Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times

Advertisements

The poundage results sound great Newporttom. But in your previous post on this page, you said you're eating ham and mcnuggets to stave off hunger pangs - be very careful about the sodium intake. If you're still eating a lot of sodium-rich foods, try substituting one of those snacks with a ripe juicy peach. Yes, it's carbs and sugar. Yes, you're substituting one potentially "unhealthy" thing for another potentially "unhealthy" thing. But the switch is also adding vitamin C and water (peaches have lots of water in them when they're ripe), and fiber. Or you could even switch one salt-rich snack with a big chunk of ripe watermelon.

I also personally recommend raw snap peas to snack on when you just need to feed the habit but aren't actually hungry. They're low in calories, high in nutrition. You could eat 15 whole snap peas (including the pods, which are edible and chock full of nutrition), and tide you over til your next meal time, and they're delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:08 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,667,923 times
Update, as of the 31st I am down a total of 63.6 pounds. My loss for this 2 week period was 6.6 pounds. Again, my goal for next 2 weeks will be 5 pounds.

Hit doctors office yesterday for blood work review from blood work drawn on the 9th. Previous bloodwork was done at start of diet (not by design). My doc is a blood testing fool, we seriously get scores and scores of readings on everything you can possibly imagine. And all my readings were improved across the board. He was very happy.

AnonChick...... Sorry, but I think I'll stick with what I'm doing

Old 03-31-2015, 10:13 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
I wouldn't necessarily advise anyone to follow what I'm doing. Some people are sugar addicts... I'm a starch addict.... pizza, chips... OMG!

But I know those fuel the hunger pangs. So I'm basically eating ham and periodically some nuggets and McChickens with no buns. It has really cut down on my hunger, so I'm not eating too much.

Enough carbs to keep me not light-headed but not enough to turn on the cravings. I think it's been saving me money too because of all the snacks I'm not buying.
It's good to hear you are doing well. I'd assume you are throwing in fresh salads as well. Adding avocado improves salads a lot, I find.

All the best in your efforts!

Old 04-01-2015, 01:30 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'd assume you are throwing in fresh salads as well.
Why would you assume that? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious. It sounds like he's laid his diet out here pretty thoroughly, and it doesn't exactly sound like salads are a part of it.

OP: Congrats on the weight loss. It's good that your doctor is checking your blood work like that. Starting at almost 400 pounds, weight loss is by far the most important goal.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:00 PM

Just a little follow up. As of last Friday I'm retired. Stopped by office to say Hi and pick up last check (I was contracted employee). As were shooting the bull in lieu of actual work (it was a Friday afternoon after all), one of the ladies finally says........

"By the way, it looks like you've lost of lot of weight........".

Finally !!!

Old 04-05-2015, 07:32 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newporttom View Post
just a little follow up. As of last friday i'm retired. Stopped by office to say hi and pick up last check (i was contracted employee). As were shooting the bull in lieu of actual work (it was a friday afternoon after all), one of the ladies finally says........

"by the way, it looks like you've lost of lot of weight........".

Finally !!!
❗❗🌠🌟🌠 💥💥💫💫✴✴✴🆒

c e l e b r a t e!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2015, 09:36 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Just a little follow up. As of last Friday I'm retired. Stopped by office to say Hi and pick up last check (I was contracted employee). As were shooting the bull in lieu of actual work (it was a Friday afternoon after all), one of the ladies finally says........

"By the way, it looks like you've lost of lot of weight........".

Finally !!!
Woo hoo! Congratulations on the weight loss and the retirement.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:27 AM

Mid-Month follow up. Lost 3.2 pounds this 2 week stretch. Been a little tired of ham lately, so mostly this is attributable to just eating less in general. When I do lunch it's still usually 3 McChickens minus the buns. Total loss 66.8 lbs now.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:48 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
You're on a fast track to a heart attack, Jack. Here's the skinny on that bunless McChicken (three of them, in a single meal):

Calories 630 Sodium 1680 mg (enough to give a heart patient a stroke by eating all this in one meal)
Total Fat 42 g (378 calories = more than 50% fat, for today's lunch)
Saturated 9 g (enough sat fat to choke a horse) Total Carbs 36 g (so much for a low-carb diet)

Old 04-17-2015, 03:35 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're on a fast track to a heart attack, Jack. Here's the skinny on that bunless McChicken (three of them, in a single meal):

Calories 630 Sodium 1680 mg (enough to give a heart patient a stroke by eating all this in one meal)
Total Fat 42 g (378 calories = more than 50% fat, for today's lunch)
Saturated 9 g (enough sat fat to choke a horse) Total Carbs 36 g (so much for a low-carb diet)
Why rain on his (her) parade? My guess is that it is an improvement over what he had previously been eating, and any step in the right direction is better than none. Right now he just needs to do what is effective for him and is comfortable enough that he doesn't go back to the old ways. Would you rather he eat your peach or pea pods (which I think taste nasty, by the way) for a couple of days and be so unsatisfied by it that he starts to binge on whatever he gets his hands on? For some people, the most important part of dieting is learning that they can make conscious decisions about what goes in their mouth.

I will never understand why some people insist that their way is the only right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss