Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 02:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

Once again: Fiber IS essential for healthy digestion. Fiber is found in plants that have carbs. When you eliminate all carbs, you eliminate fiber. When you eliminate fiber, you eliminate good nutrition and healthy digestion.

If you really want to go that route Momma_bear by nitpicking and stating that carbs are not "essential for human survival" I'll tell you flat out: FOOD is not essential for human survival. There is no reason anyone "needs" to chew or swallow a single bite or spoonful of food, ever. Just stick a pump into your stomach and pump in the nutrients. Many gastric disfunction patients manage to survive without eating, ever again.

Of course, if you want to live a *reasonably content* life, and prefer to actually eat food, then some of that food will need to contain fiber. That means carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 04:04 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
But virtually no one who does low-carb eats NO carbs. Most eat lots of leafy greens and other low-carb vegetables, as well as the lower sugar fruits, usually berries. We don't need fiber specifically from grains.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
But virtually no one who does low-carb eats NO carbs. Most eat lots of leafy greens and other low-carb vegetables, as well as the lower sugar fruits, usually berries. We don't need fiber specifically from grains.
Exactly. All those foods DO contain carbs. And you do need to eat something other than protein and fat, or you will become malnourished. They might not have a lot of carbs in them, but they do, in fact, contain carbs. That's the problem with absolute statements like "humans don't need carbs" - they're usually absolutely untrue

Old 05-02-2015, 09:59 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,666,585 times
Unfortunately I have to post bad results for the last 2 weeks of April. Gained 2.8 pounds. I retired March 31st, and started scheduling things I put off for too long, and they all fell in the last 2 weeks of the month. MRI, Colonoscopy and a trip out of town. So I got out of my routine. Still down 64.2 pounds.

I'll get back on the routine and report good results.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Exactly. All those foods DO contain carbs. And you do need to eat something other than protein and fat, or you will become malnourished. They might not have a lot of carbs in them, but they do, in fact, contain carbs. That's the problem with absolute statements like "humans don't need carbs" - they're usually absolutely untrue
But it's the micronutrients you need, not the carbs themselves, because your body can convert protein to sugar (gluconeogenesis) in the liver. Some of us are unfortunately pretty efficient at that.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Unfortunately I have to post bad results for the last 2 weeks of April. Gained 2.8 pounds. I retired March 31st, and started scheduling things I put off for too long, and they all fell in the last 2 weeks of the month. MRI, Colonoscopy and a trip out of town. So I got out of my routine. Still down 64.2 pounds.

You're doing great! Things are certainly going to come up that put a bobble in your dietary planning - a colonoscopy is most definitely one of those things. I've had a ton of medical and other issues that put me off my regular low-carb plan for several months, myself. As a result, I gained about ten pounds. Now that I'm back on track, that's starting to go; I've lost 4.4 pounds this week.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Most people on low carb eating plans (myself included) do eat some carbs. If a person is on a low carb plan chances are that they do eat a lot of veggies. However, that does not change the fact that carbs are not essential nutrients. Just because people eat them that does not elevate them to essential.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:13 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post

Don't let 2.8 turn into 5.8. You can get back on track. We know you will.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
But it's the micronutrients you need, not the carbs themselves, because your body can convert protein to sugar (gluconeogenesis) in the liver. Some of us are unfortunately pretty efficient at that.
You also need the fiber. Fiber isn't a micronutrient. It's a digestive necessity for humans. In order to eat *zero* carbs, you have to end up suffering from a lack of fiber. You can't even substitute metamucil as a fiber supplement, because one serving has 5 carbs. There is no way around it. In order to get enough fiber in your diet for your digestive system to function healthily, you have to consume foods that contain carbs.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Most people on low carb eating plans (myself included) do eat some carbs. If a person is on a low carb plan chances are that they do eat a lot of veggies. However, that does not change the fact that carbs are not essential nutrients. Just because people eat them that does not elevate them to essential.
I never said it did. You keep arguing with me that carbs are not essential nutrients, and I keep NOT saying that they are. I don't know why you keep picking out my posts to argue against something I never said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss