Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:24 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I'm more interested in where you are walking and how you are computing those miles? How long is it taking you to walk those 10 miles each day? I actually know how long it takes me to walk 10,000 steps (measured and pedometered) and it's about 4 miles and isn't a hop, skip and a jump, but it DOES allow me to eat and drink just about anything, within a healthy reason, and I don't count anything...no calories, sodium, etc but do eat very healthy. The weight falls off with little effort on the 4 miles daily.
So, with you walking 10 miles, 5 days a week, I'd think you should be losing something.
My phone has a pedometer app. The app shows me both steps and miles walked. 20k steps is about 10 miles. Takes 3 hours of walking in fast pace to get to 20k steps.

But that was my initial concern to seeing the doctor. I have gained weight since November. My dies and exercise stayed the same, but weight increased. And is coming off in a very slow pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 08:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
You're not losing weight because your body is suffering. You're probably retaining water from all that salt. If what you claim you eat on a daily basis is really what you eat on a daily basis, then you are consuming MASSIVE amounts of salt, and you are basically a stroke and/or heart attack waiting to happen. You're a ticking time bomb, and walking isn't going to solve that.

If you don't drastically reduce your sodium intake, you might as well just walk to the hospital and check in, and save the ambulance the trouble.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're not losing weight because your body is suffering. You're probably retaining water from all that salt. If what you claim you eat on a daily basis is really what you eat on a daily basis, then you are consuming MASSIVE amounts of salt, and you are basically a stroke and/or heart attack waiting to happen. You're a ticking time bomb, and walking isn't going to solve that.

If you don't drastically reduce your sodium intake, you might as well just walk to the hospital and check in, and save the ambulance the trouble.
Right on, AnonChick! But while the OP has ears, will s/he listen? Seems some folks would rather die than change their food habits. Hard to understand or accept, but it's so. Maybe hearing an expert give advice will have some effect. Sure hope so. Digging a grave with your fork isn't necessary.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Two questions for OP:

1. How's your blood pressure and cholesterol?

2. How do you expect a dietician to benefit you if you're refusing to give up your current way of eating BEFORE you even see the doctor?

PS Drinking water will not "wash down" that boatload of salt and additives you're consuming daily. There could be trade-offs. Wild caught salmon steaks or filets sauteed or broiled with give you far more healthy vitamins and nutrients that the brine fish you're eating.
I do not think I eat a boat load of salt.

Last physical was in august and pressure was good, cholesterol was good. You would expect a person with a belly sticking out to have cholesterol, but I don't have it. I don't eat fried foods so I don't have cholesterol.

I don't eat significantly more salt and sodium then recommended dosage.
Sodium is used as preservative, I only get it from jerkey.

The process of brining stuff involves raising the salinity of the brine (water). So to brine 2 pounds of Kirby cucumbers, you would use 1 tables spoon of salt to the water ? So if you eat 1 pickle, how much salt is there?

The stuff you buy in the supermarkets has allot of sodium used as preservative, when you get it from a deli that has a shelf life less then a week, there is no sodium there.

AnonChick simply did not convince me she knows what she is talking about. Sounds like some-one who has read a part of self help book and now quoting popular catch phrases on the internet

Old 05-05-2015, 02:52 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,980,231 times
Quote:
So my question is about appetite suppressant. I get really hungry around midnight and can's sleep if I don't eat. If I could remove that munching, i would cut out some calories, so I need an appetite suppressant for the evening when I am the most hungriest.
There are healthy and wholesome foods that have a high satiety value, i.e. make you feel satisfied sooner and for longer. My favourite is avocado. Try fatty fish like salmon (fresh and not deep fried). Do a search on satiety.

Remember that cooking destroys and or removes nutrients from foods. The more it is cooked and boiled the more nutrients are lost.

You may be looking at a total diet lifestyle change. That is not a bad thing. Good and wholesome food is really enjoyable.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:00 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
I don't read self-help books, first of all.

Second, I got my sources for sodium content by checking several different nutrition websites (I wouldn't trust any singular one but if all the ones I check point to the same info, then the info is probably more accurate than not).

1 tablespoon salt is 2300 mg sodium.
3 pickles is around a pound.

Most of the sodium ends up in the pickle, but not all. So let's pare that down to "only" 1800 mg sodium for the actual pickles...which means a single pickle would have around 600 mg sodium.

Add that to the 2000 mg sodium in the beef jerky, and however much you add to the chicken sandwich, then however much you add to the smoked salmon.

Even without the beef jerky, you're consuming more sodium than is healthy for an average person.

You can check all of this for yourself.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 AM

180mg-240mg according to internet.

Your insane !

Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
180mg-240mg according to internet.

Your insane !
*You're

And from previous posts, *a lot, *lose

How do you find the time to walk 10 miles per day? That has to take at least 3 hours.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:08 AM

Now that it gets dark closer to 8 it's easier, before had to go to the GYM.

I am single, so it's not like I have kids to take care. Come home from work, 420 and go hiking. 6:15 to 7:45ish.

At work I try to find a reason to get up and go for a walk every hour. Problem with quitting smoking that I am used to get up and go on a smoke brake every hour. So yahh, walk like 5 min every hour while at work.

I have no idea what to substitute beef jerkey with, don't cold cuts have as much sodium as jerkey ?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:14 AM

Pickle is a source of pro-biotic, so when you sit down to eat family dinner, set the half-sour pickles on the table. If that pickle is the only salt consumed during the meal it's ok, but it is good for digestion. Yogurt might also have probiotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss