Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 11:59 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,714,114 times

Advertisements

Why do I have to work so hard to be NORMAL weight (not skinny but normal) when most people I know are so careless about what they eat and never worked out a day in their life. They can't walk & can't lift anything and hate fruit and vegetable yet they never get fat. And here I am, I gain weight just by breathing air.

I am starving always, I have to curve time out for workout & even after super workout, I manage to be average at best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
You are you and your metablism is yours not theirs. All of their terrible eating habits will catch up to them when they get older.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:11 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Why do I have to work so hard to be NORMAL weight (not skinny but normal) when most people I know are so careless about what they eat and never worked out a day in their life. They can't walk & can't lift anything and hate fruit and vegetable yet they never get fat. And here I am, I gain weight just by breathing air.

I am starving always, I have to curve time out for workout & even after super workout, I manage to be average at best
Do you keep a food/nutrient diary as in myfitnesspal.com? Works wonders

Old 02-12-2015, 12:12 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,556,581 times
I'm assuming you're just venting - and you're right - it sucks that things aren't fair.

But, unfortunately, that's the truth of the matter. There's almost nothing "fair" in life.

Its great that you're carving out time to work out and you eat health -- and really - there's nothing unattractive about average.

Focus on you (that's all you really can focus on anyway) and don't worry how "easy" others have it ... first of all, they may have hidden issues they deal with in some other aspect of their life that you're unaware of, secondly - you can't control it anyway and you don't want to live your life in resentment/jealousy of others.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You are you and your metabolism is yours not theirs.
All of their terrible eating habits will catch up to them when they get older.
And they will also burn in hell.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:25 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,345 times
You are probably making the mistake of confusing working hard to be the equivalent of working smart

Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,458,610 times
Make sure you are also eating enough. When I am eating more nutritious food, I feel full sooner. Some days, I could pass the day easily on 800 calories. I don't because that will absolutely come back to bite me and slow my metabolism down even more.

It's really easy to under-eat on a low carb diet. I've been replacing two meals a day with green smoothies and making sure to add nuts, seeds, coconut oil, and/or avocado to make sure I'm getting enough calories a day. If you are working out, you need even more.

But yes, I agree. My metabolism is screwed thanks to chemo and PCOS. As I try to lose weight for my brother's wedding so I'm only the big bridesmaid, no the huge one, I watch my size 2 future sister in law inhale pizza, chicken parm, and other hearty meals that her Italian family prepares knowing she only started working out for the wedding. Meanwhile, if I look at a piece of pizza too hard, it goes right to my hips. :P

Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post

I used to be 30 pounds heavier and thought the same way as you- why did I have to work 10x harder than others to be a reasonable weight? After losing the weight by HONESTLY tracking what I ate (I used the app/website My Fitness Pal) I realized I could easily be a "normal" weight too if I were willing to put in the work. I did just that, have kept off the weight for 4 years and counting, and now hear snide remarks from people (heavier than me) who didn't know me when I was 30 lbs. heavier about how "easy" I have it, how I can "eat anything", etc. What they don't know is if they see me eat a big catered lunch at work, I am eating light that night at home for dinner. They don't know that while I could still eat more at one sitting, I don't just because I know that I don't need to. What they don't see are the 2 strength training sessions I do a week at a local studio, the daily brisk walking.

Most other people I know who are a healthy weight for their size work at it. I am in my 30s and staying slim hasn't come naturally to me or my friends in a good number of years. Most people do have to put work into staying a healthy weight, especially as we get older. Don't minimize the struggle of others just because it is hard for you. Realize that it is hard for most of us, even those of us you assume never work out or watch what we eat. How the hell do you know what people do on their own time?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:30 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
I used to work for an employer Wellness Program. They ASSUMED that if one member in a household was overweight that ALL members in that household must be overweight. Health Coaches worked on a menu with the employee. Umm, my husband was 250 lbs. and I am 100 lbs. I need to lose weight because HE does? My cooking is to blame? Obviously, not for me.

He went on a diet OUTSIDE of dinners and has lost 20 lbs. We eat the same dinners. What do I do? I eat food in between that is NOT dietic. I actually HIDE things I eat from him.

This is EXTREMELY difficult for me. Planning his dietic meals and at same time trying NOT to lose weight myself. Over decades I have found I get very sick if my weight goes below 100 lbs. Trying to strike a balance between his weight loss and maintaining my own, is not easy. I suppose GENES plays a large factor in this, as much as science does not want to admit. I come from a family heritage of small, skinny people.

I wonder how many other couples are in this situation? Would be interesting to know, and what they do about it.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:20 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,965 times
Jo48: my husband is much taller than me (though thin) and therefore requires more calories. I lost weight, and have maintained it for years, all the while not making dinner time a big event in our house. The food being served is generally healthy: lots of vegetables, some meat, maybe some starch like rice or grain or potato. Sure we eat a big ol' cheese laden calorie bomb once in a while but that is the exception, not the rule. It all comes down to portion sizes: eat as much as you need to sustain your body. He eats more, I eat less. No drama, and everyone is happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss