Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:43 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, I noticed that I did not get much stimulant-effect when I took the two together......as opposed to taking just straight Ephedrine.

I believe Gua has a sedative-effect on a lot of people....I assume it is a YMMV type thing!
I've only used the herbal ephedra and Bronkaid, so I don't have a anything else to compare it to. I have noticed that I didn't really get the stimulant effect that everyone talks about, though if I take it after about 4pm I can generally forget sleeping that night. Taking 500-1000mg of L-tyrosine with the EC stack does give it a lot more kick I've found.

Clenbuterol is more powerful but can only be used in two week cycles and you either need a prescription for it or buy it from an online pharmacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 09:36 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I've only used the herbal ephedra and Bronkaid, so I don't have a anything else to compare it to. I have noticed that I didn't really get the stimulant effect that everyone talks about, though if I take it after about 4pm I can generally forget sleeping that night. Taking 500-1000mg of L-tyrosine with the EC stack does give it a lot more kick I've found.

Clenbuterol is more powerful but can only be used in two week cycles and you either need a prescription for it or buy it from an online pharmacy.

Yeah, if you can, try some straight Ephedrine with no Gua.....it is a pretty good stimulant. Plain Ephedrine is hard to get in the USA and the prices are pretty crazy.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:57 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
I'm starting this thread for two purposes. First, as a way to essentially hold myself accountable on this diet, and as a way to show people what kind of progress can be made when you put your mind to it.

The Diet: Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Diet Second Edition

I've mentioned this diet repeatedly on these forums, having used in to great success in late 2011 and early 2012. I backslid last year though and put back on about a third of the weight, so I am going back to it again. Plan is to diet down to sub 15% bodyfat than begin a strength/bulking phase.

This is obviously a radical diet and not for everyone. I've found that it works better for me than a more moderate approach for several reasons, but your results may vary.

Current Stats: 6'0, 247 lbs. (Actual weight may be a little lower since I consumed a bunch of carbs on Sunday and my glycogen stores probably haven't been depleted yet, but that will adjust in a couple days)

Protein Intake
: Roughly 150grams/day as per the instructions, will increase further in the next few days though as I begin weight training again.

Supplements:

- Generic multivitamin/mineral, double dosed to cover any deficiencies.
- Calcium Citrate/Magnesium, standard dose
- Omega 3 capsules (1000mg) two caps taken twice daily
- EC stack (25mg ephedrine HCL/200mg caffeine) taken three times daily
- Creatine monohydrate currently in loading phase @ 25-30g per day for 4 more days, then taper down to maintenance phase of 10-12g per day.

Weigh-ins will be done once weekly, spaced roughly 5 days apart and before any free meals so as to get the most consistent circumstances possible. I don't expect much progress on the scale for the first week and maybe even a small gain due to increased water weight from the creatine loading, but actual fat loss should be 4-5lbs per week.

And so it begins...again.
Query why you favor this ketogenic diet versus a more traditional low carb high fat diet or even a rapid fat loss version of lchf like the Atkins Fat Fast?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Query why you favor this ketogenic diet versus a more traditional low carb high fat diet or even a rapid fat loss version of lchf like the Atkins Fat Fast?
This diet isn't a keto diet, technically. The correct term for it is "protein sparing modified fast" but it works a lot like a keto diet minus the dietary fat.

I picked this diet because it was the fastest way I found to lose weight safely.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:29 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
This diet isn't a keto diet, technically. The correct term for it is "protein sparing modified fast" but it works a lot like a keto diet minus the dietary fat.

I picked this diet because it was the fastest way I found to lose weight safely.
From the excerpt of chapter 1 of the book at your link:

"On average, caloric intakes on this diet will come out to between 400 to 1200 calories per day coming almost exclusively from protein. For those of you familiar with ketogenic (low- carbohydrate, high-fat) diets, a PSMF is essentially a ketogenic diet without the dietary fat. Obviously, this will represent a fairly large caloric deficit; how large depending on your starting body weight and activity levels."

Old 06-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
From the excerpt of chapter 1 of the book at your link:

"On average, caloric intakes on this diet will come out to between 400 to 1200 calories per day coming almost exclusively from protein. For those of you familiar with ketogenic (low- carbohydrate, high-fat) diets, a PSMF is essentially a ketogenic diet without the dietary fat. Obviously, this will represent a fairly large caloric deficit; how large depending on your starting body weight and activity levels."
That's basically what I said in my last post, it's like a keto but not the same.

On a side note, I've done a couple keto diets in the past (usually of the cyclical variety) and had good results.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:40 AM

Down to 230 today. Not bad for progress.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:16 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Down to 230 today. Not bad for progress.
Solid work! How are your lifts holding up?

Old 06-12-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Solid work! How are your lifts holding up?
Thanks! The progress could have been better but I wasn't as strict on the diet as I had a holiday, some birthdays and a wedding kinda clustered together.

Lifts have been going great, and I've been consistently adding weight to the lifts thus far. Normally you wouldn't be able to do that, but since I am coming off a long layoff I can still pull it off.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:58 PM

And down to 225lbs and two pants sizes.

BOOM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss