Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:17 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YonqueD View Post
I have been overweight for many years and it wasn't until I developed the proper mindset that I was able to lose weight. What works for me (and I am not saying it works for everyone), is to understand that food is the enemy. I have lost almost 40 pounds in the last three months and I promise you that it's all a thought process and has nothing to do with exercise or counting calories (although becoming more active DID help me lose my weight faster). Until you get your head right, until YOU become the master, nothing is going to work. You must understand that you are in control, not your hunger. Hunger is just a trick to fool you into giving in to the enemy.
I agree that it's mindset. For you, the mantra is food is the enemy. For me, I ask the question: "Is this something I eat when I'm not hungry?" I cut nearly all the things out of my diet where the answer was "Yes" (potato chips, candy, cake, bread). Down 7 lbs so far and am still enjoying food. I'm just taking pleasure in the meals now, instead of all the extra mindless snacking I used to do.

I agree, though, whatever works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I've been working out for 3 months now and have only lost 4 pounds. I had a doc appointment yesterday and my doctor said my problem is not the exercise but what I'm eating and that I need to count calories in order to lose weight.

I need to lose about 30 lbs. Every time I think about counting calories, I get overwhelmed. Basically, I don't know how to start/how to do it. I cook. I made chili today with ground turkey, canned tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic, canned kidney beans and a ton of spices....how do I count the calories in that?
1. Listen to your doctor. He is correct about your needing to count calories.
2. Go to SparkPeople dot com and set up an account. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it then becomes very easy. After you get started, if you eat the same thing for breakfast every day (for example), it will calculate it automatically for you.
3. On SparkPeople you can figure the calories on recipes such as the chili you made and divide it by the number of servings. Then you can save the recipe and the info for the next time you make it.
4. You don't have to count calories forever, but plan on doing it for 6 or 8 weeks.
5. Remember that most things which are worthwhile are also difficult and require a great deal of effort.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YonqueD View Post
I have been overweight for many years and it wasn't until I developed the proper mindset that I was able to lose weight. What works for me (and I am not saying it works for everyone), is to understand that food is the enemy. I have lost almost 40 pounds in the last three months and I promise you that it's all a thought process and has nothing to do with exercise or counting calories (although becoming more active DID help me lose my weight faster). Until you get your head right, until YOU become the master, nothing is going to work. You must understand that you are in control, not your hunger. Hunger is just a trick to fool you into giving in to the enemy.
Food is not your enemy. This is the mindset of anorexics and bulimics. Food is imperative for our bodies, without it we die. Learning what our bodies need for optimum nutrition and understanding portion control, as well as learning self control is the way to stay healthy and trim. Food is not our enemy....dangerous thinking.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I've been working out for 3 months now and have only lost 4 pounds. I had a doc appointment yesterday and my doctor said my problem is not the exercise but what I'm eating and that I need to count calories in order to lose weight.

I need to lose about 30 lbs. Every time I think about counting calories, I get overwhelmed. Basically, I don't know how to start/how to do it. I cook. I made chili today with ground turkey, canned tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic, canned kidney beans and a ton of spices....how do I count the calories in that?
The way I lost 35 pounds over a 7 month period was eliminating these foods and drinks from my diet: white bread, pasta, all fast foods (except fast fresh foods), white rice, sodas, alcohol (I don't drink anyway) and reduced sweets like ice cream, cake, and candy. If you do this, then it would be easier to lose weight and count calories by purchasing a exercise tracker like Fitbit.

One way to possibly lose weight safely is to increased your veggies especially green veggies eaten, and try to eat any high carbs earlier in the day. Try to eat a higher protein dinner reducing carbs after 6 pm.

Losing weight is counting calories, and it's trial and error. If you try something and it's working, keep doing it. If you aren't seeing any results, then adjust as you go. For some of us, and I fall into this category, not only do I have know how many calories I am eating a day, but I have to exercise 7 days a week to keep my weight off .

Here's a hypothetical. A man who is 6 feet tall burns about 2,000 calories a day without exercising. But if he's eating 3-5000 calories a day (and just a combo at McDonald's can be as high as 2000 calories alone), and 1 pound of fat equals 3500 calories, then by the end of the week just by doing the math, he would add in unburned calories about 7-15000 calories. If 1 pound of fat is approximately 3500 calories to burn, and by doing the math he could have easily gained weight by not exercising to burn off those calories.

Back in 2010 I became a diabetic after exploding to a 220 pound weight, and I am only a 5'7'' man. I lost 50 pounds and like you didn't know how to keep the weight off. I gained about 40 pounds back because I wasn't exercising enough and I wasn't staying with in my caloric intake to keep the weight off. Now, 7 days a week I exercise by walking at least 10,000 steps a day, doing total body strength training using 30 pound dumbbells three times a week, and by using my Fitbit to track my steps and calories eaten a day.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:25 AM

88 posts, read 192,258 times
Yes, counting calories is must if you want to lose weight, because our body reflect it if we get more calory than our body needs. You should eat less calories or try to lose more calorie through workouts.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:33 AM

88 posts, read 192,258 times
Following a diet plan or counting calories strictly is very important while loosing weight. If you are unable to do this an smartphone app can help you on counting your and following your diet plan.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:21 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
"Counting calories is too hard!" = I'm OK with staying overweight and probably dying young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss