and handling a job.

Thank you !
If you are nursing you should not be on a strict vegitarian diet. Also, you say you have a 7 year old, but in another thread you posted that you have an 8 year old. Congrats on being lucky enough to work from home with a baby. That is a huge plus, and you are super lucky to have found a work from home job just a mere few weeks after you posted that you were looking for a work from home job.

My suggestion is to speak with your doctor to see what he/she recommends for a nursing mom's diet. Im sure veggie is not the way to go either for you, your 8-7 year old growing child, baby or your husband. What does your husband/baby father like to eat? Is he also a vegetarian?

Old 10-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Everything you stated was NOT ACCURATE.

Dietary cholesterol provided ... [Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

This study was not done by my personal diet gurus but by the NIH.

The summary paragraph states:

"We need to acknowledge that diverse healthy populations experience no risk in developing coronary heart disease by increasing their intake of cholesterol but, in contrast, they may have multiple beneficial effects by the inclusion of eggs in their regular diet."

Old 10-12-2014, 10:20 AM

This one: The impact of egg limitations on coronary hea... [J Am Coll Nutr. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

states that you are "right" in stating "On average, the LDL:HDL ratio change per 100 mg/day change in dietary cholesterol is from 2.60 to 2.61..." However it goes on to say: "...which would be predicted to have little effect on heart disease risk."

This one: Dietary cholesterol and atherosclerosis. [Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

states: "Analysis of the available epidemiological and clinical data indicates that for the general population, dietary cholesterol makes no significant contribution to atherosclerosis and risk of cardiovascular disease."

Old 10-12-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Everything you stated was NOT ACCURATE.
Of course it is, I cited information on the daily recommended intake of cholesterol which is something you can find on every nutritional label in the country. Every major health organization recommends minimizing your intake of cholesterol. But you don't believe what the world's health organizations say is true, and that's your right, but I'm not going to adjust what I say to appease some conspiracy theories.

Quote:
This study was not done by my personal diet gurus but by the NIH.

"We need to acknowledge that diverse healthy populations experience no risk in developing coronary heart disease by increasing their intake of cholesterol but, in contrast, they may have multiple beneficial effects by the inclusion of eggs in their regular diet."
No, but it was funded by the American Egg Board. If you looked with an open mind you'd find numerous studies supporting a link between dietary cholesterol and disease but, as I mentioned, some people are more sensitive than others so the effects aren't the same for everyone (a fact that even mentioned in the study you cited). There is a reason why a daily recommended maximum has been set and the consumption of just 1 and 1/2 medium eggs exceed that maximum. So, as I said, eating whole eggs occasionally is fine but eating them routinely is not. Legumes, whole grains, nuts, seeds and dairy should be the primarily source of protein for vegetarians. Nothing controversial about that statement, you'll find it echoed in any nutrition book on vegetarian diets.

Also I went over the nutrients in eggs, as I showed, the same nutrients can be found far more abundantly in other foods that are cholesterol free so there is no benefit to routine egg consumption.

Last edited by user_id; 10-12-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
This one: The impact of egg limitations on coronary hea... [J Am Coll Nutr. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

states that you are "right" in stating "On average, the LDL:HDL ratio change per 100 mg/day change in dietary cholesterol is from 2.60 to 2.61..." However it goes on to say: "...which would be predicted to have little effect on heart disease risk."

This one: Dietary cholesterol and atherosclerosis. [Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

states: "Analysis of the available epidemiological and clinical data indicates that for the general population, dietary cholesterol makes no significant contribution to atherosclerosis and risk of cardiovascular disease."
You're pretending I've said things I haven't, I didn't say anything about heart disease and instead I cited the daily recommended maximum. Worries about heart disease aren't the only reason why a daily maximum has been set, for example high egg consumption has been linked to type 2 diabetes:

Egg Consumption and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Men and Women

But its been known for awhile that the fats you eat (i.e., high saturated fat and trans fat intake) has a much larger impact on your cholesterol than dietary cholesterol. But there are a significant number of people that respond poorly to dietary cholesterol....these people aren't able to clear cholesterol from body as effectively as others. So this is a case where you need to adjust your diet according to your lab results.

In any case, occasional egg consumption seems to be safe but 4 eggs a day is well beyond the levels known to be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss