Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:53 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times

Advertisements

Annnnnd here goes another weight loss thread dragged into the bottomless vortex of the same tired old boring arguments by the same people who--I'd stake money on it--have never had to lose a pound in their lives.

Oh well. Better luck next time, ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Annnnnd here goes another weight loss thread dragged into the bottomless vortex of the same tired old boring arguments by the same people who--I'd stake money on it--have never had to lose a pound in their lives.

Sorry, LoriBee. I wish the mods would do something about this.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:29 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
One diet/weight loss strategy...does NOT fit all. We are all different. We all have different health issues etc to overcome...or figure out how to deal with. Medications can cause weight gain and fluctuations. Hormones of course do the same thing. Culture. Family. Stress. We all deal with it differently.

Coming together to try to offer others support, often times helps us and boosts our morale too. Sometimes we learn things from others...or see how they might have dealt with a certain stumbling block or two. It might give us an idea of a different road to travel, or course to take.

That's great for the ones who can eat anything and not have weight issues. I wish we could all be like that. But that is not realistic.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:33 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
So please, I BEG YOU, stop insulting the people on this thread who are trying to provide support to each other.

Quote:

Unfortunately, it's a City-Data sport - perhaps even a competitive one - to belittle overweight people who are discussing ways to improve their health and to seek support. Nearly every weight loss thread degenerates when the know-it-alls show up and start throwing around words like lazy, excuses, unmotivated, etc. You get the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I typically stay off of message boards with this type of info because people won't accept it, much like many of my patients won't accept it at the rehabilitation center that I work at.
Golly, how did we get so lucky?

Old 06-16-2015, 01:50 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Please provide peer reviews studies that backs up that claim.
Do it yourself

I'm not your dad, and my services aren't free.

The fact that you're even disputing the consumption of red meat lets me know that you are completely uneducated in regards to this topic. There are literally mountains of scholarly journals on everything I have posted.

Dairy and grains can have both positive and negative health benefits; however, one of those negative benefits is that they can lead to weight gain even when consumed in moderation for many of us. Are they going to kill you? probably not, but remove them from your diet and watch what happens.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:53 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Do it yourself

The fact that you're even disputing the consumption of red meat lets me know that you are completely uneducated in regards to this topic. There are literally mountains of scholarly journals on everything I have posted.

Dairy and grains can have both positive and negative health benefits; however, one of those negative benefits is that they can lead to weight gain even when consumed in moderation for many of us. Are they going to kill you? probably not, but remove them from your diet and watch what happens.

So, which calcium supplement do you recommend?

Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Unfortunately, it's a City-Data sport - perhaps even a competitive one - to belittle overweight people who are discussing ways to improve their health and to seek support. Nearly every weight loss thread degenerates when the know-it-alls show up and start throwing around words like lazy, excuses, unmotivated, etc. You get the picture.

Golly, how did we get so lucky?
Nobody is belittling you. Weight management is very difficult for a lot of people.

Also. being lazy or unmotivated is something most people honestly don't have as much control over as we would like to believe. Most people that are strong willed already had a pre-genetic disposition to be that way. This is why environmental factors are so important for those that weren't born that way. Behaviorism plays a huge role in this stuff as well. The reward for eating a piece of candy can be greater for one person than another. The same can be said for exercise.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've noticed that as I've been reading here a bit more. There are some astoundingly mean-spirited posts on this forum. Calling people "lard buckets" is okay here? Really? This forum should come with a warning if that's the kind of stuff that's allowed.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:08 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Do it yourself

Just like I thought. You can't.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:

I know I can be a PITA. But its a peeve of mine when people come on this board and start making ridiculous statements that cannot be backed up.
I am a firm believer that everyone needs to find their own path of what works for them. Not everyone is the same. So called 'experts' come on and tell us to stop eating certain food groups and its nonsense. If they prefaced it with, 'this is what worked for me', it would be more welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss