Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:43 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

I hate exercise. Period. No exceptions. And I've gained 40 pounds in the last 5 years since I hit 52 and retired. No surprise there. And I admit I let it go too far.

So now I have cut down on my calories and wine and am watching what and how I eat. But I KNOW I will HAVE to exercise to get rid of this weight. Aesthetically, the weight below my chin, on my hips and around my waist is what bothers me most (but the extra 40 pounds is pretty evenly distributed).

What would be the best type of exercise for me to do that will produce a quick enough result to keep me motivated? I am willing to join a gym or group classes of some sort, but cannot afford to hire a personal trainer. Motivation is the most important part - I know myself well enough to admit that no quick results will end up a failure (which has happened before with low impact aerobics 2X a week for 45 minutes, 3X a week at the gym on machines, balls, etc., walking every day.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 11:15 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
First I would look at what activities you do enjoy and try to incorporate that into your workout.

Find classes you enjoy, cycling, Zumba, or yoga. Get a workout partner if you can to hold each other accountable. Incorporate weight training into your routine, don't rely solely on cardio.

I have found many if my friends enjoy running, started off with a short race, 5k and built up slowly to marathon running.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:35 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I hate exercising, too. But, I do attend a total body workout class at the fitness center 2x a week. I cant stay the whole hour but force myself to hang in there 45 min. I also walk the dog daily. I gained almost 30 lbs over the past 2 years since I broke my ankle and have finally recovered from the long process of surgery, physical therapy and rehab of both legs.

I have found the app MyfitnessPal really helpful for keeping me on track with my food intake and aware of everything I eat. I have logged in now for 72 days and it has become a habit. Actually enjoy logging my food to see if my mental tabulations of what I am eating actually match the results. I have lost 12 lbs in 72 days and only began the gym workouts 3 weeks ago. I hate it but have another 15 lbs to go, so I will hang in there.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:57 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
Stop thinking about exercise. You have never done it. Why think about it. It is all a math game anyway. Learn to count calories. Your body requires a specific number of calories daily. Find that number and consume 10% less. Simple. Easy to do.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:54 PM

32 posts, read 112,000 times
An active lifestyle is more important than ever when you grow older. Regular exercise can help boost energy and manage symptoms of illness or pain. Exercise can even reverse some of the symptoms of aging. And not only is exercise good for your body, it’s also good for your mind.
If you think there is no point to exercise when to get older then you are not right,exercise and strength training helps you look and feel younger and stay active longer. Regular physical activity lowers your risk for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer’s and dementia, heart disease, diabetes, colon cancer, high blood pressure, and obesity.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:08 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
You can definitely lose weight without exercising just by cutting/counting calories - but exercise is good for us and allows us to eat a bit more - not that much more really. I am not sure anyone really loves to exercise on a regular basis - but they love the way it makes them feel and look. It really is your choice - exercise on a daily basis and eat less calories than you burn or really restrict your calories and don't exercise - either choice will lead to weight loss. By continually declaring that you hate exercise, you are letting negative-think rule your decisions about exercise - change your attitude. Exercise is good because of many health reasons and certain exercises tone the muscles....mentally, exercise is pretty fabulous.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:32 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Walking. You have to walk to get to places anyway. Just park further away, take the stairs, walk to the grocery store if you only need a few things. Walk around the block.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:19 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I hear you I hate exercise too!
Daily walking is good and easy. I used to have a dog that made me do it. Its been downhill since then but I find even without the dog its the easiest thing to make myself do.

Some churches and other places in my area have very inexpensive zumba classes. They can be hard to find out about unless you know someone or see the sign while whizzing by. Seeing if you like it (you can try different ones) is much cheaper than joining a gym. I have not enjoyed my gym experiences at all.

You tube has a zillion exercise video's.
I found one by Darren S for beginners that is....10 minutes? Simple, gets your heart rate up. I think you are supposed to do it twice in a row but I think doing it once a couple times a day is just as good. If you can get You Tube up on your tv with a ROKU or something that opens up a lot of things including yoga.

Don't know of any exercise that will provide quick enough results to keep you doing it. Unless you find say....a biggest loser challenge or something? Some people do those among work or friends. Quickest results is dieting supplemented by some exercise.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:11 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Exercise is non negotiable if you plan on living a healthy life. It is good for EVERY SINGLE aspect of your body and mind. It is integral part of eating healthy to lose weight. Get over yourself and find an exercise you can do. Or you can start saving your money now for all the medical bills you will have and nursing home you will eventual end up in.
Also no such thing as quick & healthy weight loss. What is the hurry? Eat right, eat the right amount, exercise as much as you are able to and don't give up. The weight will come off, and the beauty of it is it will stay off, as long as you stick with the exercise.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,220 times
Walking and gardening are also light exercise that are useful for health. Playing badminton, cricket, hockey, and rugby is also good for health. Exercising keeps us fit and fine. Cardio are very useful for potent heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss