Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:58 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times

Advertisements

I know someone who is looking into gastric bypass, and seriously considering getting it done. They are an amputee (leg) and weigh around the same as me. I am 5'1 and 170 lbs. I have lost 15 lbs. in the past 3 months. I think they could do the same by doing what I'm doing which is simply counting calories. I barely exercise, though I know it would speed things up.

This person could not walk as exercise and does have leg/foot issues with the one working leg. Not sure if they're related to the weight. If the surgery is being done based on the fact that they are an amputee and the ongoing issues that come with that and age, great.

But what I wonder is why can't they just lose weight the way I am doing it? Why resort to surgery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 01:11 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Geez - that is not even morbidly overweight. I am 5'2" and weighed in at 164 at the doctor's office this morning. This was with all my clothes on, so probably 160.

Main reason I went in was to get my thyroid meds again. I was slacking off and even though I exercise, I was gaining. Has she/he had a checkup?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:12 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
It's a personal choice. Some are better at losing weight than others. And keeping it off is much harder than losing it. And you have the option of exercise and full mobility. This other individual does not. Plus the more this other person weighs the harder it is for him/her to do simple everyday things. Then add age into the equation. Everything gets more difficult as we age.

I think it's smart for this individual to consider surgery.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Even if this person you know did not move they are still burning calories. Well unless they completly stopped moving and are not no longer sucking in air. For those that are still alive they are still burning calories. I think a 205 pound person that does not exercise will burn 1,900 + calories a day. The best way to lose weight is to cut what you are taking in. Gastric bypass forces you to do that. Still, that does not change people and I have seen people lose the weight and then get fat again.

What I have done is change how and what I eat. Today I had a plate of raw spinage with small tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, sliced onion, and some walnuts sprinkled on top. I had my normal water bottle with me, and I had some grilled chicken on the side. Yesterday I had a similar lunch without the chicken. I have done this over the years and it makes me feel better when I eat like this. My body works better. I have done this and then started eating other things over the years putting on the weight here and there. Still, this is the third time I have slimmed down in a 15 year period. I know it works for me. The last time I went from 226 down to 163. This time I am only 189 and have less weight to get to my target weight. This time I want to go to 150.

Forget about the exercise. Just focus on eating less.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:50 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Gastric bypass should never be taken lightly. A dear friend had bypass but it was really her doctors decision. She needed it or she would have died. She was HUGE. Originally, I met and hired her as my personal assistant when I was at a Fortune 100 Financial Services company. People made jokes about how we would need the American Chopper guys to come in and fabricate special steel reinforced chairs for her and stuff, but I didnt care because she was the best for the job. After seeking advice/recommendations from a few doctors (never ever go on advice of just one) she decided to proceed with the surgery.

She dropped a ton of weight and became super pretty. Thing is, she kinda regretted the experience because what most people dont know is that after the surgery you HAVE to have a specific diet, of specific foods and you can only eat so much. Had she just went on that diet without the surgery, she would not have needed surgery at all because she would have lost weight, gotten healthier, established better eating habits, started working out and saved thousands of dollars.

For anyone considering gastric bypass they should really get several professional opinions because its a total life changing experience.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Yeah, I fear that this person will get the surgery, and not be able to stick to the guidelines of eating that comes with it. Basically, if they could stick with that type of guideline, they could lose weight without the surgery.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:25 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Yeah, I fear that this person will get the surgery, and not be able to stick to the guidelines of eating that comes with it. Basically, if they could stick with that type of guideline, they could lose weight without the surgery.
For sure. Its a HUGE shock for people who have gone their entire lives eating whatever they wanted whenever they wanted, and looked at food as a source of comfort and happiness to all of a sudden now have to eat teeny tiny amounts of things they probably avoided altogether before, and take lots of vitamin supplements (that are never easy on your liver/kidneys). Its one of the reasons why there is such an increased risk of suicide in patients after having the surgery.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...ype=blogs&_r=0

Heightened suicide risk after weight-loss surgery | Reuters

Health Risks Remain After Gastric Bypass Surgery - ABC News

This is one of the reasons why I always always always always tell people who consider this is to NOT do it. Instead, try for at least one year to dedicate themselves to an intense workout plan and nutritional intake.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:40 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
You have to stick to the guidelines. The surgery makes you.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
You have to stick to the guidelines. The surgery makes you.
How does it make you? You mean because otherwise you'll get sick? Why have I heard that people who have had surgery have ended up going back to their old ways?

Old 10-29-2014, 03:25 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
How does it make you? You mean because otherwise you'll get sick? Why have I heard that people who have had surgery have ended up going back to their old ways?
Yes you will absolutely get sick. Somehow those individuals are able to stretch out their pouch over time and eat more and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss