Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:43 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times

Advertisements

3 weeks now I decided to cut out Animal products I do eat some occasionally (in the form of Cookies etc) at Friends and Family but I've realised the general response is ''Why'' as in just eat crap food once in a while at least.

How can it be weird to eat so you can be the best you can be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 11:56 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Can you please rephrase? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:27 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
According to one study I saw, something like only 2% of we Americans eat a truly healthy diet -- no soft drinks, no junk or processed foods.

So you're rare in your quest for a healthy way of eating.

Why not be subtle about your eating habits? Just don't announce it. Drink water instead of high sugar drinks. Eat whole foods. If no one knows how you're eating, you'll get no criticism.

I recentlyu had some folks over for dinner and served a vegetarain meal without announcing the fact...everyone enyoyed my bean enchiladas with lots of interesting toppings to try--and no one seemed to miss the animal prodcuts. The home-made cherry pie seemed to help...

It's not weird to eat healthy foods -- just sadly unusual. Lead by example. Good for you!!

Old 04-21-2015, 02:11 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
It's kind of like becoming Christian, accepting Jesus into your heart. The world will think you're nuts. Because the world is going to do what it is going to do. The same with not eating junk and taking control over your diet. They're going to think it is so foreign that they just don't even want to understand.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:16 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
3 weeks now I decided to cut out Animal products I do eat some occasionally (in the form of Cookies etc) at Friends and Family but I've realised the general response is ''Why'' as in just eat crap food once in a while at least.

Well, if you suddenly became vegan people are probably reacting to that more than to you trying to be healthy. Veganism is in a category all its own, in my experience. Not everyone feels it is healthy, for one thing.

I don't think eating healthy is taboo at all. The less you talk about it the less anyone notices it. I tend to eat pretty healthy and no one ever says anything about it.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:28 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
In the US, it is slowly making a comeback. The rate of obesity is just over-the-top. Also, "clean eating", basically eating like we did in the 50s and 60s is making a comeback. Eating fresh and raw is also coming along. I am shocked that even in the smaller grocery stores, we have organic selections in produce, almond milks, soy milks, lots of nuts and seeds, etc.

We tried eating mostly raw and it really makes a difference in energy level and weight control. So much of the processed foods are loaded with corn syrup, salt and nasty stuff I can't spell or pronounce.

So, I don't think eating healthy is taboo and I predict we'll see more and more emphasis on healthy eating.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:33 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Can you please rephrase? I have no idea what you are talking about.
You may need to improve your reading skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
According to one study I saw, something like only 2% of we Americans eat a truly healthy diet -- no soft drinks, no junk or processed foods.

So you're rare in your quest for a healthy way of eating.

Why not be subtle about your eating habits? Just don't announce it. Drink water instead of high sugar drinks. Eat whole foods. If no one knows how you're eating, you'll get no criticism.

I recentlyu had some folks over for dinner and served a vegetarain meal without announcing the fact...everyone enyoyed my bean enchiladas with lots of interesting toppings to try--and no one seemed to miss the animal prodcuts. The home-made cherry pie seemed to help...

It's not weird to eat healthy foods -- just sadly unusual. Lead by example. Good for you!!
I don't push my eating habits in peoples face but I had to say to close friends and family about my change in attitudes towards food. People offer me food when I go to visit them so I tell them before hand about my diet change.

Being subtle is not saying anything at all and I won't be able to handle them constantly asking me if I want a Ham, Cheese and Mayo sandwich with extra fat! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
It's kind of like becoming Christian, accepting Jesus into your heart. The world will think you're nuts. Because the world is going to do what it is going to do. The same with not eating junk and taking control over your diet. They're going to think it is so foreign that they just don't even want to understand.
Exactly that's what I think like I told a close friend ''Don't shouldn't really eat that Carrot Cake'' then she just forced it down my mouth practically I was perfectly happy eating the Fruits. (I secretly enjoyed the carrot cake )

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Well, if you suddenly became vegan people are probably reacting to that more than to you trying to be healthy. Veganism is in a category all its own, in my experience. Not everyone feels it is healthy, for one thing.

I don't think eating healthy is taboo at all. The less you talk about it the less anyone notices it. I tend to eat pretty healthy and no one ever says anything about it.
I haven't actually mentioned the word Vegan I should said I'm no longer eating Animal products anymore and I said the health reasons why.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:

For LuckyD609 and anyone else who finds the OP indecipherable: After some scrutinizing and deciphering, I've come up with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonchick deciphering P London
Three weeks AGO, I decided to cut out animal products (period). I do eat some occasionally, in the form of cookies, etc., at friends and family (gatherings). However, I've noticed the general response to my preference for non-animal fare is "Why?" - which I interpret as "eat crap food once in awhile."

How can it be weird to want to eat in a way that most efficiently benefits personal health?

Just took a few verbs, some punctuation, changing non-proper nouns back to their lower-case origins, and a few word replacements, to make it readable. I'm guessing this person's first language isn't English; maybe other languages capitalize informal nouns and omit punctuation. The "Friends and Family" part was tricky - I thought maybe it was a restaurant he visits and the healthy foods he wants wasn't on the menu or something.

To answer the question:
It's not weird to eat in a way that most efficiently benefits your personal health. However, it's considered rude to prostheletize about it. When you justify your choices by extolling their virtues, you are basically telling everyone else that THEIR choices are inferior to yours. That is insulting to your hosts, so don't do it. A simple "no thank you" is all that's needed when friends or family offer you ham and cheese. If you're hungry, a "no thank you, but those crudites look so fresh and delicious, I'll grab a plate of the raw carrots and broccoli, thanks!" would suffice.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 PM

11,022 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Is it Taboo to eat healthily?
Quote:
3 weeks now I decided to cut out Animal products ...
Am I missing something? What's the link between cutting out animal products and eating healthily?

Eating healthily means cutting out sugar and all the crap that people generally eat and start eating salads and steamed veggies etcetera, etcetera (healthy stuff). Choosing to go vegan is a separate issue and places a huge burden on eating healthily or one will slowly start to die (from lack of nutrition).

To answer the OP's question, yes it is taboo to eat healthily. You have to be strong and stand your ground! Recently I was repeatedly being offered cake (even though they all know I don't eat sugar and crap) and eventually I said "no thanks, I don't eat sugar" (I left out the crap part) and one fellow (over weight) laughed at me saying everything has sugar in it. I replied "not in what I eat". He then said "what's in fruit?" Well, you can't win them all. I'm slim and he's overweight.

Quote:
You may need to improve your reading skills.

Last edited by 303Guy; 04-21-2015 at 11:42 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
3 weeks now I decided to cut out Animal products (so you are going vegan?) I do eat some occasionally(some what?) (in the form of Cookies (what do animal products have to do with cookies?) etc) at Friends and Family (is this a restaurant?)but I've realized the general response is ''Why'' as in just eat crap food once in a while at least.

Maybe you should care less about what others think of your eating habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss