Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 04:02 PM

17 posts, read 20,338 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Little bit about myself. I am a new mom of a three months old baby girl. I already have 7 year old. I work from home and try to cook multiple meals which is consuming my whole day. With the newborn, I am not getting enough sleep as I am nursing her. She gets up 4 times during night and I am a zombie at 6.30am , thats when I have to be up in order to put my son in school.

So, I have been doing some research around and all I am seeing is do NOT eat this and that. Could anyone tell me what to eat? I want to nurse my baby atleast for 3 more months. I am a vegetarian (can eat eggs), so it puts a lot of challenges when hunting for good food.

I am 5- 8 and currently weigh 180 pounds. Can someone please tell me easy to cook vegetarian recipes along with the exercise? I do not an extreme diet/exercise at this time.

P.S- I get very very tired by end of the day (IDK why) just by doing house chores, running behind 2 kids and handling a job.

Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 04:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armt View Post
Hello,

Little bit about myself. I am a new mom of a three months old baby girl. I already have 7 year old. I work from home and try to cook multiple meals which is consuming my whole day. With the newborn, I am not getting enough sleep as I am nursing her. She gets up 4 times during night and I am a zombie at 6.30am , thats when I have to be up in order to put my son in school.

So, I have been doing some research around and all I am seeing is do NOT eat this and that. Could anyone tell me what to eat? I want to nurse my baby atleast for 3 more months. I am a vegetarian (can eat eggs), so it puts a lot of challenges when hunting for good food.

I am 5- 8 and currently weigh 180 pounds. Can someone please tell me easy to cook vegetarian recipes along with the exercise? I do not an extreme diet/exercise at this time.

P.S- I get very very tired by end of the day (IDK why) just by doing house chores, running behind 2 kids and handling a job.

Thank you !
Fresh fruits, beans, legumes, lentils, eggplant, dairy, eggs. Your baby is literally sucking the nutrition from you - so you need to keep it replenished. Eat plenty, but make sure it's nutritionally dense. So instead of a slice of toast and butter, make it a slice of toast with peanutbutter. Instead of an iceberg lettuce and red cabbage salad with bottled italian dressing and croutons, try a baby greens salad with grape tomatoes, calamata olives, a teaspoon of chopped red onion, feta cheese, and tahini dressing that you make yourself with half as much garlic as the recipe calls for. Rather than a grande double-skinny chai mochacchino latte supra-blahblah with a twist, have a cup of half-coffee, half hot cocoa, made with whole or 2% milk and real unsweetened dutch-process cocoa and a teaspoon of sugar.

An omelet can be amazing, and healthy, if you use one whole egg, plus the white of a second egg. Or if you like 3-egg-omelets omit one yolk out of the three. Jam that omelet up with sauteed mushrooms, a smidge of minced shallot, maybe a little chopped sweet pepper, a palmful of grated cheddar cheese, and cracked black pepper. Serve it with half a banana or a small apple on the side.

Make your calories count, because you're feeding your baby with them in addition to yourself.

You could try getting in touch with LaLeche, they'll have some resources for you (plus they're a resource of their own, if you don't mind the prostheletizing).

Someone else here might offer advice on which spices to avoid if you're breastfeeding - I'm pretty sure you're supposed to go easy on the garlic but other than that I'm clueless on the subject.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:29 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you !
Wow you have a lot on your plate. Go with Anon's food recommendations. They are spot on. Stay away from simple carbs - in other words sugar. With your schedule you will do much better with a steady blood sugar level instead of bouncing all over the place when eating breads, crackers, chips, pasta's. Whole grains are best. Brown & wild rice, quinoa, Steel cut oats for oatmeal.
As for exercise I would recommend doing stuff at home when you have a chance. Videos are great to get yourself going. You can go at your own pace and build up stamina.
When I was trying to lose the baby weight and did not have time for much exercise I put in the good old Jane Fonda Step Aerobics videos. After 3 months I lost 17lbs and looked great!

Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Wow you have a lot on your plate. Go with Anon's food recommendations. They are spot on. Stay away from simple carbs - in other words sugar. With your schedule you will do much better with a steady blood sugar level instead of bouncing all over the place when eating breads, crackers, chips, pasta's. Whole grains are best. Brown & wild rice, quinoa, Steel cut oats for oatmeal.
As for exercise I would recommend doing stuff at home when you have a chance. Videos are great to get yourself going. You can go at your own pace and build up stamina.
When I was trying to lose the baby weight and did not have time for much exercise I put in the good old Jane Fonda Step Aerobics videos. After 3 months I lost 17lbs and looked great!
Thank you for reading and suggesting! I am eating just plain oatmeal (protien). Is that ok? Or the steel cut oatmeal is better and will make a difference ?

Old 10-07-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Fresh fruits, beans, legumes, lentils, eggplant, dairy, eggs. Your baby is literally sucking the nutrition from you - so you need to keep it replenished. Eat plenty, but make sure it's nutritionally dense. So instead of a slice of toast and butter, make it a slice of toast with peanutbutter. Instead of an iceberg lettuce and red cabbage salad with bottled italian dressing and croutons, try a baby greens salad with grape tomatoes, calamata olives, a teaspoon of chopped red onion, feta cheese, and tahini dressing that you make yourself with half as much garlic as the recipe calls for. Rather than a grande double-skinny chai mochacchino latte supra-blahblah with a twist, have a cup of half-coffee, half hot cocoa, made with whole or 2% milk and real unsweetened dutch-process cocoa and a teaspoon of sugar.

An omelet can be amazing, and healthy, if you use one whole egg, plus the white of a second egg. Or if you like 3-egg-omelets omit one yolk out of the three. Jam that omelet up with sauteed mushrooms, a smidge of minced shallot, maybe a little chopped sweet pepper, a palmful of grated cheddar cheese, and cracked black pepper. Serve it with half a banana or a small apple on the side.

Make your calories count, because you're feeding your baby with them in addition to yourself.

You could try getting in touch with LaLeche, they'll have some resources for you (plus they're a resource of their own, if you don't mind the prostheletizing).

Someone else here might offer advice on which spices to avoid if you're breastfeeding - I'm pretty sure you're supposed to go easy on the garlic but other than that I'm clueless on the subject.
Thank you! That is very helpful. Do not know @ LeLeChe, will find out.

Do you know if I consume eggs (4-5) a day for my protein needs, that would be Ok?

Old 10-07-2014, 08:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Thank you for reading and suggesting! I am eating just plain oatmeal (protien). Is that ok? Or the steel cut oatmeal is better and will make a difference ?
Oatmeal is a poor food stuff, not much protein there at all.

I also would not recommend going vegetarian as the other poster has suggested. You will want to stay away from hormone/mucus forming foods, in other words avoid cow dairy if you can. Eat quality meats, veggies, fruits, NUTS, and complex carbs. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Thank you! That is very helpful. Do not know @ LeLeChe, will find out.

Do you know if I consume eggs (4-5) a day for my protein needs, that would be Ok?
If you're already consuming that much, then just eliminate 2 of the yolks. You still want -some- of the fat, do you don't need to go 100% eggwhites. But 5 yolks is sort of overkill and it means less fat that you'd be wanting in other meals, which can be a bummer

If you're not already consuming that much, start with 2 whole eggs and 1 eggwhite. If you prefer boiled eggs, you could have 2 whole hard-boiled eggs, and make an egg-yolk scramble with a few strawberries on the side for a snack when the kids are napping. See how you're feeling after a few days of that. If you're still feeling tired all the time, add another eggwhite to the daily routine.

Oh it's important to get enough iron too! I definitely remember that from when I coached a friend during her son's birth (that was with the Bradley Method btw). So spinach and other dark green veggies, raisins, peanutbutter. Red meat is one of the highest sources of iron in food but since you're a vegetarian you'll need to eat more of the veggie stuff than you would otherwise.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

I also would not recommend going vegetarian as the other poster has suggested. You will want to stay away from hormone/mucus forming foods, in other words avoid cow dairy if you can. Eat quality meats, veggies, fruits, NUTS, and complex carbs. Good luck.
Oatmeal is an excellent food even if you are a low carb person. Nothing wrong with dairy either. She is a vegetarian, why are you suggesting meat to her?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

I do not want to be a meat eater, do not want to argue here and start a whole different topic.
Anyways, I eat Quaker's Protein Oatmeal- I believe it is a new product on the stand.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I do not want to be a meat eater, do not want to argue here and start a whole different topic.
Anyways, I eat Quaker's Protein Oatmeal- I believe it is a new product on the stand.

Thanks
Just go with good old fashioned rolled oats. Quaker brand is fine - in the tube box. Not instant. Do not get fooled into new products - they often have added crap that you do not need. Steel cut oats are great but they take a bit longer to cook.
Remember, simple is the best. The less ingredients a packaged food has the better. Rolled oats should just be rolled oats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss